Aug 10, 2019
Brantford, ON
VetteCoins
Car
19 C7 2LT
Province
ON
General Motors (GM) says it's doing the right thing for its business by driving away from the popular Apple (AAPL) CarPlay infotainment experience.

"There are many manufacturers today that don't have CarPlay," GM CFO Paul Jacobson said on Yahoo Finance Live. "But I think we recognize that the burden's on us. If we're going to take that feature out of our vehicles, we need to respond with a program and a customer package that is equally as compelling, if not more compelling. We think with the partnership we have with Google and ultimately with the vehicle data we have, we can create an experience that customers are going to love."

The auto giant said in late March it would phase out Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, despite the strong consumer preference to use the platforms for everything from maps to music controls. Apple CarPlay is supported in 800 vehicles, the tech giant said.

In place of CarPlay, GM will stand up a new built-in infotainment system developed with Google (GOOG, GOOGL) for its future line of EVs.

GM will begin the phase-out process of CarPlay with the 2024 Chevy Blazer EV.

By making the move, the company is aiming to collect more of its own data to not only better understand drivers, but to pad its longer-term profit margins.

GM told investors on Tuesday it's looking to achieve profit margins of more than 20% on "new businesses" by 2030. That would be above the company's overall 2030 operating margin goal of 12% to 14%.

Pros have speculated GM could charge subscriptions for services such as insurance by tapping into an accumulating stream of data that it owns.

"It's part of where we're going as a company," Jacobson added. "Obviously data and software is a big competitive space across the board."

Source: Here's why GM is dropping Apple CarPlay

• Wow
Reactions: OL Yeller
Why do I see another GM screw up on the horizon? Good to see the consultation process with "their" customers is well under way.

"By making the move, the company is aiming to collect more of its own data to not only better understand drivers, but to pad its longer-term profit margins". Can I get on a waiting list or something?

Soon, toilets will come with built in data collectors sending personal info to manufacturers. Take a giant $hlt and suddenly Google will start flooding you with giant toilet paper ads, laxative ads, fiber diet ads, and in some cases, XXXL condom ads (lol). Sad enough as it is, I wonder what level of privacy mankind will have in another 20 years.

Soon, toilets will come with built in data collectors sending personal info to manufacturers. Take a giant $hlt and suddenly Google will start flooding you with giant toilet paper ads, laxative ads, fiber diet ads, and in some cases, XXXL condom ads (lol). Sad enough as it is, I wonder what level of privacy mankind will have in another 20 years.
Sorry, the condom comment made me spit my oatmeal.:rofl:

Um, unless I miss my guess, Google is Android, and Android is Google? So, really, they're only moving away from Apple?
They're removing both phone mirroring apps. Yes the underlying OS in your car will be Android Automotive (which isn't the same as Android Auto), but of course it won't be your phone driving it. Probably the biggest pain will be the need for another data subscription to get live info for things like Maps.

Personally I don't really like mirroring Android Auto from my phone, so I'll continue to Bluetooth in my music and phone calls, and use my phone's screen for navigation.

If I had a data plan, I guess it would matter more to me.
We've always got by without, but we're older and probably would pay for data/talk we'd never use.
Or misjudge our needs and get too little, and pay overages.
If only US plans worked here, they're cheap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.