Jan 10, 2018
calgary
VetteCoins
Car
2007 c6
I went to start the car the other day. The doors worked, ignition button lit up but would not start when I pushed ignition. Dash lights worked though. I figured it was the battery because it is over 5 years old. I put a battery tender on it to see if it was low. Seems like as soon as I hooked up the battery tender, I had no power to anything. No doors,ignition or anything. Is there a fuse I could have blown? Is it just the battery?

Do you have a conventional battery charger? If the battery is completely discharged the tender may not recharge it fully, they will eventually but tenders really are made to keep the battery on a float charge..

These cars are so sensitive to voltage, if it is not where it should be it can cause lots of issues. Check your battery cables to make sure they are tight, don't over tighten them however (8 foot pounds?)

Is your battery easy to get to?
I don’t lend my tools but, if needed, I have a tester that I can bring over later today if you want to check it. I’ve got some family time going on until about 3:30 and then I can pop over if you have your battery accessible (hooked up in the car is fine) I can also bring a second tender (process of elimination of simple things it could be). Using your second key fob (nearby or put in slot) would be another “simple test” as well.

Curious: Was your battery tendered through the past three months of constant cold (if your garage wasn’t heated) and anything like the doors locked and alarm being engaged? This would lead toward a battery replacement if not tendered.

.... now I’ve got to go start mine up today to make sure .... sorry to hear of this for you.

Last edited:
I went to start the car the other day. The doors worked, ignition button lit up but would not start when I pushed ignition. Dash lights worked though. I figured it was the battery because it is over 5 years old. I put a battery tender on it to see if it was low. Seems like as soon as I hooked up the battery tender, I had no power to anything. No doors,ignition or anything. Is there a fuse I could have blown? Is it just the battery?

These problems are frustrating. I recommend getting a good smart charger that shows the actual voltage and % of your battery’s charge. These things will also tell you if your battery is in done.
They will work as a tender or charger. Some will even boost.
A bit of time on google and at Canadian Tire will find you a good one. They are not ridiculously expensive either.
Hope you find the gremlins quick. 👍