Derek, how many have you had?:Confused5: Did that one leave because of the in floor heating?:Biggrin: Damn life is complicated.
Derek likes that particular garage .... appears to have three unfinished bays .... plus his (so I'd guess 3?) ;)
...I hope I am not out of line with my friend ... as I have a two bay garage (1 plus mine) :angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
If I ever had my "dream" garage, it would be a 30' x 60' minimum, 20' high ceiling, heated flooring with infrared heating above, with a perimeter type mezzanine around the upper portion for office, parts storage, etc. This would facilitate several hoists in the middle portion, and still have lots of usable extra space. Outside would have a deck around one side for barbecuing, entertaining and relaxing. A separate smaller but attached building would be beside for paint, powdercoat and sandblasting. I have had it planned in my head many years back, now I just need that lottery ticket to pay out.

If I ever had my "dream" garage, it would be a 30' x 60' minimum, 20' high ceiling, heated flooring with infrared heating above, with a perimeter type mezzanine around the upper portion for office, parts storage, etc. This would facilitate several hoists in the middle portion, and still have lots of usable extra space. Outside would have a deck around one side for barbecuing, entertaining and relaxing. A separate smaller but attached building would be beside for paint, powdercoat and sandblasting. I have had it planned in my head many years back, now I just need that lottery ticket to pay out.
... consider additional building area for sustainable revenue options of storing selective applicant vehicles (hopefully not just Blue ones) (ZR1's cost extra)
... as I am pretty sure you will have a great referral base and the benefit of four-legged rodent protection

... consider additional building area for sustainable revenue options of storing selective applicant vehicles (hopefully not just Blue ones) (ZR1's cost extra)
... as I am pretty sure you will have a great referral base and the benefit of four-legged rodent protection

Yes, a separate building for heated storage would be a granted. If we can dream, then a geo-thermal underground storage garage with black and white checkered floor would be in the plan as well.

Yes, there will be more than just blue ones, lot's more. ;)

Yes, a separate building for heated storage would be a granted. If we can dream, then a geo-thermal underground storage garage with black and white checkered floor would be in the plan as well.

OK ... you know what I do for a living - in the construction industry to help visualize the spending of other people's money before digging (yup 'a dreamer' too)...
consider go underground with maybe an internal ramp to storage below with the geo-thermal equipment ... and most import - save on the cost of two footprints.
While I am spending your money, we can propose and price out the infrastructure to harvest the energy from above as well.
(just in case you decide the rechargeable electric Corvette is something you want to tinker with)
(just so that you have some gas money left over for cruising with the gas guzzlers)
... I am envisioning the new Winning (or Dreaming) Lotto Max Commercial now that features Ziggy :thumbs:

Last edited:
OK ... you know what I do for a living ...
go underground with a ramp for the storage, to house the geo-thermal equipment, keep the above-grade footprint minimized ...
and most import - save on structure costs (so you have gas money for cruising)

No worries, when I win that lottery you will be hired. I think we are on the same page.

Sorry, I'm done dreaming, back to work and to the OP thread.

Ahhhhhh..... geo-thermal.... the buzz word of the late 90's is in the news again I see..It was a 'hot' topic that cooled quickly back then... Hopefully drawing from abandoned gas and oil wells turns in better actual results than the shallow well installations two decades ago...

Your dream garage sounds great Zig. Don't forget the beer fridge.... :thumbs:

Jim, I retired in 2015 and moved back to the family homestead in Nova Scotia. We knocked down a large barn and put an extension on the house which included a garage. Prior to settling on the plans for the garage I gave it a fair bit of thought. We wanted it to match the style of the house and I had to be reasonable about how big it was to be. While searching on the internet I found one that another chap was building and used that as my guide. I wanted to be able to park 2 cars side-by-side with room for a third across the back for winter storage. I also wanted to give myself the option to have a lift and the 12/12 pitched open ceiling gives me that future option. I ended up with a width of 22 and 1/2 feet and a depth of 30 feet measured "curb-to-curb" inside the garage. I'm a visual guy so I'll give you some pictures to look at. We're still sorting out stuff so there will eventually be a little more free space around the edges.
1515853217482-613717996.jpg
I'll acknowledge up front that this garage is too small for what you want however this will give you an idea of what this size looks like once you fill it up with cars and such! I'll upload some external and other pictures in another post from my other computer as well. Hope this helps and good luck as you venture down the path ahead of you!
Doug
20180113_084519.jpg
20180113_084850.jpg
20180113_084606.jpg
20180113_085023.jpg
20180113_084527.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few build pics starting with the gap left by the demolished barn and ending with where we are today. I installed infloor heating and a center floor drain as well as a hose outlet and laundry tub with hot/cold, ran cable for TV and wire from the stereo stack for tunes - put in lots of outlets along the wall (that way you can put the beer fridge wherever you want!). It certainly works for me as in the summer my father-in-law's Model A is stored elsewhere thus freeing up additional space.
Doug
12 May 15 Download 032.JPG
13 June 15 Download 006.JPG
17 June 15 Download 076.JPG
7 Jul 15 Download 2015-07-07 001.JPG
7 Jul 15 Download 2015-07-07 004.JPG
29 Dec 17 Download DNCMR 2017-12-29 037.JPG

I have a standard two car garage that is not big enough for two cars comfortably. 22x24.
Been dreaming lately about my ultimate dream garage. It would have a lift of course and a wash bay which could be multi purpose. Plus a entertainment area with big screen tv and all the extras. A small kitchen and outside bbq area would have to be part of it. Somewhere to host my car and bike buddies.

And now back to the real world the the only maybe useful advise I have is to have 12 ceilings to accommodate those two teir car storage racks if you ever need one.

Have fun and the best of luck....Millgrove is a nice area. Our corvette club uses the Dutch Mill as a starting point for some of our cruises.

Cheers

Kevin

Well I'll be 65 this March and have come to the conclusion that you can't take it with you so I decided to buy a place just outside the city (Millgrove Ont.) with a big enough lot to build my dream garage. I want to put in a 2 post lift and have enough room for a work bench, tool box, compressor, storage room and oh yeah a beer fridge. I'm thinking 30 wide and 40 deep but not sure 30 wide is wide enough for three cars unless they're parked close together so I'll call it a wide 2 car. That way I can work on both cars if necessary without fear of hitting one with a jack handle or what ever. Has anyone on this forum built a garage that can give me some ideas on size and configuration to help with ideas? I'm in the beginning stages of this but would like to start on it in the spring.
Thanks
Jim

Lots to ponder with all the suggestions and advice. I'm in the wider than deeper camp if you space allows. The max that I could build due to zoning was 34'W x 25'D. I also had height restrictions but I was able to get 10' 2" in height which allowed me to put a 4post lift thereby getting 4 parking spaces as opposed to 3. If anyone is considering building and code does not allow the square footage you're after, consider going higher in case you ever want to get a lift.

Sorry for the very long delay for an update. A lot has happened over the past year and a half. dealing with the trades has been a blessing and a huge frustration. Anybody that tells you (if you live in the Hamilton municipality) that getting permits and help with building issues in the area difficult is dead wrong as I breezed through the process. It's amazing what you can do if you just pay them! It's not quite finished yet but close. Yep, over budget and not finished is par for the course. I had to build it 34 wide and 37 deep and a 13 foot ceiling. I couldn't go wider because of the side setback from the lot line (3 metres) and the clearance from the septic bed. The rear setback was 7.5 metres. The only real issue I have is my concrete floor didn't come out as planned and started blistering. Concrete guy ripped out 1200 sq. ft. and redid it. After 2 weeks I noticed it was blistering again. This time he won't even return my calls, mainly because I paid him. The first floor blistered within 3 days and I hadn't paid him. After the second floor was poured I waited 2 weeks before sending the cheque but it appeared I didn't wait long enough. Can't wait to get the heat in and get the 2 post lift installed.

20191022_162551.jpg

20191022_153351.jpg
20191017_163712.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Sorry for the very long delay for an update. A lot has happened over the past year and a half. dealing with the trades has been a blessing and a huge frustration. Anybody that tells you (if you live in the Hamilton municipality) that getting permits and help with building issues in the area difficult is dead wrong as I breezed through the process. It's amazing what you can do if you just pay them! It's not quite finished yet but close. Yep, over budget and not finished is par for the course. I had to build it 34 wide and 37 deep and a 13 foot ceiling. I couldn't go wider because of the side setback from the lot line (3 metres) and the clearance from the septic bed. The rear setback was 7.5 metres. The only real issue I have is my concrete floor didn't come out as planned and started blistering. Concrete guy ripped out 1200 sq. ft. and redid it. After 2 weeks I noticed it was blistering again. This time he won't even return my calls, mainly because I paid him. The first floor blistered within 3 days and I hadn't paid him. After the second floor was poured I waited 2 weeks before sending the cheque but it appeared I didn't wait long enough. Can't wait to get the heat in and get the 2 post lift installed.

View attachment 33067

View attachment 33068View attachment 33069
That's a shame Jim.There's a lot of potential things that cause fresh concete to blister and pretty much all of them are either the fault of the installer (finishing) or not quite as often, the fault of the mix (air entrainment). Blisters are usually trapped air or bleed water that is trying to get out through the already set up surface as the deeper concrete sets up. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do but if you plan on finishing, sealing, etc. the blisters will pop as the floor sees traffic and it leaves a mess in the finish.

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.