Sep 12, 2011
Somerset, Kings County, Nova Scotia, Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2004 Coupe
First off, let me introduce myseft to the C5 Forum since I've previously only darkened the halls of the C3 gang! I'm retired military now living in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia. My wife and I purchased a '75 L-82 Coupe back in 2011 which we sold this month after we found a '04 Coupe that gave us a few more creature comforts! Did I mention I am now retired... You get my drift I'm sure.

So that leads me to today. I've had the '04 out about a half dozen times, including a day-cruise with the Nova Scotia Corvette Club, and when I backed into the garage this evening and shifted to drive (automatic transmission) the shifter moved without any resistance (my first clue) and I could still see the reflection of the back-up lights (second clue) behind the car. I moved the shifter full spectrum several times and did manage to get the transmission into park; and that where it sits now.

I'm not a technical guy, however my first guess is the whatever connects the shifter atop the tunnel to the transmission underneath (clip/nut/cable...?) has simply let go or broken. Unlike the C3, looking under the C5 doesn't provide any immediate info. Before I go chasing the wind, I thought that I would seek the wisdom of those of you who have been driving a C5 a lot longer than I have. Any suggestions as to where to begin....?

VV / Doug

PS Eveyone likes pictures so here's a few of the pair:
20170619_165033_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20170619_165245_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20170619_165445_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Hi Doug..
I can't immediately help you with shifter issue...sorry pal.
There is a short rod/linkage from the shifter to the trans( now located in the rear of a C5.)
I'm hoping it us just a clip or something similar that holds the rod in place?

I love the pictures.. a nice pair.
It must have been tough to let the C3 go.
I hope you enjoy your C5 as much as Bev & I like ours.

Graham

Hi Graham, I did the YouTube search and there's a number of fine "how to" videos that show the metre long shifter cable and the clips on both ends that have a long history of failing when they get old and brittle (don't we all...but I digress). So the only question may be: which end failed? Then it's where can I get the replacement part? But I'll leave that for later in the week when I can remove the shifter and have a look.The good news is that it failed while backing in to the garage; not on some back road a million miles from home....at night!

Yes, it was bittersweet seeing the C3 go. Chap who purchased it lives just a ways up the road so we'll see the Vette now and again for a bit (he plans on relocating to the west coast in due course). Like our 1912 Model T that we sold to another chap almost within view down the road, our old cars leave us but stay pretty close by and drop in evey now and again! Reminds me of our kids...

VV / Doug

Doug, I have the 03 GM manuals if I can look anything up for you let me know. At the moment I do not have a scanner but could figure something out.

Good luck getting this sorted, hopefully a clip just unclipped. I like your story on your past cars and kids.

Reactions: Valley Vette
Hi Doug, Congrats on the new car. Hope you fix the problem.

One thing to consider is upgrading the tunnel plate while your in there, Manny Dasilva has a heavier aluminum insulated tunnel plate and insulation kit that replaces the stock stamped steel tunnel plate. It helps stiffen the chassis and the insulation kit helps with reducing cabin heat around the consul area.

Hey Doug, that's a beautiful C5 you picked up. I'm sure it will be a quick fix, and nothing major, but unfortunately I myself, am not too familiar with the auto's in the C5's.

Doug, I have the 03 GM manuals if I can look anything up for you let me know. At the moment I do not have a scanner but could figure something out.

Good luck getting this sorted, hopefully a clip just unclipped. I like your story on your past cars and kids.
Perhaps there is one thing you might be able to assist me with. While there are lots of YouTube videos showing removal of the center console all of them seem to have the manual transmission. Obviously the shifter stick is different than mine in my automatic however I presume that the first step in removal is the same and that is to remove the top of the shifter. In the manual transmission, you pry off the plastic piece atop the stick and I presume that for the automatic you would have to carefully pry off the spring-loaded plastic button atop the shifter. Can you confirm that for me? After that, the remainder of the removal is identical. Thanks in advance,

VV / Doug

Hi Doug, Congrats on the new car. Hope you fix the problem.

One thing to consider is upgrading the tunnel plate while your in there, Manny Dasilva has a heavier aluminum insulated tunnel plate and insulation kit that replaces the stock stamped steel tunnel plate. It helps stiffen the chassis and the insulation kit helps with reducing cabin heat around the consul area.
Thanks for the info.

VV

Welcome to the C5 side! I have a manual so I'm no help. Sounds like there's some help with murray and the manuals. Book manuals, not transmission type manuals. :D
Anyway, the car looks great! Love the C6 wheels on the C5.

I did some more research on the net this morning and it appeared that the automatic shifter is a complete unit and you don't need to take the shifter top off to remove it. So with that as an approach I started to take pieces off.... and so far so good. Here's where I'm at and when I take the shifter out I'll give you an update on what I find underneath. Based on how easily the shifter moves forward and aft, my guess is I will find nothing underneath rather than the the cable that's supposed to be attached!

20170624_113346.jpg

First off, let me introduce myseft to the C5 Forum since I've previously only darkened the halls of the C3 gang! I'm retired military now living in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia. My wife and I purchased a '75 L-82 Coupe back in 2011 which we sold this month after we found a '04 Coupe that gave us a few more creature comforts! Did I mention I am now retired... You get my drift I'm sure.

So that leads me to today. I've had the '04 out about a half dozen times, including a day-cruise with the Nova Scotia Corvette Club, and when I backed into the garage this evening and shifted to drive (automatic transmission) the shifter moved without any resistance (my first clue) and I could still see the reflection of the back-up lights (second clue) behind the car. I moved the shifter full spectrum several times and did manage to get the transmission into park; and that where it sits now.

I'm not a technical guy, however my first guess is the whatever connects the shifter atop the tunnel to the transmission underneath (clip/nut/cable...?) has simply let go or broken. Unlike the C3, looking under the C5 doesn't provide any immediate info. Before I go chasing the wind, I thought that I would seek the wisdom of those of you who have been driving a C5 a lot longer than I have. Any suggestions as to where to begin....?

VV / Doug

PS Eveyone likes pictures so here's a few of the pair:View attachment 9573View attachment 9575View attachment 9576
Doug: I love the pics and hope you get the tech issue figured out - C5 one of my favs. Thank you for your service & all the best in your retirement.

As suspected and expected, there was nothing on the end of the shifter and in this picture you can see the end of the shift cable laying in the tunnel. At this point it would have simply been a matter of replacing the grommet however in my youthful exuberance to remove the old grommet on the end of the shift cable I apparently over-stressed the cable's plastic attachment point which promptly failed (read snapped). So now the solution is a new shift cable rather than just a grommet. I suppose the good news is that the grommet would have cost $25US plus international shipping, and obviously all of the plastic pieces had become brittle with age and prone to failure, while a complete shift cable is a mere $125 Canadian and all fresh out of the package. And by reaching into the tunnel I can shift the gears which is more good news as I expect that the replacement of the complete cable maybe beyond my reach so I may have to drive to a shop. The bad news most likely will be the cost of having someone else replace the complete cable.... Oh well, live and learn, it's 5:00 somewhere!
VV
20170624_124638.jpg

Doug....
Sorry to hear you couldn't just add a new 'CIR-clip' and be back on the road.
You are correct, a whole new cable assembly would be the best idea at this point.
I honestly thought it was a shift-rod, not a cable.
I'm not at home at present so I couldn't check my manuals.
Thank you for the pictures..I and others may be in the same situation someday.
Get 'Er done.

Graham

:nailbiting: you have me on the edge of my seat ... please make sure to post your happy ending paragraph ... as I see you have a plan for attack and you will likely be busy with it :thumbs:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.