Obituary for Garry D. Ropchan at Peace River - service link for more information
garry.jpg

:Angelsad2: another Corvette driver in heaven where you can drive all day, every day. It is so sad to read of Garry's passing when we all prayed for a different outcome. I have no words to add that have not already been said but I certainly hope that if any of his family read what has been written in this thread that they will take some comfort in knowing that Garry has touched the hearts of a lot of us and remains an inspiration in how to live. My sincerest condolences.

Well,I for one was shocked speechless last week upon opening an email from Spence. The tears came before I finished reading it and flowed for awhile.

Last April,Spence,Jeremiad and myself went to the Foothills hospital to visit Garry ( my first time meeting him). Upon arrival in his room,we were greeted by his mother with the biggest,sweetest hug and light kiss on my left cheek I’ve ever gotten. Garry gave us the biggest smile I’ve seen someone give to total strangers and then his right arm reaching for handshakes,and then a solid man hug. Right then,I was sitting in my living room. That’s how I felt.

I can’t speak for Spence or Jeremiad but I immediately felt that this man was a friend i just hadn’t seen in a few months. All
My nerves fell to the floor and I was relaxed immediately. For 3 hours we talked Corvettes. We talked farming. We talked about cancer. His Mother talked about my eyes !! Lol. She said I have beautiful blue eyes. I joked it was the reflection of me staring at my car so much !! We talked about a lot of stuff We talked about me driving the big 8 wheel tractor he has. He said I could “have at it”. I told him I would take him up on that.

For those of you who never met the man and only “saw” him here, you missed out on a first class guy. The 3 hours I sat in that room were by far the best 3 hours I’ve spent with anyone who has welcomed me into their life. Regardless of the circumstances,Garry was a fierce,tough,determined and focused guy. He was more than willing to bring us in to share his story. I can’t tell you how many times I came close to losing my tears. Very close a couple of times.

And Murray,like you.... I’m having a really hard time with this. It doesn’t take me long to well up when I think of our visit with him. I’ve cried a few times this week already as well as,,,,,well now. Just a little mind you. 😉.

He was first class in every aspect of the word. My thoughts and tears go out to his Mother. I saw the pride she had in her son and I saw the pride and thankfulness she showed us for making the effort to come see her son. More than anything,I’m grateful and humbled to be a small part of some comfort to him. I certainly hope we brought something to him because I left there with something he gave me. He fought hard. Tougher than a lot of “us” by far. A tough Alberta Farmer.

RIP Garry. You will be missed and thought of often.

Mikey, what a beautiful tribute to Garry. You guys brought some true joy into his life at a difficult time and he repaid it with friendship. That is special indeed.

I can't tell you how glad I am to see your post here. You have been missed Mikey.

Take care of yourself.

Murray

A family tradition of ours is when a family member passes we buy a small momento representing that person and it is placed on the dining table at special family dinners. The day that Garry passed I saw this model and bought it to place in my collection in his remembrance.
View attachment 23248

I've been looking for one, actually, for similar reasons. Where did you find it?

Reactions: YFCvii
:Angelsad2: A great loss to the world by Garry's passing. His outlook and desire can be a lesson to all as to a courageous, honest and always friendly man. As much as everyone that knew, or knew of Garry are saddened by this news, we can trust that he is, at this moment, sliding into the seat of a velocity yellow, supercharged C6, gazing upon a Corvette full throttle road in front of him. And of course with the signature 'Garry' smile on his face. Rest in peace my friend.
The smile Eric. That’s what lit up his room. You’ll never see one like it again.

I've been looking for one, actually, for similar reasons. Where did you find it?

KevinB

Regular
C6 Owner
Sep 19, 2017
Freelton Ontario
Best answers
VetteCoins
Car
2010 Coupe M6 Blade
Reactions

2 minutes ago
Hi I found one at another store. If you send me your mailing address I will send it to you when I get home in April.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread