Feb 1, 2013
Cambridge Ont
VetteCoins
Car
2009 Silver Coupe
Hi everybody, I have just looked at a car that didn't have the H.U.D. Do owners with this feature find it useful or is it a bit of a gimmick? I have never driven a car with this option so have no experience of it. Is it a worthwhile option? My first reaction is "I bet that is expensive to fix". Are they reliable? Looking forward to hearing members opinions on this.

Good afternoon Laticsfan,

I was amused by the novelty of it at first, it is sort of cool. I wish it had more options for data it could display. Seeing it clearly in bright sunlight is a challenge I find, at night time it is great.

Manny is setting up my car with a secondary display to allow AFR and things of that nature to be displayed on the HUD so we'll see how much I like that.

Might have been interesting to have a numerical tachometer along with the digital gauge type..........

It is fun to watch sometimes but the point that a lot of fellows make is that if you're deep into the throttle you don't want to take your eyes of the road. But I also find that using it for things like water temp and oil pressure and not having to drop my eyes down too far is convenient to be sure.

If your car was otherwise everything you were looking for I wouldn't let a lack of HUD be a deal breaker. Being in Cambridge and apparently a stone's throw from Dasilva I have no doubt that the people there could HUD you on a moments notice!!

Cheers,

Garry

Hi everybody, I have just looked at a car that didn't have the H.U.D. Do owners with this feature find it useful or is it a bit of a gimmick? I have never driven a car with this option so have no experience of it. Is it a worthwhile option? My first reaction is "I bet that is expensive to fix". Are they reliable? Looking forward to hearing members opinions on this.

I hadn't had it b4 my first 'vette but I do love it and wouldn't buy another without it. (should it be available)
Not gimmicky at all. Very functional and useful.

I've not have any issues with mine and have read of only a few issues with them. If I were you I wouldn't make it a deal breaker, but if you can get it, do so. You'll like it.

c.

Last edited:
I hadn't had it b4 my first 'vette but I do love it wouldn't buy another without it.
Not gimmicky at all. Very functional and useful.

I've not have any issues with mine and have read of only a few issues with them. If I were you I wouldn't make it a deal breaker, but if you can get it, do so. You'll like it.

c.

:agree: I too would always want the HUD in a new car if available as an option.

It took about an hour to get used to the HUD. I LOVE it. It's also pretty simple and don't think it would ever need fixing--and if so, they can be installed for not that much. Brand new.

I recommend it--and find it totally functional--especially for making youtube videos! :)
[mob][/mob]

Ours has it and it is ok but the graphics are on par with the first computers ever built with green letters and black background. It's about 30 years behind the times in the graphics department. I certainly wouldn't pay $375+ to get as an option and actually, I seldom even look at it. That's just me. Others obviously like it and that is fine too.

Ours has it and it is ok but the graphics are on par with the first computers ever built with green letters and black background. It's about 30 years behind the times in the graphics department. I certainly wouldn't pay $375+ to get as an option and actually, I seldom even look at it. That's just me. Others obviously like it and that is fine too.

Not everyone likes it ... but you can turn it off if you wish should you find it distracting.

C.

I have it on mine and really like it. Nice feature to have..You will like it a lot.

You can always install one after if you buy one without HUD...Not difficult to do. Can always get Manny and the boys to install for you if you are not up to the task

Here is a write up from another forum:

Installed a HUD a few weeks ago without a hitch. Thought I would do a write-up with some TIPs, many of which I wish I would have known to speed my install. Should take no more than 2-3 hours with this "cut the a/c duct" procedure. PCMusicGuy's PDF was most valuable and I suggest you get it, especially if you make your own harness as I did.

1) Pull dash surround bezel by prying on both bottom corners (below right start button and left a/c vent) with a scratch-free tool. Once those areas pop out, you can work your fingers around, popping off the bezel. TIP: may have to lift top of dash slightly to remove and re-install this piece AND the instument cluster. Remove the dimmer, DIC, start and sensor plugs during removal. Remove the left pod dummy piece and install the new HUD switch.

2) With a 7mm nutdriver, remove the 4 cluster screws and the 1 left a/c vent retaining screw. Pull the cluster out, disconnecting the gray and black plugs.

3) Using a hacksaw that is an open blade on one end with a handle on the other, carefully cut the large duct on the right side. TIP: Don't just cut it wide enough to get the projector in - you need some room to get your hand in to tighten the right nut. You will want to cut it fairly close to the sensor that is screwed into the duct.

4) Once the duct is cut completely through, pull on it to yank it out which will break off the mounting tab on the left side. You can now remove the filler bezel on top of the dash and replace it with the HUD bezel. TIP: This is done by pushing the panel forward (toward the windshield) and pulling it up and out of the slots.

5) Fit projector into dash working it onto the 2 studs. I cut a notch in the left mounting ear so the projector can be dropped over the right stud and then swung over onto the left stud without having to lift it over the stud. Might try this if clearance is tight. To secue the back of the projector, get a J-nut or Speednut with screw and washer. A J-nut might slide over the leg of the projector but since there is a channel inside the leg you can just hold it in position while starting the screw. The rectangular speednut will not spin while tightening the screw (with a stubby screwdriver) because it is caught inside the channel of the leg. Install 2 6mm nylon locknuts with flatwashers on the studs. Hard to get to but can be done. TIP: use a 10mm ratcheting box end wrench since it is tight in there.

6) Reinstall a/c duct. I recommend aluminum HVAC tape over duct tape. TIP: first place a piece or two of tape on the top of the duct before inserting the cut-off section as it is hard to work tape around the top after installing it. Make sure tape is worked all the way around. Reinstall screw at left vent.

7) Time to wire it up. Plug in the brown HUD connector. Cut back the tape from the gray and black cluster plugs about where the 2 groups of wire meet into one. TIP: clean up the sticky wires with something like degreaser, acetone or paint thinner. You will need 6 red wire splices that either come with your harness or from Radio Shack (bag of 7 for $1.99)

8) Make your connections according to directions. I will do a HUD harness write which has how I did it. TIP: I used a continuity tester to make sure my connections were right.

9) Connect gray and black plugs and reinstall instrument cluster using the 4 screws. TIP: Make sure all plugs are sticking out where they need to be. The 2 blue connectors (one for DIC switch and one for HUD switch) should be sticking out of the upper left and right corners. Don't let the DIC plug fall down with the start button plug.

10) Reconnect all the plugs into the surround. TIP: Before installing surround by snapping back in at all spring clips, do a test of the HUD by starting the car and seeing if all functions work.

True Peter -- I've also read about retrofitting the HUD -- good option if you find a car without it.
I heard of different colours for the display now -- tho I like the green just fine.
C.

My 03 was my first experience and it took me awhile to get use to it .My C6 also has it ,which I enjoy .It's probably my favorite option .

Now if ya asked about Navigation most owners would say it either sucks or worthless .

My 03 was my first experience and it took me awhile to get use to it .My C6 also has it ,which I enjoy .It's probably my favorite option .

Now if ya asked about Navigation most owners would say it either sucks or worthless .

I'm actually used to it now and like my Navi.
It's not as good as my Garmin but it's built in which I like.

C.

Here is a good deal on a HUD going for $359 down from $599 at Parts Taxi if you want to install yourself

Vehicle Specific Catalogs Search Accessory Catalogs: [ ] [Search!]

View Full Image
Printable Page
Email This Page

Add to Order
MSRP: $599.00
Your Price: $599.00
$359.98
Item Number: C6HUD
Quantity: 1 Each

Complete C6 Hud Installation Kit
CLICK ON TABS TO EXPLORE DETAILS ________________________________________

Description

This kit includes all parts needed to add Heads Up Display (HUD) to your C6 that wasn't orginally equipt with it.
This kit includes;
HUD Display
HUD Switch
HUD Bezel
Custom Wiring Harness
2 6mm nuts
1 6mm bolt
1 J-Nut
Detailed instructions
The Display, switch and bezel are oem GM parts, just as would be from the factory. The harness is a custom wiring harness that we have an outside firm manufacturing for us. The instructions are not full of technical jargon, this is a write up done by a fellow car guy that is publically available on different forums.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.