Dec 26, 2009
Ponoka, AB.
VetteCoins
Car
2014 C7 3LT Z51
Province
AB
Ok here goes in trying to explain this........ Sounds to me like a light grinding noise possibly from the differential when its not under load and I'm in a tight turn. eg. When I'm rolling backwards out of my driveway I can have the clutch peddle down or it in neutral.....if I'm rolling straight back no noise, when I turn say 2/3 of the way or better to the right I will get the noise and some drag. Is it possible something in the diff is out of line when I'm in a tight turn? Is it going to all pile up one day if I keep driving? Don't notice anything when I'm driving on streets just once in a while if I'm turning sharp say in a parking lot. Any experience with this out there? Its my 2000 C5.

Thanks in advance Bruce

Ok here goes in trying to explain this........ Sounds to me like a light grinding noise possibly from the differential when its not under load and I'm in a tight turn. eg. When I'm rolling backwards out of my driveway I can have the clutch peddle down or it in neutral.....if I'm rolling straight back no noise, when I turn say 2/3 of the way or better to the right I will get the noise and some drag. Is it possible something in the diff is out of line when I'm in a tight turn? Is it going to all pile up one day if I keep driving? Don't notice anything when I'm driving on streets just once in a while if I'm turning sharp say in a parking lot. Any experience with this out there? Its my 2000 C5.

Thanks in advance Bruce

Bruce , it is always hard to tell when I can't hear or see it , but I will give you my thoughts .

I don't think its the rear diff , it should not matter which way you are turing as the diff is stationary.

I do think that it is a ball joint going or possibly bushings . It is after all a 2000 and the bushings are getting dryed out .

I have been replacing alot of bushings this past year on C5's due to the same type of noise you are experiencing .

Sounds like diff chatter. I would flush the diff with Dexron LS fluid and see if it gets better. If the noise is still there and its been confirmed that its the diff you may need new diff clutches, I've seen quite a few broken wave washers for the clutch packs.

is it a creaking sound?

No its more of a light grinding noise similar to that of a mudflap rubbing on a wheel. Not an intense grinding tho and only when I'm in a 2/3 to full turn. Think I know what the bushing noises are mine creak a bit at low speeds especially when slowly rolling over speeds bumps. I can produce the grinding noise coasting out of my driveway and then turning sharp as it slowly rolls backwards. Moving a few feet it will make the noise if I straighten the wheels it will stop. Sounds like the noise is coming from the right rear area.

Guys , I could be wrong , but I don't think its the diff .

He is only hearing it when the wheels are turned 2/3 and only in reverse .

Its really hard to pin point from my keyboard :rofl:

It's one of those things I would need to hear and see .

You need to get it on a lift and inspect the rear area of the car .