Jan 1, 2014
Calgary AB
VetteCoins
Car
77 Corvette L82
Province
AB
Hey guys. Just thought I'd do a quick post on some new headers I got. For a long time I had been looking for some headers for my AFR heads which have angled plugs. The angled plugs cause lots of issues when trying to find a set of headers for our cars. Some short headers work with angled plugs but as far as performance goes they are not ideal. Some midlength headers fit our cars but not if they have angled spark plugs. Lastly long tube headers will fit our cars and with angled spark plugs but as I have experienced but the ones that work with angled plugs are all really long and cause major ground clearance issues. I stumbled upon a forum where one guy had used some Flowtech (31106FLT) with amazing results. I decided to order a pair and hope for the best.

First the mounting flanges are thick and flat the whole way across which creates a very nice seal. Can be used with angled or straight plugs. The design helps maximize the room around the pipes so you don't burn your wires and installaion is a breeze. The pipes are also very smoothly bent. The ceramic coating on them is pretty poor and you can't order them in a natural finish. I decided to coat the inside and some missed spots on the outside with Eastwood internal coating to keep exhaust temps even cooler and maximize their life by preventing rust from the inside out. Best part is, they are long tube headers but the lowest point is level or slightly higher than my oil pan bolt. You can see the amost 3" difference from my old headers.

Just thought I'd spread the word to anybody who is having or might have the same problems I did. Sorry for the long post but I figured this rather shamed brand deserved some recognition for one amazing design.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    541.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    570 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    736.9 KB · Views: 44
Super clean man!
Those headers look good.
I'd be curious as to the ground clearance once you get the car back on the ground.
I've had the same pair of Cyclone headers on that I installed in 1983....! Approx 120K miles!
They have been out a few times for sanding and a new coat of high-heat paint and back in.
They fit the factory L82 and also the angle plug GM heads on my ZZ4 motor that is in there now.
I have 3 3/8" ground clearance at the collectors.
As a reference, my collectors are 30" behind the c/l of the front wheel.
Great job JR.
Graham

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Thanks guys. Just an update. I got my exhaust guy at Minute Muffler Shawnee to finish up the exhaust. I think he did a great job clearancing everything. The sound of the exhaust has changed so much with the new headers, resonators, and I believe tips as well. The drone is gone at least everywhere except 1600rpm but for a 12" resonator I'm not complaining. It's much lower and the cam lump is even more pronounced. I can't even describe the sound and my joy. I'll post a link to a video in a couple days of the sound.

One thing about the headers and the eastwood internal coating. Before with the old headers that were ceramic coated (I broke the motor in with ruining the coating) I was running engine temps of 212F at idle and using a professional temp gun, my headers were 269F. Now with the new headers with the eastwood internal coating my engine idle temp is 203F and my headers are 199+/-! That's a 70F drop in header temps! Couldn't be happier!

Attachments

• IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 39
Thanks guys!
JR. the system looks great.

No tire bucket?

Graham

I have the tire bucket and original spare wheel with factory air in it still! I took it off to repair it. Fiberglassed a hole and painted it a grey/blue like a new fiberglass look. Sandblasted and got the metal powdercoated and never put it back on. I was going to but when my motor went I had to install that fuel pump and filter. It would need some modifications to fit but I'm not sure if I want to reinstall it for weight savings and it obstructs the view of my rear end! Haha!

Should I reinstall it?

Attachments

• IMG_3660.JPG
    IMG_3660.JPG
    721.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3662.JPG
    IMG_3662.JPG
    717.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3408.JPG
    IMG_3408.JPG
    803.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3357.JPG
    IMG_3357.JPG
    608.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    736.7 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: nascar03
I expect nothing less from you now..
A fully detailed part that you don't even have on the car!
LOL
I have some friends here that do not use their tire bucket and brought the tailpipes straight out the back, in the centre.
But without the tire bucket where do you carry that extra case of 'liquids'..?

Graham

Reactions: Jr. Corvette
Everything is so neat and tidy under the car. Well thought out.:thumbs:

Now the question is how do you keep it shiny?:Biggrin:

Many, many hours of polishing. Just finished 2 hours of engine detail. Could have taken more time but there is a show n' shine on Saturday and I still need to wash, buff, and detail the interior. I really shouldn't have added so much chrome under the hood.

Attachments

• IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    654.8 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.