Apr 27, 2018
London ON
VetteCoins
Car
99 Navy Metallic
Province
ON
I'll preface by saying...just let me know when you get tired of the new guy with all the questions!

Day 2 with my new (to me) '99 and the marriage between notoriously low C5 front-end and driveway with an incline has me searching for solutions.

Curious to hear thoughts or experiences with either of these products.

20180504_233647.jpg

That’s a new one for me. Be great for those hard brake fronts wheels stands like they do on the bikes I suppose. The thought of those things scraping doesn’t do it for me.

I find taking driveway curbs and speed bumps at an angle is all that’s required. Worked with the C6 and C7s for me. Lots of guys put the rubber wedges against their driveways to help with that too. Never had a C5 so maybe this is a thing with them.

They do look aerodynamic though. :Biggrin: And I suppose anything that prevents damaging the car is a good thing man.

These are kind of like Paul’s door handles. Which look absolutely fantastic by the way.... just not for me. :thumbs:

Should be a good thread. Get ready for the comedy. And by the way your question is a good one.

I haven't had problems that taking things on an angle didn't cure. But that's only six thousand miles of experience so far. The previous owner could have used one of those products by the look of my front end underneath. Obviously something has to be done here for your driveway. I would try the wheels a opposed to a skid pad. And I'll keep them in mind in just in case. Where did you find them?

Reactions: JETZ and ddgermann
When I visit the brother on law I have to back down the driveway. The first time I went in front end first and scraped. Backing in solved that. Same with my garage. I back in as the front end spoiler would catch the garage entrance.

Reactions: ddgermann
When I visit the brother on law I have to back down the driveway. The first time I went in front end first and scraped. Backing in solved that. Same with my garage. I back in as the front end spoiler would catch the garage entrance.

FightingIrish, as with Le Baron, when I go my father in laws I have to back in and it solved my scraping issue.... its worth a try. Hearing that scraping sound is awful. Hopefully its just the underside for you and no visible damage.... Hey ddgermann, I never posted pics of my final altered and painted handles... LOL... they looked even (no kidding) better. Having said that, after 2 mos I took them off. They worked great but I'm now used to the vette 'button'

Last edited:
We're still juggling different combinations of what gets parked where now that we're 3 vehicles. Unfortunately the most practical spot for the Vette doesn't all much of an angled departure.

I'm leaning towards the "fangs" because they don't require drilling, where the wheels have to be through bolted through the radiator support.

@Bixter44 ...both were available online at Corvette Depot.

Reactions: ddgermann
My '99 does the same thing every time in and mostly out of my driveway. Angling it in and out helps a lot but still ......
I have the original VCR tape you got (remember those?) with a new Vette from GM Corvette that specifically describes the design of the of the lower air dam and to expect this to happen often. It is hinged and although it makes and an awful noise, doesn't really get beat up too much. I've seen mine on a hoist under the car and I expected it to be pretty much shredded but in fact it's just fine.

Reactions: Elf and ddgermann
The fangs and wheels will both work To some extent. It does not protect the overhang in front of that area. I have scrapes on the underside of the front area from a few close encounters with curbs.
Good luck with whatever you try.

I think if I had to install, it would be the non drill skidders as well. The castor wheels just don't look like they are speed rated to me.... :rolleyes:

62,000km since owning my car. Sounds gross but I don't worry about it. It's the plastic air dam 99.9% of the time. I've only hit my rad supports once coming out of an underground parking garage that had a chunk of concrete sticking up in the middle of the driving area and was in a rush as the door is timed and was following a friend out. Yuck. That was disgusting and hope to never do that one again.
Anyway, if its a plastic scraping sound, good to go, if it's a thud like metal hitting the surface or a metal scraping noise, I'd buy the sliders.

Not meaning to hijack post but kind of related.Was there a front camera option available? Still getting used to the length of the nose and tapped a curb yesterday. Little scrape on the plastic spoiler. Experience will cure that.

Not meaning to hijack post but kind of related.Was there a front camera option available? Still getting used to the length of the nose and tapped a curb yesterday. Little scrape on the plastic spoiler. Experience will cure that.

It's a tough nose to get use to Dan. Just when you think you've got the length figured, you either tap the curb or notice that you ar 4 feet away from it. Starting in 2016, the front camera came stock but from what I hear, it's a nightmare to integrate it into the existing infotainment screen. Some have been installing aftermarked cameras with a sun visor screen, others the curb alarm system (Curb Alert is one brand Curb Alert Parking Sensor for Corvette C7 5000-CA14) which is quite easy to intall but just supplies you with a loud beeping if you get too close to the curb. It can be preset for warning distance and height. I have yet to install anything on mine and will probably regret that one day.... lmao....

It's a tough nose to get use to Dan. Just when you think you've got the length figured, you either tap the curb or notice that you ar 4 feet away from it. Starting in 2016, the front camera came stock but from what I hear, it's a nightmare to integrate it into the existing infotainment screen. Some have been installing aftermarked cameras with a sun visor screen, others the curb alarm system (Curb Alert is one brand Curb Alert Parking Sensor for Corvette C7 5000-CA14) which is quite easy to intall but just supplies you with a loud beeping if you get too close to the curb. It can be preset for warning distance and height. I have yet to install anything on mine and will probably regret that one day.... lmao....

My cameras have saved me plenty of times with the 17. The 13 and 15 I ended up parked 3 feet from the curb or occasionally 3 inches when I remembered at the last moment. Yikes.
Getting out of the H1 and into the Corvette is a bit of a shock and each provides me with a totally different set of priorities. The only thing universal between them is my grin.

Definitely get something up there Dan. As Eric pointed out there are plenty of good options.

Hijack over... :Biggrin:

I have made the Corvette Rookie error and pulled straight into a parking spot and straight into "oh #$&#" mode. Ever since I have only backed into to a parking spot with a curb. I would go with the skids, I have heard they work well. Would be afraid of ripping those wheels right off the supports.

Almost happened to me right after I had purchased the car. Pulled in to a slot and got out to check how I had done. Had about an inch of space left. To close for comfort. If in doubt I will stop. shift to reverse and then back in to drive which activates the front cameras. Safest is to back in.
Plus always remember to clear the neighbors side doors and preferable double space the parking. More than one time I have parked with no one around me within several spaces only to come back and find a car on either side of me. Guess the Corvette attracts the s**t flies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread