Aug 5, 2011
Cambridge ON
VetteCoins
Car
2006 vert, 1994 vert
Anyone hear anything about this?
Got it from the American site:

Default Navigation System Update Discs

In an effort to improve our customers' level of satisfaction with their factory installed DVD Navigation Systems, General Motors is pleased to announce an industry first, a new Navigation Disc Update Program. The new GM Navigation Disc Center will become the source for all update and service discs and the GM Center of Expertise for navigation systems. Effective March 15th 2006, SPO will be exiting the navigation disc business. Details follow:

o All 2006 model year and later customers who purchase or lease a GM vehicle (except Saab) with a factory installed navigation system are eligible to receive two free annual updates.
o This represents at least $400 of value to the customer.
o Updates will be provided on 1st and 2nd anniversary of the delivery date.
o The customer will be contacted via post-card to verify their mailing address. If the customer's address changed and they did not receive a post-card, they can contact the Navigation Disc Center at the toll-free number below to obtain their update(s).

Hmm never heard of this one before....But I have the 2010 software for my 07, about a year back an owner of a 2010 C6 copied his original dvd`s and posted them for anyone to download. I down loaded it and then burned it on disk.Works great

Last edited:
Hmm never heard of this one before....But I have the 2010 software for my 07, about a year back an owner of a 2010 C6 copied his original dvd`s and posted them for anyone to download. I down loaded it and then burned it on disk.Works great

Would you be willing to send little old XLR8R a ccouple copies of that? Would owe you a solid if you could.
[mob][/mob]

hahaha, yeah right, but seriously is anyone has any info on this free update please post up. Some of us actually like the OEM navigation system and know how to use it in an up-to-date and useful manner.

C.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a newer single dvd map disk laying around they might like to part with? My '09 came with 2008 maps. A good portion of my town isn't even on there. Maybe last years disk if you are upgrading to the one that just came out? Want to stay away from the couple years they had 2 disks lol. Thanks. Was thinking of getting the new one here...but worried it may or may not work lol.... 2016 GM Navigation DVD America and Canada v 10.0 NO.23286274 | Car Navigation DVD Maps

I agree Tim. Updates are a ripoff... I have a Garmin as well as the Vette nav. My first Garmin they wanted 90.00 for an update. I argued that I could buy a new Garmin with lifetime free updates for that much..... Got the age old excuse... it was out of their control.... To be honest, the C7 nav leaves a bit to be desired anyway. They sure aren't up there with the Garmin system. I have no plans to pay the nasty monthly fee for the on-star subscription so will likely have an outdated on board nav in a short time.... can't justify paying for 6 months of garage time every year....

Oh yeah.... A good portion of Ponoka isn't on any map.... :rofl::rofl:

Reactions: Tinman
Well Android Auto is coming out as a standalone app in the near future which could be the answer to a lot of needless fees for endless updates. Should be great as it has waze built in, probably the best traffic app there is.

I don't remember the name of the app on my Blackberry but it works just find and stays updated. I refuse to pay GM any money for something I can have for free. My Blackberry app even gives voice directions while I am driving like the car's nav system. Do you think any of these big corporations will clue in to what is out there free-of-charge?

I don't remember the name of the app on my Blackberry but it works just find and stays updated. I refuse to pay GM any money for something I can have for free. My Blackberry app even gives voice directions while I am driving like the car's nav system. Do you think any of these big corporations will clue in to what is out there free-of-charge?
Hey 12cents. I have Google maps on my Z10 BB and it works great. Guessing might be the same... voice directions as well....

I do find it somewhat bizarre at how map updates are treated among different manufacturers. Some offer free lifetime updates (i.e. dvd, usb sticks where applicable or over the air) - presumably the map data acquisition costs have been worked into the price whilst others (ermm GM) obviously did not have much foresight with their vendors and left updates to the discretion of the provider which always ends up costing us a bit of change every year or two.

I would definitely recommend waze (the other google maps), google maps or your native map app on your phone whatever that may be. Superior maps, voice prompts and in some cases real time traffic updates and re-routing. The downside is you have to look like an Uber driver without the bottles of rose scented Costco water and stick that phone somewhere visible. The way things are developing now with Google Auto, Apple Carplay and Blackberry QNIX or whatever it's called, built in proprietary navigation apps are becoming a thing of the past.

Thanks all, I do use 3rd party stuff alot. My point is the car is new to me, nav integrates with HUD, I want to retain factory headunit for now. Also find alot of spots on drives with zero cell reception. Just want to upgrade what I have for now to the best that it can do knowing an app can bail me out if needed lol! I VOW TO LEARN THIS ARCHAIC NAV UNIT if it takes me months hahaha. Heck, I might even inquire about sirius/xm to play through the mediocre bose speakers haha. So back on topic...sorry lol....anyone have a disk? or should I try carsnavigation.com ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.