This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Free DCT filter Service

I read on another forum that the free DCT filter and oil change has been extended to 36 months on the 2024’s . Anyone else heard this?
Perhaps ask your dealer for the revised "GM Home Office Letter". The most recent one I know of is 2022-601r02. It may be 2023-601 or 2022-601r0(3,4 or 5)

Please let us know if there is a new copy and if you get a hold of it.

Reactions: Billclerm
Just had my '23 C8 serviced @ Brian Cullen and spoke at length to the Service Manager regarding the free DCT filter change. He was extremely helpful and informative and confirmed the DCT filter change no longer has to be done at the same time as the 1st or 2nd free/complimentary oil change within 2 years, and in fact free coverage of the DCT filter change has been extended to 36 months/12,000 km. From what I understood, the 2 oil changes still had to fall within the first 2 years of ownership, so I don't know that the 2nd complimentary oil change coverage is also extended to 3 years, that is not how I understood it but I can't confirm either way. He also pointed out that as most are aware, if the free DCT filter change occurs before that 12,000 km mileage mark, it is required to be changed again once 12,000 km is reached. Apparently this is the latest and most recent change to GM's policy on the free DCT change.

Thank you for the update

Interesting if the DCT service is extended to 3 years even for 2023 and perhaps older.
Here is a scenario: At three years it is required to change the DCT fluid completely. However, the DCT canister service requires the techs to run a fluid cycle procedure which cycles all (or most) of the fluid through the old filter before it gets changed. Will they still do that? Should they do that? Should they change the fluid, THEN run the procedure THEN change the canister filter? LOL I know...it's a first world "problem"

36 months / 12,000kms sounds like it's intended for "gararge queens", as that mileage is pretty low, spread over 3 years.
I've put 12,000kms on my 2024 in just 6 months.
And speaking of that, just had the 1st service done last week, and the oil/filter, and DCT filter change/fluid top up were both no charge (aka cost buried in purchase price of car). AFAIK, and according to the dealership that did it, the 2nd complimentary oil change must be done before 2 years from date of delivery, or 24,000kms, which ever comes first, and the 2nd DCT canister filter change will cost me around C$800 according to the same service advisor, unless prices rise, which they will.
For the DIYers out there, Josh Holder, Chief Corvette Engineer, has been quoted as saying that the transmission fluid recirculation step that may be done when the DCT filter is changed, can be skipped, if the car is driven at freeway speeds for a while prior to swapping the filter. Driving the car does the same thing, pushes as much debris as possible into the filter, as their artificial transmission fluid circulation procedure. Since I drove 60 miles on the freeway to get mine done, the dealership service technician skipped the lengthy fluid circulation step, and just changed the filter. When I booked the service, the total time estimate was 4-5 hours in the shop. As a result of their tech knowing this allowable short cut, I had the car back in 1.5 hours, including the DRL Recall check verification (as expected, my car's lighting system was functioning normally). FYI.
Finally, GM has apparently reinstated the OTA software updates (sort of). I had one last week that was a 1 of 3, and it has to do with prepping newer cars, MY2024, for OTA updates (if that makes any sense?) - it installed successfully in under 10 minutes in my driveway. Others, on other forums, have had similar results on ther MY2024 cars. Check your MyChevrolet app for further info.
Drive to thrive.....
(p.s. the price of WTI oil has dropped quite a bit below it's prior US$80/bbl benchmark, and Brent crude prices are just below that same threshold for the 1st time since February. Both bode well for reduced gasoline prices as our summer driving season begins)

Last edited:
“For the DIYers out there, Josh Holder, Chief Corvette Engineer, has been quoted as saying that the transmission fluid recirculation step that may be done when the DCT filter is changed, can be skipped”
A lot of people look at me sideways when I tell them this. If you don’t mind, I’m going to support your statement here with a link to Josh’s own words. Hopefully this will put a lot of DIY people at ease. The Corvette Today Podcast #212 entitled “The Return of Tadge, Harland and Josh” have provided some interesting information on this topic. The podcast was recorded at the recent NCM Bash and had the engineers answering questions submitted in advance. You can find the question regarding the DCT canister at the 23:45 mark of the attached link of the podcast. Here are some interesting quotes from Josh Holder regarding such…

“If you don’t want anyone touching your car, you can change the trans filter without running this routine”.

“Do it yourselfers have become nervous that… hey, now I can’t do it myself, I don’t have a service tool, I can’t force this routine! You don’t have to do the routine. We do it, because we can”.

CORVETTE TODAY #212 - The Return of Tadge, Harlan and Josh! (https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corvette-today/corvette-today-212-the-return?eid=IGad0sNIyEi3vZqC)

I will gratefully accept any and all assistance, particularly when supported by a snippet of fact based research. Thank you, sir.
That was the GM Engineer's quoted answer that has suggested that the DIYers can do their own DCT canister filter changes, but that some of the dealership sevice techs may use some discretion when performing this scheduled service item, saving themselves and some of their customers, time and money, although until I actually have to pay for the next one, I won't know whether or not they'll go by the shop manual hours, or something closer to the actual elapsed time to do just the filter change. Only if the car has been exercised at freeway speeds for a while just prior. I asked the service advisor about it, and he said that's why my car was ready after 1.5 hours, instead of the estimated 4-5 hours. He was a little surprised I knew about this NCM Bash Chief Corvette Engineer anecdote.
T'was ever thus.....

"T'was ever thus" ? I sold my Coles Note's to a random grade 9 kid in 1974. I owe an apology to my English Teacher for the rant I spewed at him about never requiring this knowledge in the future. He died in 1992. Good guy but still have no idea why I have to decipher this shi t....

Twas Ever Thus is a 1915 American drama silent filmdirected by Hobart Bosworth, written by Elsie Janis, and starring Elsie Janis, Hobart Bosworth, Owen Moore, Myrtle Stedman, Harry Ham, and Helen Wolcott. It was released on September 23, 1915, by Paramount Pictures .Surely you remember this…..

Reactions: Murray20c8
So when hooking up the service tool for a DCT hydraulic system flush, this takes 2 plus hours to perform? I would swear I read it was more or less a 20 minute procedure. Anyone able to confirm. No point in asking at my local service depot.

So when hooking up the service tool for a DCT hydraulic system flush, this takes 2 plus hours to perform? I would swear I read it was more or less a 20 minute procedure. Anyone able to confirm. No point in asking at my local service depot.
Unless you have that service tool, the time is moot. The "book" is there to protect "us" from a slow mechanic! Ya, right! Anyway that is what you will pay. I should check my PDR ... actually I will. I'll let you know just how long it took. Dollars to donuts it was really fast since I have the "essential service" deal.
GM knows how long it really takes and how much the dealer will charge them for the service. You can bet there will be a huge discrepancy between the "book" time and the "actual" time.