NO DIFFERENT THAN TRYING TO COLOR
COORDINATE THE CORVETTES AT THE
PONOKA/GULL LAKE PHOTO SHOOT
EVERY YEAR ...

I7Y1QwF.jpg

Yeah, very smart and stubborn lol. He started his schutzhund training before this whole corona thing happened so now I’m stuck training him myself 😂

That’s awesome! You got any tips for me? He’s more toy motivated not so much with food. also his recall isn’t that great yet. I guess his age has a lot to do with it too.

That’s awesome! You got any tips for me? He’s more toy motivated not so much with food. also his recall isn’t that great yet. I guess his age has a lot to do with it too.

He's at a great age for his training. Recall is a tough one but they learn. Always treat and praise them when they come back and after a while you won't need the treat. Try working his food treats an hour before feeding time when he's hungry. I don't free feed and they get 2 meals a day. 7:30 am and 5:30 pm
Bravo loves to play but he loves to work just as much. He knows whether it's play time or work time....mostly...lol... He is much sharper in all areas when he knows he's working. Not to say he isn't good otherwise, but he's much crisper on commands at work. His rewards when he's in the house are treats but if he's focused on playing outside with his tug or his ball, he doesn't even taste the treats. He just wants the toy. I use a different tug as his reward as well when he is working but don't let him have it until we finish an exercise (and he does it properly). They need to know the difference between work and play. We will go through an exercise with the tug in my hand. When he completes what I want him to do, i just toss the tug away and give him a minute or two to have it.Then I tell him to brrring.. (yes, I roll the r's..lol), take the tug away and put him into another exercise. I always hold the tug in my off hand and he knows it's there and he knows if he's sharp I will toss it for him. I have to work him away from my other dog as Quinn is smart as a whip but thinks she has to get in on everything I'm doing with Bravo. Even though she is only half his size, she's by far the boss...lol... Doesn't that ring a bell... hehe...If you get yourself a bite sleeve, buy a good police dog one.I have an intermediate and Bravo has such powerful jaws, sometimes I feel it more than I want to... lol... A new one is on my want list... Whatever you end up rewarding him with, be quick with the reward as soon as they do the exercise right. Have the reward in your hand as a delay in the reward defeats them knowing it was for doing something good. Same with punishment if you use a training collar. The correction and the collar shock/vibrate/beep or whatever have to be at as close to the exact same time. The only time Bravo gets a little jolt anymore is when he chases the cats... That prey drive is hard to talk him out of. Oh yeah. Bravo is trained in German. Play is in English but work commands are mostly in German. I am not any kind of professional at this so above all, pay much less attention to what I said and listen to your trainer. I made a lot of mistakes and pretty sure I still do.

Here's a few short vids of Bravo working with his trainer a few years ago. He is five years old now.

He's at a great age for his training. Recall is a tough one but they learn. Always treat and praise them when they come back and after a while you won't need the treat. Try working his food treats an hour before feeding time when he's hungry. I don't free feed and they get 2 meals a day. 7:30 am and 5:30 pm
Bravo loves to play but he loves to work just as much. He knows whether it's play time or work time....mostly...lol... He is much sharper in all areas when he knows he's working. Not to say he isn't good otherwise, but he's much crisper on commands at work. His rewards when he's in the house are treats but if he's focused on playing outside with his tug or his ball, he doesn't even taste the treats. He just wants the toy. I use a different tug as his reward as well when he is working but don't let him have it until we finish an exercise (and he does it properly). They need to know the difference between work and play. We will go through an exercise with the tug in my hand. When he completes what I want him to do, i just toss the tug away and give him a minute or two to have it.Then I tell him to brrring.. (yes, I roll the r's..lol), take the tug away and put him into another exercise. I always hold the tug in my off hand and he knows it's there and he knows if he's sharp I will toss it for him. I have to work him away from my other dog as Quinn is smart as a whip but thinks she has to get in on everything I'm doing with Bravo. Even though she is only half his size, she's by far the boss...lol... Doesn't that ring a bell... hehe...If you get yourself a bite sleeve, buy a good police dog one.I have an intermediate and Bravo has such powerful jaws, sometimes I feel it more than I want to... lol... A new one is on my want list... Whatever you end up rewarding him with, be quick with the reward as soon as they do the exercise right. Have the reward in your hand as a delay in the reward defeats them knowing it was for doing something good. Same with punishment if you use a training collar. The correction and the collar shock/vibrate/beep or whatever have to be at as close to the exact same time. The only time Bravo gets a little jolt anymore is when he chases the cats... That prey drive is hard to talk him out of. Oh yeah. Bravo is trained in German. Play is in English but work commands are mostly in German. I am not any kind of professional at this so above all, pay much less attention to what I said and listen to your trainer. I made a lot of mistakes and pretty sure I still do.

Here's a few short vids of Bravo working with his trainer a few years ago. He is five years old now.

Beautiful Dog! And thanks for all the tips! I’ve heard about the bite mitt also. I’ll make sure to get something that’s gonna be thick enough because this dog bites hard and never let’s go 🙈.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.