Jan 25, 2009
Saskatoon
VetteCoins
Car
73 Corvette Coupe
Well the car finally moved from hibernation. Started it, let it idle a bit, drive nicely down the road a mile, drove back to the yard, and changed the oil. Went to start it again and all I get is that same grinding noise I had last year. Guess it's time to pull the starter and take a look. But the important thing is it made it out before Riley's corvette oh and it still runs!

T

Bud you have Riley beat by about a month or so........

Well the car finally moved from hibernation. Started it, let it idle a bit, drive nicely down the road a mile, drove back to the yard, and changed the oil. Went to start it again and all I get is that same grinding noise I had last year. Guess it's time to pull the starter and take a look. But the important thing is it made it out before Riley's corvette oh and it still runs!

T

T

Good for you!! well, replacing parts like that is part of owning C3s . I have replaced the starter once and the solenoid twice in 6 years. Looking forward to see your Sting Ray soon.

I figure Taylor has a month to change his starter and make it out to a meeting in his Vette before I make it out in mine. So, although the vette was out, it was not out at a meeting yet.:D

Well if you want Riley I can warm your car up for you maybe rip down the gravel road to get er ready to go. Heck I can even run it to the city for you an go to a meeting! Does it count if it isn't my corvette?

T

But what about the mice? If you bring the Vette, then the mice would have nowhere to stay because you would have taken their house away.

Bringing out the Vette is a twofold problem. One, I'm trying to be responsible and manage my money. Plates are not in the budget right now. Why do I hold on to the Vette then? Because I should have an engineering job soon and will at that point have the funds for the car (it's not costing me anything just sitting there). Second problem is storage, The place I am at is on the boarder of the "not nice" area of town. Not a place to keep a Vette on the the street. Once again, waiting for an engineering job so I can move, plate the car, and Weeeeeee. Don't feel too bad. I still have my Chevelle to play with until I can solve problems one and two!

Ya I just like to bug you!

So I pulled the starter. Wiped it off (still looks basically brand new). Hooked it to a battery just to see. Spins and pinion moved out all the way. Good. Pulled the solinoid off just to see. Holds the pin when power supplied. Good. Test fit it without the solinoid so I could maunally enguage the pinion. Definetly meshes the ring gear. BUT then off in the distance we bumped teh starter and it moved, now the pinion is barely enguaged! As far as I can tell the mount holes are sloppy enough that you can make it fully enguage or barley enguage just by how/where you torque up the bolts. So I figure somewhere along the lines the starter shifted just a tiny little bit and that is what the grinding noise was. The pinion probably was only enguaging on every third or fourth tooth depending on how it was jumping. This is why the crank was still turning but not fast enough to start. Anyway. Got the starter back in and set..Fired it up. Nice and quiet like it should be. Shut it off. Talk for a bit. Fire it up again. Still quiet. Good. Put flywheel cover back on. put heat sheild wrap back on. Try it again. Nice and smooth. So YAY! I think it is fixed. I went for a 9:30PM 1 mile cruise just to feel good. My only question is why would they make the starter with enough slop in the starter to have it disenguage?

T

Ya I just like to bug you!

So I pulled the starter. Wiped it off (still looks basically brand new). Hooked it to a battery just to see. Spins and pinion moved out all the way. Good. Pulled the solinoid off just to see. Holds the pin when power supplied. Good. Test fit it without the solinoid so I could maunally enguage the pinion. Definetly meshes the ring gear. BUT then off in the distance we bumped teh starter and it moved, now the pinion is barely enguaged! As far as I can tell the mount holes are sloppy enough that you can make it fully enguage or barley enguage just by how/where you torque up the bolts. So I figure somewhere along the lines the starter shifted just a tiny little bit and that is what the grinding noise was. The pinion probably was only enguaging on every third or fourth tooth depending on how it was jumping. This is why the crank was still turning but not fast enough to start. Anyway. Got the starter back in and set..Fired it up. Nice and quiet like it should be. Shut it off. Talk for a bit. Fire it up again. Still quiet. Good. Put flywheel cover back on. put heat sheild wrap back on. Try it again. Nice and smooth. So YAY! I think it is fixed. I went for a 9:30PM 1 mile cruise just to feel good. My only question is why would they make the starter with enough slop in the starter to have it disenguage?

T

Yikes, I dont have answer to your question, but that means you will bring it out tonight?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.