May 6, 2022
VetteCoins
Province
BC
Hello again forum members, this day is finally coming. After 2+ yrs being on multiple waitlists, I'm getting my C8 in a couple of weeks. The vehicle is built with a VIN available and is on the way to an Edmonton dealer. I'm trying to figure out few things and hopefully to get some advice from fellow owners.

1. The dealership is offering a Vehicle Maintenance Contract and a Vehicle Service Contract that seem to be quoted from GM. Priced at CBGC Maintenance Plan (Enhanced Care), 84mo/60k km at $2,225 and CBGC New Plan (Total Plus), 84mo/60k km at $3,916.

I'm curious what these plans are for and whether they are worth getting. I'm based in BC but according to the dealer, these can be performed and transferred to all GM dealerships in North America. Would it be more cost-efficient if I go to a local dealership for service and maintenance without getting these plans?

2. I'm pretty certain I'd get PPF for the front of C8. Any recommendations for reputable shops in the Edmonton area? I've heard of Onwer's Pride in St Albert from fellow member.

3. I'm currently looking at driving back from Edmonton to BC, taking the Yellowhead highway. Thing is I got Z51 package on my car with summer tires. Would this be an issue with current road conditions? If this is problematic I may need to get a flat bed and truck my C8 back..... $$$

Thanks for all the input!

Hello again forum members, this day is finally coming. After 2+ yrs being on multiple waitlists, I'm getting my C8 in a couple of weeks. The vehicle is built with a VIN available and is on the way to an Edmonton dealer. I'm trying to figure out few things and hopefully to get some advice from fellow owners.

1. The dealership is offering a Vehicle Maintenance Contract and a Vehicle Service Contract that seem to be quoted from GM. Priced at CBGC Maintenance Plan (Enhanced Care), 84mo/60k km at $2,225 and CBGC New Plan (Total Plus), 84mo/60k km at $3,916.
The one from GM is called GMPP. It is up to the dealer to charge what they want. I paid $3100.00 for 84 months. It's insurance so it's up to you. Some would rather gamble and not pay it. Others think it gives us (me) peace of mind.

3. I'm currently looking at driving back from Edmonton to BC, taking the Yellowhead highway. Thing is I got Z51 package on my car with summer tires. Would this be an issue with current road conditions? If this is problematic I may need to get a flat bed and truck my C8 back..... $$$
I wouldn't take the chance on summer tires mid winter. Depending on how you will use your car, you might want to pay for winter tires and rims

The one from GM is called GMPP. It is up to the dealer to charge what they want. I paid $3100.00 for 84 months. It's insurance so it's up to you. Some would rather gamble and not pay it. Others think it gives us (me) peace of mind.

I wouldn't take the chance on summer tires mid winter. Depending on how you will use your car, you might want to pay for winter tires and rims
Thanks Murray, so do the plans they offer have nothing to do with actual maintenance and service performed? I got a bit confused as I thought these are like prepaid services rather than insurance.

Yes I realized it may have been too early for driving back as I thought the vehicle may be ready somewhat into Spring. I hope it gets warm in the next couple of weeks and maybe I can still take this chance and enjoy a bit of a road trip. I was not going to get winter tires since I did not plan to drive the C8 in winter times, things may look differently with actual ownership with the vehicle

You need to get the explanatory literature, to know exactly what the plan covers. Almost as important: read the "fine print" to understand what the exclusions are so you have a full understanding of how it works and won't be caught by surprise.

I've been offered vehicle "maintenance contracts" which covered mostly oil/filter changes and found the price quoted to basically match the actual cost, plus the contract required the servicing to happen at set miles/dates, so you're just paying up front and you lose control of when things are done. I had no interest in it. As always, figure out what your local dealerships charge for the same service, to compare "apples to apples". Good luck!

Thanks Murray, so do the plans they offer have nothing to do with actual maintenance and service performed? I got a bit confused as I thought these are like prepaid services rather than insurance.

Yes I realized it may have been too early for driving back as I thought the vehicle may be ready somewhat into Spring. I hope it gets warm in the next couple of weeks and maybe I can still take this chance and enjoy a bit of a road trip. I was not going to get winter tires since I did not plan to drive the C8 in winter times, things may look differently with actual ownership with the vehicle
Technically it's a warranty, but you have to think of it as insurance. Can you pay 8K (or whatever they are worth) for a new DCT? You may never have 3000.00 worth of repairs done to your car in the 7 years. (2 after the 5 year powertrain warranty) and 4 after the regular warranty for other things. I've had cars that had way over that in service $'s, but luckily had the extended warranty. So to me, I'll pay $3000 now even if I never need it, like one does with car or house insurance.

Yellowhead Highway B.C. Travellers Forecast - Environment Canada
2-4 cm snow. I would not do it. Plus M+S tires are required on BC Highways. In and accident and you may be found at fault if winter tires would have reduced the damage (and we know ICBC likes to find fault.)

For maintenance contract I don't do it but you may get better service if you buy the contract where you intend to service so at least you have some leverage. Check the details of what the maintenance covers. I doubt they will do DCT fluid or DCT filter but engine oil and filter are about $200 so if you get 7 you are close to break even and if you get 14 you are way ahead of the $2225

PPF typically takes a few days and may be difficult to arrange and inspect. How long do you plan to be in Edmonton? I can recommend one in Vancouver.

Last edited:
A friend of mine who lives in Edmonton took delivery of his C8 in Calgary. He drove it back to Edmonton with 1.5" wide blue painters tape instead of having PPF installed in Calgary. It took less than an hour to put the tape on and the car made and it back to Edmonton without any paint damage. He did get PPF installed in Edmonton shortly thereafter.

A temporary tape job may be something to consider if you don't want to wait to have PPF installed in Edmonton.

Attachments

• PXL_20210522_172336780.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210522_172336780.MP.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
There's no way I'd drive a car like that all the way from Edmonton through the mountains and into BC at this time of the year. Poor driving conditions (likely) plus road salt residue and sand debris....yikes! Do it right and hire a company to haul it home for you in an enclosed trailer or just wait until May and drive it back.

I'm new here so I don't know if hotlinking is allowed. Google "TFX International". I've never used their delivery services before but have heard good things about them.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
I'm new here so I don't know if hotlinking is allowed. Google "TFX International". I've never used their delivery services before but have heard good things about them.
Welcome Chris. We are more lenient here. Even other forum links if it helps our community. Good luck with your purchase. Let's hope it's a speedy delivery.

Reactions: Sturmgewehr
There's no way I'd drive a car like that all the way from Edmonton through the mountains and into BC at this time of the year. Poor driving conditions (likely) plus road salt residue and sand debris....yikes! Do it right and hire a company to haul it home for you in an enclosed trailer or just wait until May and drive it back.

Welcome to the Forums and especially welcome with posts providing helpful info. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Sturmgewehr
A friend of mine who lives in Edmonton took delivery of his C8 in Calgary. He drove it back to Edmonton with 1.5" wide blue painters tape instead of having PPF installed in Calgary. It took less than an hour to put the tape on and the car made and it back to Edmonton without any paint damage. He did get PPF installed in Edmonton shortly thereafter.

A temporary tape job may be something to consider if you don't want to wait to have PPF installed in Edmonton.
Awesome tape job. I'm sure it worked just fine. Nice looking c8!!

I can vouch for TFX. Back in 2010 I bought my new 09 Z06 from Nicholson Chevrolet (now Sherwood Park) in Edmonton and had them ship the car to me here in Toronto.

In 2019 TFX picked up my 2019 ZR1 from Birchwood in Winnipeg for transport to me here in the 6.

If you want to drive it home to BC, wait till spring and better road conditions, otherwise spend the $$$ and get it shipped. Jesus you just spent $1XX,XXX on a new car what's another grand or two if you don't want to wait and you can make the video of the car arriving in front of your home coming out of the enclosed trailer into your driveway?

Drive that s**t back. Salt is not a concern unless you plan to keep this car for 20 years and never plan to wash the underside.

Some people dont even bother to PPF their (nice cars) at all. Dont be worried about a road trip back to vancouver unless you're a dumbass and like to drive 5ft behind big trucks.

The only real concern is snow! This can be very dangerous on summer tires so I suggest you look at weather reports and plan the days carefully.

Most links are allowed except links to other Corvette forums are not permitted.

Thanks to everyone for input. I've realized it's near possible and too risky for me to drive it back with BC snow tires restriction in place still. Currently getting quotes for vehicle transportation solutions and is looking around $1500 at least.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.