I'll have to look for that endless debate on here. I've never driven one. I drove an older one with paddle shifters but I know it wasn't the same. Just a normal automatic with paddles. It was horrible. I like the fact that just anyone can't drive the standard. And it's more fun to me although I know it's not as fast.
We can debate on here again. ;)
There are many differences of course. The DCT on the C8 will not let you lug for example. It will downshift when it has to regardless whether you are in auto or manual mode, but it will let you bounce off the rev limiter! It's sequential so you can't select a gear directly, but you can select neutral by pulling in both paddles. Your left foot will get bored, but now your left hand has something to do. With a DCT it is smart enough to know what you are doing and is (almost) always in the next gear waiting for you to pull the lever to switch clutches. So it's much faster than any human can shift with a stick and pedal.
I will admit one feels a little more in charge with a stick and pedal, but both can be fun.

We can debate on here again. ;)
There are many differences of course. The DCT on the C8 will not let you lug for example. It will downshift when it has to regardless whether you are in auto or manual mode, but it will let you bounce off the rev limiter! It's sequential so you can't select a gear directly, but you can select neutral by pulling in both paddles. Your left foot will get bored, but now your left hand has something to do. With a DCT it is smart enough to know what you are doing and is (almost) always in the next gear waiting for you to pull the lever to switch clutches. So it's much faster than any human can shift with a stick and pedal.
I will admit one feels a little more in charge with a stick and pedal, but both can be fun.
Thanks for the explanation. I know(I think) that Formula 1 uses push button now I believe, but I am having a hard time with this change. Driver experience. I'll probably be kicking the floor a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: Murray20c8
Thanks for the explanation. I know(I think) that Formula 1 uses push button now I believe, but I am having a hard time with this change. Driver experience. I'll probably be kicking the floor a lot.
Hi . F1 cars currently use a single clutch sequential transmission. Gears are selected using two paddles and a hand clutch. It is shift by “ wire “ actually.
For many years F1 cars had a left foot clutch and an actual stick shift but not for a number of years. It would be incredibly difficult to use that method now given that F1 cars can generate 5g’s in turns and even more under breaking.
Understanding F1 Gearboxes: How They Shift Gears at Lightning Speeds - Auto Service World

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
"Transmission

There are two paddles in the F1 car through which the driver changes the gear (which is semi-automatic sequential). The paddles are located on the steering wheel.

The left paddle is for downshifting, and the right one is for upshifting. The transmission happens in seconds because the shifting of the gear to the up and down positions is right next to each other, unlike the true manuals."

Sorry, missed the part about the 2 paddles and a hand clutch in the article...

"Transmission

There are two paddles in the F1 car through which the driver changes the gear (which is semi-automatic sequential). The paddles are located on the steering wheel.

The left paddle is for downshifting, and the right one is for upshifting. The transmission happens in seconds because the shifting of the gear to the up and down positions is right next to each other, unlike the true manuals."

Sorry, missed the part about the 2 paddles and a hand clutch in the article...
As long as you don’t miss the supper bell , lol . ;)

I don't see "two paddles and a hand clutch" in the article. If you could point it out that would be helpful
Transmission

The left paddle is for downshifting, and the right one is for upshifting. The transmission happens in seconds because the shifting of the gear to the up and down positions is right next to each other, unlike the true manuals.

In the manual system, the driver needed to advance the gears in theoretical position (for example, 1stto 3rd to 6th). This is why the F1 car is known to have a sequential system.

Yeah I get that. You stated, "Gears are selected using two paddles and a hand clutch." What I don't see in the article is "hand clutch"...
Be pretty awkward to get your foot up there to shift given that the driver is jammed in there so tight that they can’t even do up their own restraint harness.