I also use Husky 94 when I can get it. I think there are only two stations left in Saskatoon that have it. Shell V-Power always otherwise.

I ran the Husky 94 for the first 2 summers I had my car. I love how it ran using it. Had no issues. Especially those August summer evenings when the temp is around 16-20 degrees. My car runs the best ( I think ) in that temp window. One of my quirks I guess. I don’t care much for hot weather driving. C6 Zs are a sauna and I’m not much for A/C.

The last 2 summers have been Shell 91. I like it but notice a difference. Going to use the Chevron 94 in BC this summer.

Reactions: YFCvii
At the time that the fuel switched over the midgrade & regular blends to E10 ethanol I immediately started noticing major amounts of condensation under the oil cap.

This is particularly a problem during the winter months as it has a tendancy to freeze after the car has shut off, causing damage to components in the cylinder heads. The premium blend from CO-OP did not produce any condensation and the engine oil and coolant ran at about 5degC higher operating temperature.

However, nowadays the only station in some small cities offering a non-ethanol fuel is CO-OP and that just isn`t practical as far as supply goes.

Regarding small engines and ethanol, I had the same results after storage with either using ethanol or non ethanol fuel prior. . . The following season the snowblower would not start. After localizing the issue to gas starvation by removing the plug and adding some fuel into the cylinder prior to starting, a teardown of the carburertor yielded a bowl of blackened gas in addition to a caked up jet. The jet appears to be made of brass (which is 75% copper) and the cake inside the jet appears to be greenish white (copper sulfate). Presumably the oxidation was catalyzed by the fuels, but this I ruled is a design flaw as it concerns the metallurgy of the jet. Note that I also have a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower that never had this problem once in 30+ years with the same gas.

Last edited:
Someone recently asked me `Where does water come from?`

As my mind was preoccupied with astronomy, particularly dead planets at the time, I quickly replied `algae`, based on the fact that it produces oxygen which is a necessary component of water.

However, all combustion produces water as a byproduct which includes both hydrogen fuel cells and combustion engines. So I guess I should revise my answer with algae, then trees, and then man.

I emailed Costco last week and asked them that exact question and the answer was no ethanol in premium fuel.
To be totally critical (which I may be at times...lol) I have seen any number of several fuel suppliers tankers and also independent tankers filling Costco storage tanks. I'm not convinced that at any given time, they have any idea whether their fuel may have ethanol in it or not. Thus the reason I have never gassed up at Costco.

Thanks guys for all the great comments about ethanol. I agree with most of you and am still using all of this year, ethanol-free. Paying up to 4:45 a US gallon in Key West. In the Englewood/Cape Haze area of south-west Florida, the average is about 3.90 a US gallon. 40 cents higher than premium with ethanol. The vette runs beautifully with it and I will continue. The comments about ethanol-free on small engines really hit home. Over the years, I always had trouble with ethanol gas in weed wackers, lawn mowers etc. Once switched and using ethanol-free no problems. Now, for years, I did run all the ethanol gas out of these small tanks and that helped a lot with spring start-ups. In the end it is up to each and everyone of us to use the gas that makes us happy. Can't wait for the drive home in April throught the mountains from Charlotte NC to Pittsburgh, Buffalo and back to Unionville. Of course, using ethanol-free.

Attachments

• IMG_3802.jpg
    IMG_3802.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: OL Yeller
Just completed 9500km Calgary to Fredericton and back to Calgary. Driving in a 6.2l gas powered 2019 Sierra (similar to my C7 power-plant). Considering it a reconnaissance run for a furture Corvette drive. Used (GM recommended) premium all the way except where only regular was available. Found a lot of the trip did not have an ethanol free option. The fuel was being used right away so not much in the tank for sitting an extended period of time. Found there was no ethanol free fuel in/near Fredericton and was told it might be in St. John. Not very happy about that if/when taking the Corvette there … but I figure as long as I do not store it with the fuel, it’s the only option without a alternative. Took notes for where premium gas was not available along the route … going to have to make sure and by-pass those spots 🙂👍🏻
It sure will be nice to do the journey again with only one (maybe two) fuel stops per day rather than 4 stops in 750-900km legs. C7 Corvette mileage is awesome … not as great when towing with the Sierra. 😇👍🏻

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.