Digigo ... please please accept my apology for disrupting your thread.

That said my wife asked what was so funny ... I guess she heard me laughing out loud a few times as I was reading the responses. Personally I think some may have been cooped up a little too long this winter :WillyNilly: but I have enjoyed reading them.

Didn't get my meeting today related to my steering wheel ... the guy's Aunt passed away and we've rescheduled meeting again tentatively for next Monday which may give this thread some time to season. ;)

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Yesterday I met my contact at his garage and he confirmed my steering wheel is an original Teak steering wheel and wanted to know if I was interested in selling it. I said no that I wanted to get it refinished and use it. He said it was worth at least $1,000. He didn't actually say he would give me that for it.

Black 03 Z06 … I’d appreciated what you’re son would say about what I was told on refinishing. My contact said I could refinish it myself. He said to rub it down with steel wool to get all the crud and left over finish off. Then to buy some oak filler and fill all the pores and any seams that needed filling. Then to coat it with varnish and after that if I wanted to top coat it with polyurethane it would be fine.

Other technical info. for the purists:
  • The Teak steering wheel isn’t listed in Chevrolets 1953 – 1971 Corvette Parts Catalog at all.
  • The Teak wheel had been an option from ’63 thru ’66.
  • The steering wheel hub for ’67 & ’68 Corvettes with the telescopic steering column is different from the hubs from ’63 – ‘66
A telltale way of knowing that it wasn’t a ’67 option there is a visible slot on the side of the steering hub (that wheel mounts to), that normally gets filled by the stock ’67 & ’68 steering wheel bottom spoke but that slot is open if you put the Teak wheel on either the ’67 or ’68. (See pic), The slot is lined up with the bottom wheel spoke if the wheel is in its centered position and really not noticeable when it’s mounted.

67 Vette Steering Wheel Hub

Teak wheels (RPO N32) where only available in 65 and 66, not earlier and not later.

As far as refinishing one, we have a teak wheel restoration expert right in out own backyard in Brantford, ON ... call Doug Graves at 519-752-0780. He rebuilds and restores these wheels to easily pass NCRS judging standards. He did my teak wheel and its a piece of jewelry now! Cheers, Bill

Bill, thanks for the information. I bought a teak wheel at a flea market years ago that I put in my 66 BB Chevelle. I believe it was an original GM wheel but the one thing I recall is that it was so comfortable to drive with.

Great to know someone local can restore them. Appreciated.

For cleaning I would use Scot's Liquid gold wood cleaner and finish with teak oil. BUT....the person to ask is Eric himself. He's still around, just retired from making those beautiful wheels. cheers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.