Digigo

Casual User
Feb 12, 2018
Halton Hills Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
C2
Hi there,

Just took delivery of an Eric Freeman Teak Wheel (but honestly, I wouldn't know the difference if someone told me it "wasn't" a Freeman wheel) and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on whether or not it needs anything (linseed oil comes to mind?) or is the answer more along the lines of "Are you crazy? you don't do anything to it!"

Please and thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3004.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 111
Very cool steering wheel. Wood like almost anything else needs maintenance but I would want to ask an expert before using any preservative on it. Teak oil makes sense but who knows.

Nice addition to the car. How is it running by the way?

Reactions: Digigo
Very cool steering wheel. Wood like almost anything else needs maintenance but I would want to ask an expert before using any preservative on it. Teak oil makes sense but who knows.

Nice addition to the car. How is it running by the way?
Thanks... and the car is put away for the next 2 weeks (but I put it away being assured that it was nothing serious - said my mechanic) - Can't wait for Spring!

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I wouldn't put any type of clearcoat finish on it as teak has its own natural oil and will cause coatings to come off (big mess). You can't hurt it with straight teak oil and a rub down once a year would be good. Yes I am an exspert!! (ex=has been...spert=drip under pressure):Ack2:

You have a pretty nice steering wheel indeed. To me, it adds a touch of class. As far as maintenance goes, I agree with Somebuddy's comment on using teak oil. I had a wooden wheel on my mustang and lightly oiled it every 12- 16 mos depending on how much usage it saw - I do not believe it was specifically teak oil, but definitely an oil made to be used on wood. You do not need to use very much of it, start sparingly and take it from there. Nice ride....

Reactions: Digigo
Very interesting about this wheel. It turns out that this '67 that I'm trying to bring back to life has a wooden steering wheel. It's quitedirty and I don't know if it's teak wood. I have heard that the teak wood factory steering wheels weren't available as an option in '67 so someone else must have installed it. I haven't started to clean it but would like to verify what it is first. Any thoughts on how to identify it?

20180312 201146
20180312 201238

I’d say a woodworking shop could/would tell you. Maybe a carpenters supply store. To me,it looks like Teak.

Thanks MikeysZ06. I don't want to high-jack this thread so I'll check around and if I find out something definitive that will help others I'll start another thread. This definitely looks like it would need some professional help as it's been sitting for probably 40 years.

It certainly isn’t Oak. That’s for sure. Mahogany perhaps? Either way,both wheels being discussed here are really sharp. I like em both.

Thanks everyone for you're input ... I've got an appointment tomorrow with a guy who's business is taking C2 Corvettes that don't meet the Top Flight NCRS judging criteria and correcting all the problem areas so the owners can get a NCRS Top Flight award. He should be able to shed significant light on what this steering wheel is or isn't.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.