This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Eray vs Z06 and why I went Eray!

I was thinking the same about the ZR1 after spending some time behind the wheel of the Z06. What on earth would I do with a ZR1, when the Z06 is more than a handful? Yes, I'm still interested, but the more I drive the Z06, the more I am convinced I have no need for 1064hp.

Plus Z06 sounds better than ZR1, higher revs plus turbos cars are more quiet

Reactions: 1st Vette
The other issue I have is the suspension, track, tire sizes and compounds are the same for a 670hp. How will it put the power down. The Z06 with the Z07 pkg barely keeps up with the transfer of power as it is.

This video isn't going to help ERAY sales

The Z06 " noise " alone is worth the upcharge lol
That Driver needs a Z06, right?
He's developed a direct correlation between the 'noise' of the car and his own driving abilities.
Kidding aside, you must admit that his presentation of the E-Ray was a bit 'clumsy' at best.
He may have made a valid point on the hp issue across the line-up (is it required?), but in terms of any analysis on the cars themselves, I believe he failed miserably.

I owned an ERay for 6 months and now own a C8 Z06. I had a C8 Stingray also for 4 years and tracked it. I bought the Eray convinced the AWD would be better for me especially on the track. I am a good driver but not the fastest by any means. FYI for comparison I used the same tires on all my C8 the MPSS4s. The Stingray was a good car but the brakes were the biggest problem. The brakes did not hold up on track even after changing rotors 3 times and 4 different pad compounds. I moved on the the ERay as it was described as a very capable track car and I knew the Z06 was may more car than I could use, based on my ability. The ERay lives up to its reputation fast acceleration, pulls through the corners and is better in variable weather conditions. It was fantastic on the track for 2 or 3 laps, likely faster than a Z06 to that point except on long straightaways. Then after 2 laps or so the battery recharge could not keep up. GM put a feature in the Eray "charge +" to compensate discharge to charge the battery faster, but at a cost. As soon as you hit the charge + button (inconveniently placed at your thigh so you have to take your hand off the wheel and find it somewhere on the side of the console), the front drive motor turns into a generator. This causes 2 major changes; the steering feeling changes suddenly and gets heavier, and the engine horsepower is burdened by the front drive - now a generator - actually reducing power to accelerate. This cut lap times down significantly due to the reduced HP taken by the front drive motor. I would say at that point the car is slower than a Stingray. I loved driving the Eray but this was car bipolar and I would have to live with that and learn to drive on track with that handicap which took away from the enjoyment for me. On the street the Eray never used up battery power and was "ON" when you wanted it to be for short bursts and it had a neat party trick "Stealth Mode". Most people including "Corvette enthusiasts" do not understand the car and like to criticize it. I found it frustrating explaining to people especially Z06 owners who do not track their cars that the ERay is the best option for the majority of Corvette owners. Some of these Z06 owners opt for the Z07 package and then replace the Cup 2's with the Eray All Season tires for a better driving feel etc.

I got the Z06 a few weeks back and just broke it in 2400kms for the track. I did one good track day a few days ago and this is the right car for me even though I will never be able to drive it at its limit. I hope to get in a few more track days before the season ends and may have more to say. Today I say buy the Eray if you are looking for an upgrade from the Stingray, unless you are going to do more than 2 or 3 track days a year. The ERay will eventually win over more Corvette enthusiasts over the next few years IMO.

Thank you very much for sharing.
Unfortunately, while I believe the E-Ray should win over the enthusiasts, it'll be a tough sell against the die-hard Z06 fans, trackers or not.

Cool perspective. Thanks for sharing.

What track were you at? And what lap times did you put down with both cars?

Great post from someone that’s owned all 3 models , thank you for sharing your information.

Reactions: PapaSmurf
The Eray on the track should not be able to rival the Z06 as it is heavier, the power band is not as immediate due to battery depletion\charging, and until the battery is not at full capacity you are basically driving a 500hp car, albeit, for short bursts. On a track the Z06 has its full bandwidth available, lighter and the handling is more track focused. I see the Eray being a terrific grand tourer tearing up canyons etc...where the requirements of power are less immediate and more gradual. I have only driven it for a couple of hours and as a daily, I would pick it over a 911 or a BMW 8 series coupe (I had an 20 M5C and hated it). I love EVs (Yes...Yes...) and will never veer away from an EV as my daily, so I see a hybrid like this being the best of ALL worlds.

"I would say at that point the car is slower than a Stingray"

So for the double the money I spent on my car, why would I buy an ERay? Plus I have been in Gilles' Z and my mind was made up before this post lol...

Last edited: