Jun 28, 2019
Brighton, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Stingray
Province
ON
I was testing out my battery maintainer this morning in preparation for winter storage of my 2019 Stingray. I have a CTEK Multi 3300 which has worked very well and reliably for the past few years keeping the battery up during winter storage for my SSR. In that case I used the included clips to attach to the power terminal under the hood because on that vehicle the battery was under the vehicle over the rear axle.
Now on my Vette I have a port in the rear compartment that takes a cigarette lighter style adapter which I have as part of my CTEK unit. So I hooked it all up and had the maintainer sitting outside the car (on the floor) as I checked out the lights on it to determine its status. After a number of hours it was still in charge mode which I know from previous experience with this unit was unusual. I also noticed that although the dash and infotainment displays had gone out the lights in the rear compartment were still on which leads me to believe that the unit will stay in constant charge mode unless and until I firmly close the rear hatch. I am reluctant to do this as I am concerned that I could pinch or short the charging wire.
So my dumb question for anyone who has a similar setup, how do you set yours up so that all the interior lights go off and the maintainer works properly?

Reactions: Phil
Byron.....the lights in the rear go out......you don't think they will, but after a few minutes, they go out. I left mine cracked open last winter because I didn't want anything pinched either.
Try partially closing the hatch......have a sammich (or any 5 minute time killer).....return to car......notice rear lighting is off.

I was testing out my battery maintainer this morning in preparation for winter storage of my 2019 Stingray. I have a CTEK Multi 3300 which has worked very well and reliably for the past few years keeping the battery up during winter storage for my SSR. In that case I used the included clips to attach to the power terminal under the hood because on that vehicle the battery was under the vehicle over the rear axle.
Now on my Vette I have a port in the rear compartment that takes a cigarette lighter style adapter which I have as part of my CTEK unit. So I hooked it all up and had the maintainer sitting outside the car (on the floor) as I checked out the lights on it to determine its status. After a number of hours it was still in charge mode which I know from previous experience with this unit was unusual. I also noticed that although the dash and infotainment displays had gone out the lights in the rear compartment were still on which leads me to believe that the unit will stay in constant charge mode unless and until I firmly close the rear hatch. I am reluctant to do this as I am concerned that I could pinch or short the charging wire.
So my dumb question for anyone who has a similar setup, how do you set yours up so that all the interior lights go off and the maintainer works properly?

I was literally going to ask the exact same question. The rear hatch closes so tightly, I was worried about pinching the wires or damaging the weather stripping.
It’s good to know I’m not alone in this concern. .
Dale.

not dumb at all. if u want to go the extra mile, put a shammy/terri cloth between the paint and the cable in case theres any debris/gunk on your cable, it wont scratch ur lovely paint. the fact that its a crack open is good for humidity regulation inside the car

Reactions: ddgermann
On the 16 and up the rear hatch pulls down tight on its own. So there’s no partial latching. The microfibre down the fender for the cord to rest on, a bit of slack inside and a loop along the hatch seal... hold in place close hatch, gently press so it pulls down. Cover car... go cry for while. Come back and the battery should read full.
however it sometimes takes hours to show fully charged. Not unusual as the OEM /CTEC maintainer is not pumping out any significant current.
Your car should be on the maintainer after only a few days of sitting due to the constant draws from the computers. Likely last longer (10-20 days) but it’s not good for your battery to draw it down like that. I would not expect it to start after 2 weeks without the tender.
And yes the light will go out if you leave the hatch open.This question came up here a few months ago and someone confirmed it.
happy storage..

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
I received my CTEK with the adapter last week, and my car cover is waiting to be picked up at the post office. I was going to post the same "dumb" question, so thanks for beating me to it, and all the replies!

Whether CTek or the GM version this is how I run the wire and fully close the back hatch for 3 years now - no worries.
(not my actual photos - I got these photos by using google)

0394c-car_charger_outlet_ba0591482143cd1bea878fec3f0e6d511947fd0d.jpg
19898-ctek2bgm2bus3300.jpg
b5eac-ctek3300.jpg

Reactions: ddgermann
I have the same CTek unit. The thin black and red wires won't harm the weather seal of the rear hatch. I've been doing this for 6th winter storage now, no issue whatsoever.

Reactions: YFCvii
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.