I belong to the Florida Corvette forum which isn't very active but I'm going to post the fact that there is resentment by our northern neighbors .Also there was talk in the legislature to find a way of taxing snowbirds . I'm starting to bond with some folks that winter in south Texas ,no that much further for me .

I think they have just cancelled this whole fiasco if I read correctly. In this economy, I don't think Florida can get away with jerking tourists around. It's not like it is the only warm place to go. I'd just as soon go to Arizona anyway if we were to go south. Actually, we don't mind winter all that much. Dale has her quilting and I seem to have a never ending list of projects that make the winter go by pretty quickly.

I don't get Florida's reasoning for requiring special certificates due to not being able to read info on licenses. Are there more than 2 languages on CAnadian licenses? French and English right.........If they can't read French then require non English licensed drivers to carry an English version so that the authorities can read them. -- That would cover any possible problem of reading non English documents.

C.

Just for telling the truth could and more likely will get you barred entry into the States for life......

Man admits to trying drugs, gets banned from U.S.

Man admits to trying drugs, gets banned from U.S. | CTV News

The "truth" is that the gun problem alone is enough to keep people away from the U.S. - not just sunny Florida -- never mind some silly incidental tiff over language and licenses ..... or some silly admission on drugs......

Shootings are bad enough here at home and getting worse, -- but in the states....WOW --

I'll be "turning around" even b4 getting started thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Do what you wish folks but this in one guy who won't be going south again any time soon.

C.

I belong to the Florida Corvette forum which isn't very active but I'm going to post the fact that there is resentment by our northern neighbors .Also there was talk in the legislature to find a way of taxing snowbirds . I'm starting to bond with some folks that winter in south Texas ,no that much further for me .

Speaking of taxing, check out pages 144-145 of the Canadian 2013 budget. The government is in the process of listing a half dozen or so Canadian banks as too big to fail and there are plans afoot to do as Cyprus did if the need arises. Here I was thinking that Canadian banks were in good shape. In comparison to many of the others in the world, perhaps they are but they are not entirely out of the woods either. Scary stuff. I e'mailed my MP for clarification. They word things so that the average person, me, might not understand what is being said and just pass over it. If I were the government, I would want to hide such stuff too.
As for Florida, I was there in '68 and don't ever care to go back. We have a lot of Canada that we want to see and will fly to see any friends that we wish to visit in the U.S. I've given up on the idea of driving down there.

I can't for the life of me figure out what Florida has against Canadians .I guess they would rather have freeloading illegals and Hispanic gangs . Canadians are non aggressive and bring money (lots) to the economy .

If I we're Canadian I'd be going to Cuba or other inexpensive areas of the Caribbean .If that was out of the question I'd head for Texas .Your always welcome in Maine but I'm not sure you'd be better off temperature wise .

I can't for the life of me figure out what Florida has against Canadians .I guess they would rather have freeloading illegals and Hispanic gangs . Canadians are non aggressive and bring money (lots) to the economy .

If I we're Canadian I'd be going to Cuba or other inexpensive areas of the Caribbean .If that was out of the question I'd head for Texas .Your always welcome in Maine but I'm not sure you'd be better off temperature wise .

You bet Steve -- If we Canadians (with all our tourist dollars) aren't welcome we'll find somewhere else that wants our business and friendly faces.:D

Until this gun issue is resolved they'll notice business drop of drastically anyway don't you think?

I really can't imagine the uproar if our tourist dollars were taken away from Florida. I think half the places would go belly up.

C.

Last time I was in Florida was 1977. No desire to return either for all of the above reasons.

I hear ya guys but truth is there's a lot of Canadians down there every year and with a lot of property too from what I've read, so the tourism business is very brisk and there's a lot of Canuck moola down there.

I too have enjoyed many visits there since my first in 1974 and have loved every one but with recent developments and attitudes towards Canadians I too have no desire to return any time soon either.

Sure glad I didn't buy any property there. It came up quite a few times in my family in the past but I (we) never took that step in favour of variety of places to visit.

I'm afraid any US destination for us right now isn't in the cards.There's a lot in Canada to see and the winter isn't that hard to take. (at least not when you look at the risk).

C.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.