kerry4

Regular
You're a Regular You're Celebrated You're Liked
Nov 14, 2019
VetteCoins
Anyone get the chance to take their C8 or other Corvettes to the drags this year? Haven't done this in 40 years when I took my 1974 Corvette and 1971 340 Dodge Demon to the strip. Amazing how much you forget. My reaction time at the lights sucked and for some reason I was getting horrible wheel hop. Maybe the track was to sticky or something. Did three races and wheel hop everything time. Did get the chance to try out launch for the first time. Just I had to back off until the rear wheels hooked up. Was afraid of doing damage. Took my 11 year old grandson with me. He had never heard of drag racing before. So he took a few videos of grandpa ripping up the strip. LOL.

Yes it was St.Thomas. Strip is just as bad as it was 40 years ago. LOL. Here is my time when I raced a Camaro. He smoked me out of the hole. I didn't use launch control this time hoping it would prevent wheel hop but it didn't so backed off a bit until after I got past the tree lights. Just had it in sport mode. But I did get the green light at the end when I caught up to him. Turn up the volume. Love the sound.
For some reason it wont let me add the time slip. Says file is to large but yet it took the video. Strange. My time was 12.03 at 117 mph. I know the car will do better. Might try a different track next year. Maybe Cayuga cause this track wasn't agreeing with my launch out of the hole.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.mov
    20.2 MB
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Anyone get the chance to take their C8 or other Corvettes to the drags this year? Haven't done this in 40 years when I took my 1974 Corvette and 1971 340 Dodge Demon to the strip. Amazing how much you forget. My reaction time at the lights sucked and for some reason I was getting horrible wheel hop. Maybe the track was to sticky or something. Did three races and wheel hop everything time. Did get the chance to try out launch for the first time. Just I had to back off until the rear wheels hooked up. Was afraid of doing damage. Took my 11 year old grandson with me. He had never heard of drag racing before. So he took a few videos of grandpa ripping up the strip. LOL.
View attachment 89382
You were right to back out of the wheel hop. Guessing that it can be just as damaging on the C8 as it can be on a front engine. Puts a ton of stress on the drive train. I had a 72 340 Duster in my youth and like a kid, I shackled the rear and that caused nasty wheel hop on it. Ended up installing traction bars so I could spin the tires at will without hop...Stopped the wheel hop but put two trannys through it before I finally sold it. lol... Guessing a DCT is likely more costly than a standard tranny was 50 years ago.

You were right to back out of the wheel hop. Guessing that it can be just as damaging on the C8 as it can be on a front engine. Puts a ton of stress on the drive train. I had a 72 340 Duster in my youth and like a kid, I shackled the rear and that caused nasty wheel hop on it. Ended up installing traction bars so I could spin the tires at will without hop...Stopped the wheel hop but put two trannys through it before I finally sold it. lol... Guessing a DCT is likely more costly than a standard tranny was 50 years ago.
I had traction bars too, what did they call them? Ladder bars? Also had wide Mickey Thompson tires on Cragers on the back. Had no problems hooking them up at the track. Funny thing is that on the street the tires work perfectly on my C8. No problems spinning them and leaving smoothly. Gotta be the track just being to sticky.

Back then every street was a drag strip . My 70 challenger RT wouldn’t pass 60 MPA without hitting redline . But from 0 to 60 hold on . 3:91 rear. And a close ratio hurst 4 speed leaving from Etobicoke ( Toronto north ) to Jackson Point ( lake Simcoe ) i would have to stop and fill again or I wouldn’t have enough fuel to get out of there . But fuel was 23 To 32 CENTS A GALLON. My next vet will see the drag strip and all hammer it . That one won’t matter . Who cares what the kids GET FOR IT . Lol gotta love these memories

Reactions: turbozig and kerry4
Back then every street was a drag strip . My 70 challenger RT wouldn’t pass 60 MPA without hitting redline . But from 0 to 60 hold on . 3:91 rear. And a close ratio hurst 4 speed leaving from Etobicoke ( Toronto north ) to Jackson Point ( lake Simcoe ) i would have to stop and fill again or I wouldn’t have enough fuel to get out of there . But fuel was 23 To 32 CENTS A GALLON. My next vet will see the drag strip and all hammer it . That one won’t matter . Who cares what the kids GET FOR IT . Lol gotta love these memories
Reminds me of back in the late 60's early 70's. In the Cambridge area we used to have a Frost top ( think evolved into an A&W ) and the Log Cabin. Both on highway 24. All the muscle cars would show up there every night of the week but on Friday and Saturday nights some would head to Pinebush road. There was a quarter mile marked out there and guys would race their cars. I didn't own a car back then, was to young....and broke. LOL. Got my first ride in a Plymouth 440 GTX. Wow. Just blew my mind and was hooked on muscle cars ever since.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.