Sep 30, 2021
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
21 Vette Z51
Province
ON
Driving around in tour , sport and Z mode ( I pretty much only use Z mode ). I keep my engine shift setting mid way ( sport )

The car frequently goes into V4 with regular city driving . I found that the only way it stays in V8 is if I set the engine shift to max ( track ) or I actually go into track mode .

Does anyone know if there is actually a way to disable the eco mode without going into max engine shift ?

Never understood why this is even a concern for anyone?? Just relax, enjoy the ride and don't drive like 75% of drivers these days as if they are 2hrs late for work.....:)
The concern may arise from the significant engine failures in the Jeep SRT and Dodge SRT vehicles where the reduced cylinder mode has lunched cam shafts and valve assembles all across North America. It happed to me and my next door neighbour's SRT. $7K later we were both back on the road finding someone to buy our vehicles.

• Agree
Reactions: Vettenut
I don't like manual mode because half the turns I do the paddles are UPSIDE DOWN or at least sideways. I am usually in Z-Mode with Track shift so stays in V4 but just take it easy on the gas pedal and the engine/shift calms down.

I don't like manual mode because half the turns I do the paddles are UPSIDE DOWN or at least sideways. I am usually in Z-Mode with Track shift so stays in V4 but just take it easy on the gas pedal and the engine/shift calms down.
I found the same thing. You have to time your shifts in sharp corners so you're not shifting mid corner.

Reactions: Red Devil
The concern may arise from the significant engine failures in the Jeep SRT and Dodge SRT vehicles where the reduced cylinder mode has lunched cam shafts and valve assembles all across North America. It happed to me and my next door neighbour's SRT. $7K later we were both back on the road finding someone to buy our vehicles.
GM has had the same issues with their AFM (active fuel management) system since 2010. There are numerous lawsuits in the States
for this very issue on the 5.3, 5.7 and 6.2 Litre engines for lifter and cam shaft failures.
If you tend to keep your car for many years (as I do) it is a real concern.
You can buy an AFM override that plugs in to the OBDii port that will prevent the AFM from kicking in, but to do it correctly for the long term
it is recommended to change the cam shaft as it is machined differently for the AFM feature.
Lots of info on web for this subject.

GM has had the same issues with their AFM (active fuel management) system since 2010. There are numerous lawsuits in the States
for this very issue on the 5.3, 5.7 and 6.2 Litre engines for lifter and cam shaft failures.
If you tend to keep your car for many years (as I do) it is a real concern.
You can buy an AFM override that plugs in to the OBDii port that will prevent the AFM from kicking in, but to do it correctly for the long term
it is recommended to change the cam shaft as it is machined differently for the AFM feature.
Lots of info on web for this subject.
Any idea what the downside of not changing the camshaft might be?
I found some info on US lawsuits about AFM/lifter/engine failures online.
Interesting reads/perspectives.
Maybe GM should stop force feeding climate change fixes on buyers?
Or, maybe it should be user controlled, like some other "upgrades" that can potentially cause grief?
I've never owned an AFM equipped vehicle so it's hard for me to imagine what it feels like in use.

I found the same thing. You have to time your shifts in sharp corners so you're not shifting mid corner.

Once exiting a tight corner I grabbed for where I thought the paddle was to upshift and the radio got louder. Brake hard, next corner, I went to downshift and the radio changed stations so went from ELO's "Long Black Road" to McGraw's "Truck Yeah!". I realize F1 uses paddles but what are their favorite radio stations?

Once exiting a tight corner I grabbed for where I thought the paddle was to upshift and the radio got louder. Brake hard, next corner, I went to downshift and the radio changed stations so went from ELO's "Long Black Road" to McGraw's "Truck Yeah!". I realize F1 uses paddles but what are their favorite radio stations?
That's a good 'en! LOL.
I finally figured out that the transmission is smarter than me so I just let it do the shifting. ;)

• Clever
Reactions: MKinOntario
Track mode. If you don't like automatic high rpm shifting, select the mid selection for tranny shifting. Maximum noise selected. Problem solved, no V4, and no need to shift manually in a corner.

Jack approved.....
Thanks for that ... and I did try it

But in track mode when I press the shift to try to put it at the mid way point the screen just tells me to make changes in Z mode or My mode . Wont let me make those changes in track . Maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

Thats the only thing I would change about my Vette .... Stationary paddles mounted on the column instead of the wheel .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.