Regular
Dec 26, 2012
St. Albert, AB
VetteCoins
Car
2023 HTC
Province
AB
I have a 2016 Stingray with 13,000kms and while cleaning under the hood, noticed a black powder on the passenger side inner fender and various other areas. It was my serpentine belt that had the center groove missing and the steel belts showing. The dealer replaced it, plus examined the pulley to check for a cause. The belt was defective.
This may be something to watch for.

I have a 2016 Stingray with 13,000kms and while cleaning under the hood, noticed a black powder on the passenger side inner fender and various other areas. It was my serpentine belt that had the center groove missing and the steel belts showing. The dealer replaced it, plus examined the pulley to check for a cause. The belt was defective.

I'm thinking for sure a defective belt as those things seem pretty bulletproof these days. Good you caught it before it grenaded and made more of a mess.
There's the Corvette owner vs owners of the "others" ... I have had many new/er pick ups and Hummers and never look under the hood. Who checks oil anymore with the modern engines? Just get it serviced every 5000K and forget about it.
With the Corvettes the hood is open everyday... Just to admire if nothing else. :thumbs:

I didn't take a picture of it, but is was a course black powder that was on the alternator and other parts, but showed up on the passenger inner fender. My car is silver so it was easy to spot. The belt was very obvious to notice as the center rib was gone.

Reactions: YFCvii
Checked out my 2016 Stringray ... I am all good :thumbs:
... likely an unfortunate anomaly for you ...
BUT
you caught it !
AND
then you paid-it-forward through CCF:canada:
making something not so great (for you) better for others

and for that I applaud you for making many of us look :Watching:
Thanks! :Cheers2:

Last edited:
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Another guy with a 2015 Z06 had the same thing happen to him as well. 17000kms.

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye on things when cleaning under the hood - only 5000K on mine so far.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.