Jan 1, 2014
Calgary AB
VetteCoins
Car
77 Corvette L82
Province
AB
Hey guys,

Well as many of you know I finished off my last major project on my car after two years of work.

What many of you don't know is the little hiccup that befell me on the first drive of my car and the cool project that developed out of it.

In July I trailered my car to get PPF put on the entire front of the car as well as any critical areas. I drove the car home for the first time in two years and when I got home I noticed the exhaust was way out of alignment. I went underneath to fix it and noticed my rear dual mount mono leaf spring had broken and the weight of the car was resting on the exhaust. Now this happened for a couple reasons. I had my buddy weld up a new cut and weld stainless exhaust and had him do an X pipe under the diff. That moved the exhaust closer to the rear spring. However, there should have still been enough room but my leaf spring was also too weak and flexed more than I calculated which led to its failure. Now, I couldn't get a replacement leaf spring because VB&P was the only company that made the dual mount rear mono spring kit and they went out of business a few years ago. So I was leaf (lol) with two choices; revert back to the old leaf spring, or develop a new Coilover setup. I guess by the title of this thread you can guess what I chose.

I sat under my car and drafted the design and once I was happy with it I made a cardboard prototype to make sure the setup would work. In my design I had to factor in what was available on the market for Coilover lengths as well as the degree that the Coilover would sit at and the how the angle and distance from the wheel would effect the spring rate.

At this point you might be wondering why I didn't just buy a rear Coilover kit. Well, there were three reasons, every option was either over priced, poorly designed, or more involved than needed, or a combination of those. I wanted to build something that could be bolted on in under 1 hour, required no drilling, and performed better or at least comparably to any other rear coilover kit. I also had a brand new set of offset Vansteel trailing arms and didn't want to go through the hassle and expense of swapping them for the coilover version.

I took my sketched design and created it in CAD, sent the file off to be water jet cut out of 1/4" 6061 Aluminum, ordered the rest of the metal and had my buddy weld it together. After a test fit and a few tweaks I painted the mounts and installed them.

The upper Coilover mounts act like the Van Steel Crossmember reinforcements and bolt in with one nut. The front plate of the mount butts against the crossmember which supports the mount from rotating. The bottom mount bolts onto the trailing arm with a single 3/4" bolt. If you aren't running a rear swap bar, at least one 5/16" bolt should be installed as security to prevent any rotating. The leaf bushing cup needed to be hammered out and I made and installed aluminum tubes to reinforce the crossmember, and so I could use a smaller bolt without having any slop.

In the end I created a rear Coilover kit that doubles as a crossmember reinforcement, improves vehicle stability by having suspension mounts closer to the edge of the frame, can be bolted in place in under 1 hour without any drilling, improved handling, allows you to use the factory sway bar mounting holes, and is cheaper than any other Coilover kit. The car now handles insanely better than it ever did with the dual mount leaf and miles ahead of my factory leaf spring.

I have made some improvements to the kit since I made this one and I am selling these mounting brackets if anyone has Vansteel trailing arms and is looking to update their suspension.

I've also designed an improved version of my upper strut rod kit which improves the handling of the rear end by removing rear wheel play and improves the camber curve. It also takes the stress off of your different carrier and half shafts. This kit is also available for sale. You can private message me for more information and ordering. I have also partnered with Western Corvette so you can also purchase it through them.

I have a few more projects in the works such as a carbon fiber 14" air filter lid, carbon fiber door panel inserts, and carbon fiber door sills. More recently I have designed a weighted stainless steel shift knob with either forged carbon fiber trim or perforated leather trim. I am currently in the process of getting two prototypes machined.

Hope you guys enjoyed this write up and didn't mind the sales pitch at the end. I have really found a love for part design, and creation and have thoroughly enjoyed my time learning and working with CAD. This is more of what I would like to do for a living so I'm trying to venture into this by creating more parts.

Attachments

• IMG_20220825_184908432.jpg
    IMG_20220825_184908432.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20220806_143010781.jpg
    IMG_20220806_143010781.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20220730_215102864.jpg
    IMG_20220730_215102864.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20220712_142621113.jpg
    IMG_20220712_142621113.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20220716_140138641.jpg
    IMG_20220716_140138641.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20220717_172747896.jpg
    IMG_20220717_172747896.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20220801_154312155.jpg
    IMG_20220801_154312155.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20220825_171338356.jpg
    IMG_20220825_171338356.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20220825_185614383.jpg
    IMG_20220825_185614383.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
Hey guys,

Well as many of you know I finished off my last major project on my car after two years of work.

What many of you don't know is the little hiccup that befell me on the first drive of my car and the cool project that developed out of it.

In July I trailered my car to get PPF put on the entire front of the car as well as any critical areas. I drove the car home for the first time in two years and when I got home I noticed the exhaust was way out of alignment. I went underneath to fix it and noticed my rear dual mount mono leaf spring had broken and the weight of the car was resting on the exhaust. Now this happened for a couple reasons. I had my buddy weld up a new cut and weld stainless exhaust and had him do an X pipe under the diff. That moved the exhaust closer to the rear spring. However, there should have still been enough room but my leaf spring was also too weak and flexed more than I calculated which led to its failure. Now, I couldn't get a replacement leaf spring because VB&P was the only company that made the dual mount rear mono spring kit and they went out of business a few years ago. So I was leaf (lol) with two choices; revert back to the old leaf spring, or develop a new Coilover setup. I guess by the title of this thread you can guess what I chose.

I sat under my car and drafted the design and once I was happy with it I made a cardboard prototype to make sure the setup would work. In my design I had to factor in what was available on the market for Coilover lengths as well as the degree that the Coilover would sit at and the how the angle and distance from the wheel would effect the spring rate.

At this point you might be wondering why I didn't just buy a rear Coilover kit. Well, there were three reasons, every option was either over priced, poorly designed, or more involved than needed, or a combination of those. I wanted to build something that could be bolted on in under 1 hour, required no drilling, and performed better or at least comparably to any other rear coilover kit. I also had a brand new set of offset Vansteel trailing arms and didn't want to go through the hassle and expense of swapping them for the coilover version.

I took my sketched design and created it in CAD, sent the file off to be water jet cut out of 1/4" 6061 Aluminum, ordered the rest of the metal and had my buddy weld it together. After a test fit and a few tweaks I painted the mounts and installed them.

The upper Coilover mounts act like the Van Steel Crossmember reinforcements and bolt in with one nut. The front plate of the mount butts against the crossmember which supports the mount from rotating. The bottom mount bolts onto the trailing arm with a single 3/4" bolt. If you aren't running a rear swap bar, at least one 5/16" bolt should be installed as security to prevent any rotating. The leaf bushing cup needed to be hammered out and I made and installed aluminum tubes to reinforce the crossmember, and so I could use a smaller bolt without having any slop.

In the end I created a rear Coilover kit that doubles as a crossmember reinforcement, improves vehicle stability by having suspension mounts closer to the edge of the frame, can be bolted in place in under 1 hour without any drilling, improved handling, allows you to use the factory sway bar mounting holes, and is cheaper than any other Coilover kit. The car now handles insanely better than it ever did with the dual mount leaf and miles ahead of my factory leaf spring.

I have made some improvements to the kit since I made this one and I am selling these mounting brackets if anyone has Vansteel trailing arms and is looking to update their suspension.

I've also designed an improved version of my upper strut rod kit which improves the handling of the rear end by removing rear wheel play and improves the camber curve. It also takes the stress off of your different carrier and half shafts. This kit is also available for sale. You can private message me for more information and ordering. I have also partnered with Western Corvette so you can also purchase it through them.

I have a few more projects in the works such as a carbon fiber 14" air filter lid, carbon fiber door panel inserts, and carbon fiber door sills. More recently I have designed a weighted stainless steel shift knob with either forged carbon fiber trim or perforated leather trim. I am currently in the process of getting two prototypes machined.

Hope you guys enjoyed this write up and didn't mind the sales pitch at the end. I have really found a love for part design, and creation and have thoroughly enjoyed my time learning and working with CAD. This is more of what I would like to do for a living so I'm trying to venture into this by creating more parts.
Looks great Jr. I’ll be rolling under mine on the creeper to have good look. 👍

Reactions: Jr. Corvette
Hey guys,

Hi Jr, that all looks great. I too have a 77 with those trailing arms, can you contact me with additional info on this.
Thanks,
Tom

Hey guys. Just wanted to give an update to this thread. I am still selling these kits and I have finished a second version. I have one installed on my car and Tom, another forum member, has one installed on their car. I worked with Tom to alter the design to work with his car. The redesign includes a stronger design for the lower and upper mounts, as well as now being compatible with both factory and aftermarket sway bars.

All coilover mounting kits include a detailed instruction manual and all bolts and hardware. Coilovers not included but I can provide recommendations with wheel to wheel arch reference pictures. PM me if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_20230218_170353337.jpg
    IMG_20230218_170353337.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20221204_204842581.jpg
    IMG_20221204_204842581.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20221201_172002211.jpg
    IMG_20221201_172002211.jpg
    860.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230207_142434.jpg
    20230207_142434.jpg
    851.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230207_142721.jpg
    20230207_142721.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20221121_162527586.jpg
    IMG_20221121_162527586.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20221127_164610115.jpg
    IMG_20221127_164610115.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20221122_145007810.jpg
    IMG_20221122_145007810.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 41
I love the design Cody, amazing work. I see you may have found a new career or it may lead you to one, maybe working for GM engineers on the C9 or C10. Your dedication is to be admired. Congratulations!
Thanks Ziggy! I appreciate that. I am actually starting a business and this rear suspension kit will be on the website along with some weighted stainless steel shift knobs I designed available in 2 styles, and with 3 options, bare, paintable plastic trim, and carbon fiber trim. I mocked these up using clay to ensure they felt very comfortable, then 3D printed them, then had a machine shop make a couple prototypes. I also designed them with a counter bore in the bottom so if a thread adapter is needed, you won't see the adapter and jam nut. Also will have a couple of parts for other cars. I'm also planning on selling some extremely light weight 14" carbon fiber air filter lids.

I've been working on this project most of this winter and I'm loving every step so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20230324_163551179.jpg
    IMG_20230324_163551179.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230324_161516022.jpg
    IMG_20230324_161516022.jpg
    928.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20230325_154921283.jpg
    IMG_20230325_154921283.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230325_155037075.jpg
    IMG_20230325_155037075.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230325_154157408.jpg
    IMG_20230325_154157408.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230325_154327724.jpg
    IMG_20230325_154327724.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 30
Any website yet?
Coming soon!

I'm currently building inventory. I've scraped development of carbon fiber shift knob trims as they could not be scaled into production. I may offer true forged carbon shift knob trim pieces in the future as the are easier to produce. I have developed more modular shift knob trim options which can all be easily painted or hydro dipped. I've also developed some 'stingray' style door pulls. I'm working on some carbon fiber parts which may also be available if I can scaled them for production.

I hope to be done building inventory this week and hope to have the website up this month. I've been a bit busy working on small details on my car as it is going to be featured in a corvette magazine and I need fo get it ready for the photoshoot.

Here are some pictures of what's to come!

Attachments

• IMG_20230520_171311484.jpg
    IMG_20230520_171311484.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230608_222841152.jpg
    IMG_20230608_222841152.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230430_154046844.jpg
    IMG_20230430_154046844.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230419_215629215.jpg
    IMG_20230419_215629215.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230531_213009995.jpg
    IMG_20230531_213009995.jpg
    941.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230416_181558161.jpg
    IMG_20230416_181558161.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hey guys,

Just a quick update. I have been working on the website and I have it half built. There were a couple projects that came up as well as the photo shoot which delayed me a bit. I should get a good portion of the website done this weekend. Hoping to be ready to launch in 1-2 weeks.

I've also attached a couple photos of a new part that will be available on the website. 3" Carbon fiber (weave or forged) breather cover weighing around 7g.

Attachments

• IMG_20230707_130414510.jpg
    IMG_20230707_130414510.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230725_153231690.jpg
    IMG_20230725_153231690.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230707_130419641.jpg
    IMG_20230707_130419641.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230721_172605500.jpg
    IMG_20230721_172605500.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230705_142544689.jpg
    IMG_20230705_142544689.jpg
    881.8 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Ziggy! I appreciate that. I am actually starting a business and this rear suspension kit will be on the website along with some weighted stainless steel shift knobs I designed available in 2 styles, and with 3 options, bare, paintable plastic trim, and carbon fiber trim. I mocked these up using clay to ensure they felt very comfortable, then 3D printed them, then had a machine shop make a couple prototypes. I also designed them with a counter bore in the bottom so if a thread adapter is needed, you won't see the adapter and jam nut. Also will have a couple of parts for other cars. I'm also planning on selling some extremely light weight 14" carbon fiber air filter lids.

I've been working on this project most of this winter and I'm loving every step so far.
Hey Junior, you are truly a master. I envy your creativity with masterful creations especially when you beat the "professionals". Well done.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.