Apr 30, 2012
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 1SB
A lot of us guys have newer Corvettes. We have had no problems getting into cruise nights around here. Does this hold true elsewhere? A friend of mine, who we won't mention, ;) was running a local cruise night. A guy with an old car started ragging on him about the newer cars going to ruin the cruise night. My friend politely informed the guy that if he didn't like it, he could leave but be careful and don't damage your car going over the curb. Lots of car shows have date cut offs and that is fine. Car shows are something entirely different in my book. To me, cruise nights are a throw back to the sixties when we would all meet, with whatever we had, at a local A&W, doughnut shop or whatever. Joe Scollard started the first cruise night idea in Peterborough around 1990 if not before. It was just 8-10 guys meeting in the Filtration Plant Zoo parking lot much like in the sixties and it evolved into a very successful cruise night at various venues around town as it grew. Anyone and everyone was welcome and I imagine the businesses enjoyed the extra income. What do you guys think? Are the cruise nights just for the old cars or should everyone be welcome?

Kieth, I'm with you! Your right, there is a big difference between a cruise and a show. Around here on Thursday night it's whatever your driving at the time. Lots of people just like to stop to say hello, and that's fine. But if your judging for trophy's that's a different matter and I can see why they separate classes for everything. Here they even have a late model class and there's lots of newer Corvettes show up. And you know what, sometimes they attract more attention than the oldies.
Rob

Well, not really sure how to do a cut off for a cruise night. "Your car's old enough, but it has four doors", "Nice car, it's just the wrong color", "Your year of car didn't come with that engine", Wrong wheels" and the list could go on and on about why someone doesn't want your car there. If someone loves their 1993 Cavalier and wants to show it off, cool.

As for car shows, Hmmmmm. This is a little more touchy. If cars are only to be pre-'74 ,it better stated because there is a lot of really nice new stuff too and unfortunately, a lot of younger kids only know the newer stuff. And if you are going to let the new stuff in, I don't know how to split that up...stating only certain models of vehicles? What's the problem exactly if newer cars are let in? Do people worry that their car won't get as much attention or it will be lost in the noise? I only worry about my car being there, I don't care what someone else brought unless it's the same as mine, then we have to fight....and don't even get me started if someone where's the same outfit as me!....just kidding.

I go to car shows to see the old stuff as I don't really care to look at cars that I can go and see on a dealership lot or ones where you already passed 5 of the exact same cars on the way to the show as someone is displaying, but someone else might like that, who am I to say? I will always enjoy seeing a C6Z or ZR1, Viper, Porsche, because you don't see a ton of them around here. Heck, I even like seeing some Acura's/Honda's/Subaru's because it's neat to see what the kids are doing these days.

it shouldn't be an issue really unless an event is billed as classic cars. classic is generally accepted as 74 and older. if an an event isn't billed as classic, it should be run whatcha brung. there are always cars and trucks of special interest regardless of the year. :D

it would seem kind of silly to tell my buddy he couldn't take his roush stage 3 mustang to cruise night because it's an 07 !!!

Last edited:
I have seen this happen in our part of the world also. One of the best cruise nights I like to go to is in Ancaster. I have never had a problem with my 88, but Wayne was told his 04 was too new....... not right in my opinion.
To my way of thinking, it's a cruise night. Even Hagerty makes allowances for two seat convertibles.
I think if you are driving a mini van you are not really interested in cruise night anyway. With that said, yes a car show may be different as to how it is billed. But A&W, that is a whole other thing.

I've been wondering about this ...

We have a local thursday night cruise here and I wondered whether I should take my car down or not , and in my own mind, thinking I probably shouldn't because it seems to be more for the older "hot rod " type cars .

I think if I did go out, and was told my car was too new, I wouldn't be offended ... I understand both sides of this debate .

I've been wondering about this ...

We have a local thursday night cruise here and I wondered whether I should take my car down or not , and in my own mind, thinking I probably shouldn't because it seems to be more for the older "hot rod " type cars .

I think if I did go out, and was told my car was too new, I wouldn't be offended ... I understand both sides of this debate .

+1 -- same here in Cambridge, Jim.....no biggie to me.

I've always found that pleasantness goes a long way in promoting the sport(s) as well as camradery -- well most of the time anyway.;)

my 2 nickels.
C.

Last edited:
Where do you cut it off though?
Good Guys Runs have a cut off at '72 so that means both my 73's (Vette and Z28) are too new and I wouldn't be able to take either one to a good guys run.

Some places such as Pumpkinfest in Port Elgin have a cut off at 25 years and over. That has always been the traditional definition of an antique vehicle. That would mean an '88 K-car is an antique though. :confused:

I'm on the fence with this one; on the one hand, it's a lot more difficult to keep a 40 year old car in top shape for showing vs a new Corvette or Camaro and I have been guilty of feeling like the guy that was ticked by the new cars getting in (although I kept it to myself) and on the other hand, I like all nice cars and the work that goes into customizing them. I have heard more than one spectator at a cruise night question a newer vehicle being on display so it's not just the owners. I don't know what the answer is.

I'm on the fence with this one; on the one hand, it's a lot more difficult to keep a 40 year old car in top shape for showing vs a new Corvette or Camaro and I have been guilty of feeling like the guy that was ticked by the new cars getting in (although I kept it to myself)

I hear ya on this, last year while attending a car show at the GM Toledo plant I heard "anyone can write a check" as our group of 5th Gen Camaro's drove in. but to take this one step further when the Canadian Street Rod Nationals were held in Hamilton (Confederation Park 2002 or 2003) there were many very nice street rods that were bought not built by the owner (one Willis was over $100K)

I'm reluctant to take my 2011 Camaro SS to car shows as I agree that most shows are intended for cars 25 years and older

I hear ya on this, last year while attending a car show at the GM Toledo plant I heard "anyone can write a check" as our group of 5th Gen Camaro's drove in. but to take this one step further when the Canadian Street Rod Nationals were held in Hamilton (Confederation Park 2002 or 2003) there were many very nice street rods that were bought not built by the owner (one Willis was over $100K)

I'm reluctant to take my 2011 Camaro SS to car shows as I agree that most shows are intended for cars 25 years and older

Very good point on the top rods being bought rather than built. I think for me, a cruise night/car show is a nostalgia night; a chance to see cars from my childhood/youth or even before I was born. There's no nostalgia to me in looking at a 2000 and up vehicle; I can see one on a used car lot. But that's my opinion.

Very good point on the top rods being bought rather than built. I think for me, a cruise night/car show is a nostalgia night; a chance to see cars from my childhood/youth or even before I was born. There's no nostalgia to me in looking at a 2000 and up vehicle; I can see one on a used car lot. But that's my opinion.

:agree: though I do like to drive the new stuff I'd rather drool over the cars I grew up with

Last year was my first year for the Corvette, so I generally e-mailed ahead to the organizations putting on the shows to find out for sure if the car was welcome. Cookstown last fall was good. Haliburton was good, as were all the local cruise nights. I have been to every single Autofest in Oshawa with our old Chevelles and Lemans. Last year was the year of the Corvette at Autofest. I contacted them and I was eligible BUT, I had to belong to a Corvette club. Not being the club type of person, I said no thanks. Lots of times, Dale and I will hop in the car on a Sunday morning and go for an all day drive, often with no route plan in particular. We actually enjoy that more than any car show.

Last year was my first year for the Corvette, so I generally e-mailed ahead to the organizations putting on the shows to find out for sure if the car was welcome. Cookstown last fall was good. Haliburton was good, as were all the local cruise nights. I have been to every single Autofest in Oshawa with our old Chevelles and Lemans. Last year was the year of the Corvette at Autofest. I contacted them and I was eligible BUT, I had to belong to a Corvette club. Not being the club type of person, I said no thanks. Lots of times, Dale and I will hop in the car on a Sunday morning and go for an all day drive, often with no route plan in particular. We actually enjoy that more than any car show.

You'd be welcome in Wiarton and Southampton as I've seen a few late model Vettes there; not sure about Owen Sound. With Pumpkinfest, any year of Corvette is welcome in the Corvette Corral but to park on main street the car must be 25 years old. I think a good point of reference would be to look at the name of the sponsor of the cruise; if it says "Classic" in the name then I don't think late models belong. If it just says "Cruisers" then probably OK.

Case75 said it best....but, seriously....DRIVE your cars. Personally, I might show my car once at the local Friday Night Cruise, but I am generally too busy to sit on my ass for three hours in a parking lot, worrying about what people thing of my car.

You'd be welcome in Wiarton and Southampton as I've seen a few late model Vettes there; not sure about Owen Sound. With Pumpkinfest, any year of Corvette is welcome in the Corvette Corral but to park on main street the car must be 25 years old. I think a good point of reference would be to look at the name of the sponsor of the cruise; if it says "Classic" in the name then I don't think late models belong. If it just says "Cruisers" then probably OK.

With more late model 'vettes and fewer early models, that's understandable.

I bet I see 50 late model vettes before I see 1 early one (on the average) -- in our travels.

Earlier models have earned their vintage status -- late models aren't there yet.

The hard part is where to draw the line. 25 years back takes us to one of the nicest 'vettes (in my humble opinion), and altho some aren't excluded due to being older, I'd like to see the exclusion limit at the end of C4 not about half way thru it. -- 17 years this year then 18 years next etc etc. up to a limit of whatever is chosen.

Just a few thoughts.:D
Colin.

Another point is that there is a lot of "Corvette Only" type of cruise-ins. So finding a place to go is not a big deal. I kind of like the corvette only things, as I am a vette owner. But looking at all the other stuff around is also a great source of enjoyment. What's a guy to do............. Best part of any cruise / show is getting there.......
If only we were all a bit closer to one another; we could start our own thing.

There is a really good show in Niagara on the Lake at Reif winery, it's put on by the local Corvette club but is open to all makes and years. there was some real cool cars there last year as well as a display with every generation of Corvette from C1 to C6

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.