...I find your findings interesting but don't understand how you did it ? I just recently bought a 82 with the crossfire, my first time working on one ( I'm old school !!! ) . I understand that the fuel pressure is regulated by a calibrated spring in the rear throttle body unit controlled by the fuel pump pressure and a diaphram relief valve. This is not adjustable is it ? How did you increase fuel pressure ?
Timing is controlled by the ECM via the sensors , how do you alter the ecm to give more advance timing ? There is no vac advance or weights in the distributor so timing is adjusted electronically as per sensor readings, engine temp etc. ...:confused:

For the timing, unplug the brown wire going to the distributor, it disconnects it from the computer and lets you adjust the timing without the computer resetting it back to stock. Once you plug the brown wire back in the computer thinks that's the stock setting. If you don't unplug the brown wire the timing will not be advanced.

Reactions: L83
adjustment screw is on the Front Drivers side TB. You must remove the TB from the lid and then separate the tower. The screw is on the bottom located between the incoming fuel line and the fuel line that runs to the other TB. It has a strange D configuration so you need to either buy the tool that fits or use a dremel tools and cut a slot so you can use a screw driver. You will need to replace the bladder when you open up the TB to pop off the cover.

....thanks 4 the info, not that difficult to do, I may have that driver tip as it looks like what sasktel uses on there phone boxes !! . So what difference have you seen doing these mods as far as fuel mileage and acceleration ? I have only done one long ride home from Edmonton when I bought the car last fall and @ 110-115 it made 29.5 mpg, I hate to see that go down. Advanced timing may boost it alittle.

I have found my mpg to stay the same or go up. I also installed that crossfire aftermarket intake called " the renegade". I now have snappier acceleration and if you noticed after you hit 4000 rpm your engine runs out of power. With the new intake it has more power above 4000 rpm. With the intake, advanced timing, bump in fuel pressure I gained over a second in 0-60 and I hit high 13's in the 1/4 mile. Lots of fun tinkering with these old cars. Oh and I am not a mechanic at all. I just read up on the Internet and try things. These cars are easy to work on.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Am I the only Canadian that gets horny for crossfires? I rank them up there with the ZR-1. Just a unique cool setup. Ok maybe just below the ZR-1. If you just adjust the crossfire to peak performance and not add any parts it is faster than a TPI.

advance the timing
raise the fuel pressure and bore out the runners the way they originally were.

See the metal that was added to the runners by GM to slow down the crossfire to make the new TPI seem faster. They claim they added the metal to give the crossfire more bottem end off the line performance. Not true.

The last picture is my stock intake on the bottem and my crossfire renegade intake with full size runners on the top. Big performance gain with this intake.

That's the renegade intake installed you can see how much larger the runners are all the way through.

hats the small runners on a stock crossfire.

....is the factory intake runner that restricted all the way or is that just a lip that can be ground off thus making it more open like the renegade ? Man they sure restricted the air flow in it, I never worked on one so was surprised to see it.

....is the factory intake runner that restricted all the way or is that just a lip that can be ground off thus making it more open like the renegade ? Man they sure restricted the air flow in it, I never worked on one so was surprised to see it.

Its restricted the whole way. When you open up the ports you get lots of top end so you should get a high stall convertor and some lower gears.

Crossfire performance tip of the day!
By cutting the plastic on the bottom to match the hole in the hood and sealing it with foam will force more air into the air ducts of the hood creating a ram air effect. In theory it should help with performance but I have not seen any documented performance numbers but seems like a good idea.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread