When I ordered my 2020 coupe I was a healthy 49 years old and had no issues removing the top manually.

Skip to three years later and I have a herniated disk in my neck and I cant take the top off by myself anymore. One of my sons has to do it for me.

Put my deposit down for a convertible 15 months ago and still waiting for an allocation.

I wish I had ordered the HTC from the get go but its easy to say that now.

If you can afford the HTC you might as well get it. Just in case you get old and broken like me. lol

Reactions: MKinOntario
If you can afford the HTC you might as well get it. Just in case you get old.
Is there something you know that I don't? I'm pretty sure you can't stop the aging process! ;)
Was the HTC an option for you? I thought you ordered around the same time as me and the HTC wasn't out at that time.

@Sparro received one of the 1st Canadian HTC, but I'm not sure when he ordered. I think he was No.1 at his Dealer though. They gave him a badge, he sewed it unto a jacket...
Ya, I remember that. My final order went in in December of 2019, not sure if I was actually allocated then or just very close enough to be ready for the next round, but I do remember talking to both Sparro and SebringC8 AKA VitaminC8 around the same time.

I'll chime in...

2020 Coupe - with Transparent Roof. Enjoyed the clear roof because on either sunny or cloudy days it really gives the interior an airy feel (like Jacks vacations).

2021 HTC - ordered it thinking I'd love it and although good with ease of use and being convenient, I just didn't use it as much as I thought plus wasn't totally enamored with the look of the HTC.

2023 Coupe - went back to a coupe as I prefer its looks and went dual roof option (although received a Carbon Roof instead by mistake which dealership rectified with Transparent). I much prefer the Targa look when the roof is off and its wind noise is similar to that of the HTC so it nets out.

I wonder what they did to the roof on the C8 to make it so heavy that the average man
(other than herniated discs, broken backs, or one arm drivers) can't manage quite easily. I'm in good physical condition but I'm not a body builder (160 lbs soaking wet) but at 68 years young I have both the exposed carbon fibre and the lexan tops for my C7 and I don't find either one of them difficult to remove, store or re-install. Takes all of 20 seconds to release the three latches and have the roof stored and all of 30 seconds to put it back on. The carbon roof is certainly somewhat lighter than the lexan and I do use the carbon fibre top more often as the car stays cooler and people compliment the look of the exposed carbon regularly. When I'm in the mountains I do use the lexan for the added scenery and the temps are usually not in the mid 30's. JMO

I'll chime in...

2020 Coupe - with Transparent Roof. Enjoyed the clear roof because on either sunny or cloudy days it really gives the interior an airy feel (like Jacks vacations).

2021 HTC - ordered it thinking I'd love it and although good with ease of use and being convenient, I just didn't use it as much as I thought plus wasn't totally enamored with the look of the HTC.

2023 Coupe - went back to a coupe as I prefer its looks and went dual roof option (although received a Carbon Roof instead by mistake which dealership rectified with Transparent). I much prefer the Targa look when the roof is off and its wind noise is similar to that of the HTC so it nets out.
Wow, three C8s. Any specific reason why you replaced? Based on wait times, it would be interesting to hear your timeline ie ordered 2021 before receiving 2020? ordered 2023 before receiving 2021?

I agree with you on which car looks better :)

I am also interested in your comment about sound level in the two cars as I have read some reviews that state the HTC is much quieter with top down as compared to coupe with top off.

As far as transparent top, if anyone is interested, make sure you order with the car. I purchased separate and was really expensive. Also I noticed I had to drop my A/C 2 degrees from 22 to 20 on sunny days.

As far as roof weight I pulled this from another forum (not verified):
15.5 lbs - Body Color Painted Top
14 lbs - Carbon Fiber Top
17 lbs - Transparent Top (shipping weight was 20 lbs but that included 9 page install manual)

One thing that is often missed in these discussions is the fact that wind noise and buffeting in coupe will be much worse.

I already drive with earplugs on the highway with my HTC top down because it’s just too loud. Would be much worse in a coupe.

Reactions: Dik
It had heavy cover bindings. :Biggrin:
The rear latch is the only part in common with the C7 btw. Anyway it's not the weight per se. I said it was awkward. It's difficult to hold it straight out without putting your foot in the driver side floor. Then your right hand is in the way so you have to lever the roof with your left elbow and use your right hand on the left side of the roof to put it in place. Morgan Crosbie had a video on how he did it, but I can't find it.
I have no idea how the C7 works, so I can't compare.
And, yes, I'm no light weight, but I am 71 and have arthritis in my hands, but I can still do it. It's just awkward!

Last edited:
One thing that is often missed in these discussions is the fact that wind noise and buffeting in coupe will be much worse.

I already drive with earplugs on the highway with my HTC top down because it’s just too loud. Would be much worse in a coupe.
I don't find that at all!

Reactions: MKinOntario
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.