Money-sense quick math X1 ...
For a full single tank of gas one would save up to 75 cents to $1.00 for every penny per litre saved at the pump. Yup ... agreed ... perhaps no big deal.

Math with a multiplier ...
When viewed at with many single fuel stops over a year’s timeframe ...
I get an annual statement from COOP and it tells me I purchased 4000 litres for all my daily drivers and corvettes in 2019. Then COOP rebates 8 cents per litre = $320.00 and after an equity deduction (which I can cash in) and income tax withholding, I get a cheque for $230.00 which equates to about 3 full tanks of complimentary fuel and all I gotta do is just enter my no-annual-fee member number at the pump and that’s it. If I was getting a 10cent discount immediately at pump every fill over the year, it equates to an extra complimentary tank full, Hopefully a simple explanation of the penny saved at the pump.

The 91/94 ethanol/no ethanol is the other side of the discussion too. All beat to death with a bunch of corvette owners doing whatever they do (or don’t care about) for miles of smiles.

With the help of Gas Buddy I am able to quickly find that my 8 cent rebate at the COOP ... will at least save me the time spent in the Costco lineup. I sometimes notice people driving by this COOP looking at us filling up and likely thinking how stupid we are with it 5 cents cheaper up the road. All cool with what others do ... just thought I’d share my observation - not an attempt to advocate ... as saving money is what has allowed me to buy a Corvette and continuing to find savings is what allows me to keep it in the tougher times like now (along with stacking the potential of savings benefits by using Scotia GM, RBC Westjet or an Amex Airmiles Credit Card). 😁👍🏻
CC99D730-A948-4712-8D12-3DF4F6E2C13C.jpeg

(in YYC today ... nice prices 👍🏻)
If away from home in my Corvette, I will use any premium 91/94 fuel and prefer ethanol free.

Last edited:
Go to Davenport and buy some race fuel, add some of it to your tank.
Raises the octane to a more desirable level.
Cost is not a factor cuz it's a vette!
No waiting in line either.

I try to use 94 octane whenever possible in my Vettes and avoid price shopping. My daily driver gets Costco regular fuel quite often however. I go beginning or end of the day to avoid the crazy lineups. If not Costco, it gets Shell or Petrocan. The only time my daily drivers get premium is during severe cold temps in the winter for that extra kick on startup.

What about Ethanol blends as it has a higher octane rating ? Remember Sunoco? They had some crazy octane available at the pump!

Personally I avoid ethanol blended fuels.My car runs fine on non ethanol 91 and the very few times I can find non ethanol 94, I see zero difference in either performance or fuel mileage. Ethanol is not blended during production at the refineries either. It is added to the gasoline in the tanker at delivery time. That raises my eyebrows a little as well.... Here's a little eye opener on ethanol blended gas... there are lots of these out there... this guy has done a bunch of testing and I just don't like the results of any of them.....

My two cents worth again..... I use Costco 91 grade non ethanol because I believe it makes no difference to the operating system of the Corvette motor. I dont track the car or run it to see 0 - 60 results. BC has the highest fuel prices in North America and the saving between 91 and 94 can be between 7 and 10 cents per litre. For example today the 91 grade at Costco is only 1.52/litre.... thats a bargain here. Yes lineups can occur at the Costco gas stations, however, my average wait is definitely no more than 10mins.... solution to line ups... just dont go at peak times. I fully respect those who believe that Vettes should only be running 94, but, dont make it sound like we are penny pinchers or dont care about the cars we drive, because we do. Maybe, and its just a maybe, another factor is that usually, I do not keep my cars for more that 3 years. As such, I have never been exposed to an engine being 'ruined' by only using 91 grade...... one (good) thing is for certain, we all have opinions and we are not afraid to share them.... good discussions as usual!

My two cents worth again..... I use Costco 91 grade non ethanol because I believe it makes no difference to the operating system of the Corvette motor. I dont track the car or run it to see 0 - 60 results. BC has the highest fuel prices in North America and the saving between 91 and 94 can be between 7 and 10 cents per litre. For example today the 91 grade at Costco is only 1.52/litre.... thats a bargain here. Yes lineups can occur at the Costco gas stations, however, my average wait is definitely no more than 10mins.... solution to line ups... just dont go at peak times. I fully respect those who believe that Vettes should only be running 94, but, dont make it sound like we are penny pinchers or dont care about the cars we drive, because we do. Maybe, and its just a maybe, another factor is that usually, I do not keep my cars for more that 3 years. As such, I have never been exposed to an engine being 'ruined' by only using 91 grade...... one (good) thing is for certain, we all have opinions and we are not afraid to share them.... good discussions as usual!

The owners manual makes it very clear that 91 with up to 10% ethanol is fine for both the C7 Stingrays all the time, and the Z06 driving sensibly. I’m not sure about the ZR1s. Maybe someone can check and let us know what the LT5 requirements are.
I guess with price it comes down to convenience, personal choices and how much the car is actually driven throughout the year to realize the potential savings, which is hugely varied in our community of owners.

Whenever I've gone to fill my vette, it's always been after work. The lines at costco is like 6 cars at most per 3 pump line, meaning I am pumping gas within 4-5 mins as my longest wait. I mean if I had to wait 15-20 mins to fill up, maybe that's a problem, but in the past 5 years I don't think I've ever waited longer than that. If your costco is packed, I'd avoid filling it up, especially on weekends, but most weekdays, I find the costco to be empty or near empty on weekdays just after work.

Costco also does 2% cash back on my costco card for gas fuel ups. If I plan to race, I have a proper octane booster to bring it up to 97-98 octane. Best miileage I've gotten with my c7 z06 is 7.2l/100km @ 120kph which is fairly decent for a 650hp beast.

Personally, I've never used any but Costco 91 Octane premium. In my area, the 91 price at Costco is about $0.13 to $0.14 per litre average lower compared to the local Esso stations and Shell stations on premium 91 - although I have noticed some variance at times, from only $0.09 to $0.10 up to $0.15/litre. It seems that during the summer, the differential is larger possibly due to higher volumes of "fair weather cars" on the road.

Usually, the fill-up is 60 to 65 litres, which even at 13 cents per litre savings means quite a bit over my driving season....plus the 2% rebate on the Costco card. I figure that money in my pocket means more to me than feeding the bank accounts of the oil companies. I've also noted substantially lower gas prices outside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), which I take advantage of during trips - often 5 cents to 10 cents lower per litre.

I always time my visits to Costco - early in the morning on a weekend, or very late in the evening Monday through Friday just before the gas bar closes means I usually pull right up to the pumps, no line ups/no waiting at all.

LLC

Once a month I get a gas discount after our big monthly grocery shop. After paying $250 For $300 in groceries at Safeway on 15% Tuesday ... pulled up in my near empty Sierra and this is my gas price ... fill ‘er up ... 😁👍🏻👍🏻
186D7BB9-6B1B-4463-A997-36156CF40E45.jpeg

Once a month I get a gas discount after our big monthly grocery shop. After paying $250 For $300 in groceries at Safeway on 15% Tuesday ... pulled up in my near empty Sierra and this is my gas price ... fill ‘er up ... 😁👍🏻👍🏻
View attachment 36814
Gas is so much cheaper there - by a lot, than where I live here in Van.. Crazy!!!

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
Gas is so much cheaper there - by a lot, than where I live here in Van.. Crazy!!!
Ya we “grow” the stuff here and are sadly troubled trying to get it to other markets.
I sure do see the difference when I travel west ... gonna see how it is in Northern BC and the Yukon this Summer ... although I might just be able to see it on gas buddy. Nearly 10% unemployment here still makes it tough to by fuel even at 80 cents.

Ya we “grow” the stuff here and are sadly troubled trying to get it to other markets.
I sure do see the difference when I travel west ... gonna see how it is in Northern BC and the Yukon this Summer ... although I might just be able to see it on gas buddy. Nearly 10% unemployment here still makes it tough to by fuel even at 80 cents.
So, the economy is still in the shitter in AB? It is terrible what is happening: the economy should be booming if we had pipelines west, south and east to the coast of Canada vs importing our oil from other countries. Gas $1.59 my last purchase of Shell 91 for my vette. :Cheers2:

my discount was 12 cents so gas is that much higher across the numbers you see in the photo. Small win for one tank full. But yes much cheaper than other provinces.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.