May 4, 2021
Ottawa
VetteCoins
Car
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Province
ON
BLUF: Not new to owning fun sports cars, but very new to the whole Corvette world and C8 experience. Just venting and need encouragement.

Good day all, First, thank you very much for allowing me to join this wonderful and informative Forum, I've learned a LOT already. I've been lurking here for a week or so, educating myself on all things that are C8. I've been watching a LOT of YouTube videos for the last year, and recently, watching a lot of Morgan Crosbie on his YT channel to familiarize myself on the whole Chevrolet ordering (and waiting) process. It has been very helpful helping understand Chevy's allocation process and although new to the brand, I've been a long time Ford customer and am familiar with allocations and constraints and manufacturer issues and letdowns (past Shelby owner and future Bronco owner....). I get it to some extent. Anyway, onto the reason for this post;
I live in Ottawa (recently retired Military, still a Government contractor for DND though), and have purchased most of my vehicles (currently have 3 Fords in my garage, don't hate me.... LOL) from the same dealer in Ottawa and they have treated us VERY well as what they refer to as "VIP" status, but, I'm sure most dealers say that, but, for what its worth, they reward my loyalty and I don't feel like a "number" with them at all. I've have spoken directly with my Dealer principal and told her my intentions with regards to possibly "straying" from the brand with my next purchase as the GT350 is now discontinued and the GT500 is overhyped and way overpriced for what it is. She owns around 15 dealerships in the Eastern Ontario region and totally gets why I'm looking at C8 and thinks its a great car. She directed me to a Chevy dealer she owns only 35 minutes from me (Smith Falls). The general manager is her nephew, and reached out to me and we spoke at length on the process and what their past Corvette sales were like, etc, etc. They have been around for a long while and have always sold Corvettes, but, not many C8's. Last year they only sold 3 C8's, the last 2021 model is currently on its way to them now. The manager hopes to at least get that many for 2022, and he confirmed that I would be 4 on the waiting list for new allocations. He also didn't want/need a deposit from me until he got an allocation and we actually placed an order, which I respect and appreciate. He has been very open and honest about the whole process and explained everything and was very transparent. They will sell at MSRP and only have a $895 dealer/processing fee, that's it. Even though I have not dealt with them yet, the brief interaction and experience makes me comfortable doing any future business with them. Of course, I sent him my build on got on the "list" and he promised to keep me informed as things progress, now, he did say something that I found odd and a bit confusing: He reiterated this on the phone a few times and again in his follow up email with me. Even though there is 3 people on his list ahead of me, he said they are "very particular" about their builds and will not compromise or substitute at all from that build. He said this because he mentioned that he may have to "skip over" them based on that and I may get an allocation ahead of them since I'm "only" building a 1LT with minimal options. I didn't say anything to him, but, I thought to myself, "well, of course they want a specific build, who wouldn't? I mean, anyone ordering and waiting a long time for a specific car is waiting for a good reason, right?" I don't see how I could get my build before them, I mean, unless they have some very rare and strange override requests and BG puts some constraints on those items, etc. etc. Maybe he knows more than he lets on. I just found it strange he mentioned that. Does that make sense to you? Maybe because they only got a couple of C8 allocations for 2021 and he didn't want me to be discouraged being number 4 on the wait list, who knows.

I really want to give them my business and staying "local" is always nice and I want to build that relationship like I have with my current Ford dealer. However, and I am not in a rush since I want to pay off my current 2019 Mustang before jumping into a new car again (will be finished by May 22), so, waiting for a year or longer is perfect for me anyway. But, I also don't want to be waiting for years for a car that may never materialize, and I know from reading this forum, many of you have been is this similar situation as well. It's the "million dollar" question we all have. Will I get an allocation and if so, when. It's hardly unique or new. I guess, I'm asking what would you do? I can contact Andrew at Bill Spencer in Cobourg, and from what I've seen in my research on here, have a somewhat decent chance of getting a 2022 model if I get on his list soon (maybe). At least I would find out later this year if it was a real chance or not with Bill Spencer before I waited a whole year just to be let down. At this point, getting a C8 is just "pipe dream" for me, especially getting one at MSRP that I can actually afford. This would be a big step up for me from my current cars. I am overthinking this, or, should I get on two waiting lists and see what happens? Would Andrew want a deposit from me before even knowing if I would get a 22 allocation? I guess, I need to have a chat with him. Thanks guys. My apologies for the long winded email, just an old man (51) who never thought he would ever be able to own such an amazing car and I'm venting...... LOL

I contacted the deal in Smith Falls and was willing to put a deposit down for a C8 Z06, the sales person needed to check with the manager and never got back to me....

Reactions: pozi240
$895 dealer/processing fee is very high, Cullen charges $249 and they get the most allocations
Really? I see most dealers charging around $1k or even a bit more, including the "big three" mentioned on here. I know most of the fee is bs, and total profit, but, it seems to be the "price to play" with dealers lately. Even on regular car purchases.. Interesting indeed.

My guess is that the Smiths Falls dealer is simply inferring constraints and that they may decide to wait which means you'd go ahead.

Being number 4 when they sell 3 a year implies you could get an end of '22 vehicle or the first '23 which would be about 12-15 months from now. If your ok with that then by all means stick with them.

Spencers will require a deposit, I believe 5k, to just wait for an allocation. If you aren't in a hurry I see no reason why you shouldn't stick with your current dealer and you may get lucky on an earlier allocation.

I'm getting my C8 from Kingston and I got on the list in January at number 5 and they sell 5 a year. I got an allocation in March because 3 people backed out in front of me.

At worst you'll get a car end of summer in '22 at best you could get a '22 this time next year if people pull out.

That being said you can get on multiple lists with refundable deposits if you want to and see who gets you a car first.

Reactions: pozi240
Since you did not have to put anything down why not put a deposit down with one of the big three dealers in the east. That way you have two chances.
I did and once I got my allocation I received my down payment back promptly from the dealer that did not get the earlier allocation. I was up front about with both dealerships. They are fine with it. Ultimately the large volume dealer won out. Good luck from another old Ford guy.
They really need to get there head out of the sand and redesign that Mustang and I am not talking putting a electric motor in it and turning it into a crossover.

They really need to get there head out of the sand and redesign that Mustang and I am not talking putting a electric motor in it and turning it into a crossover.
It's coming, supposedly. They were originally supposed to release the new S650 platform Mustang next year based on the CD6 architecture (new Explorer and Aviator) which would be a radical redesign, but, because of recent events in the world, the new S650 is delayed until 2023 (as a 24 model most likely) and will still be based on the current platform. So, nothing too radical, except drivetrains of course. I agree with you though. We're on our 4th Mustang (not including the Shelby), and it's getting a bit stale design wise, especially the interiors.... LOL

Reactions: GreenTurtle2C8
I agree it's strange you're told your C8 could get an allocation ahead of the others first on the list. My understanding is that the type of build doesn't impact the allocation to the dealer, only when the car will be built based upon how it's slotted into the production line by the Bowling Green gurus. So that raises a red flag: if others might be treated that way by this dealer, could the same happen to you?

I'd ask this dealer what happens to the list, if others drop off for financial or other reasons. Some dealers will bring the car in for themselves and sell it for a profit, rather than give the spot on the list to the next person. As well, it's nice to maintain your loyalty to a dealer who's treated you well over the years but this new dealership is a separate entity and relying upon the "nephew" to act the same way as his "aunt" may never pan out. And then there's the comment by Nimm which may tell you what to expect from this dealer although I'd suggest you also check out Web reviews.

Regardless, I agree with GreenTurtle2C8: you have no deposit with this dealer. If you're really looking to get an allocation in the next year or so, you'll have a much better chance being on a second list and with a dealer who gets lots of allocations. Best to call and find out allocation numbers and where you'd be on their list, then choose the best one. Any deposit will be refundable until you place your order.

They're likely not super close to you but we have 2 Ontario dealer sponsors on these Forums who would be good to deal with: Bill Spencer Chevrolet and Wilson-Niblett Motors. You might want to contact them. If one of them gets your C8 allocation, it would be worth the drive. Good luck!

Really? I see most dealers charging around $1k or even a bit more, including the "big three" mentioned on here. I know most of the fee is bs, and total profit, but, it seems to be the "price to play" with dealers lately. Even on regular car purchases.. Interesting indeed.
I think I paid $649. Dealership was great to me. No regrets...

Reactions: CorvetteSuperCar
So.....I too got on the list at the Smiths Falls dealership back in January 2020. Left that dealership and went directly to Carleton Place dealer, and got on the list there as well. Never ever heard back from Smiths Falls dealership. I have nothing but good things to say about Bean Chevrolet, and Jim Whitmarsh, their Sales Manager whom I dealt with.
Received my car early April. I cannot stress what a great experience I had at Beans. They kept me informed of how many allocations, where I stood on the list, and no deposit. They also allowed me a courtesy trade for both my 1965 & 2015 vettes. Saved a pile in taxes, and both buyers I found had a pleasant experience with them.
All on a hand shake (elbow bump).
Just my 2 cents.

So.....I too got on the list at the Smiths Falls dealership back in January 2020. Left that dealership and went directly to Carleton Place dealer, and got on the list there as well. Never ever heard back from Smiths Falls dealership. I have nothing but good things to say about Bean Chevrolet, and Jim Whitmarsh, their Sales Manager whom I dealt with.
Received my car early April. I cannot stress what a great experience I had at Beans. They kept me informed of how many allocations, where I stood on the list, and no deposit. They also allowed me a courtesy trade for both my 1965 & 2015 vettes. Saved a pile in taxes, and both buyers I found had a pleasant experience with them.
All on a hand shake (elbow bump).
Just my 2 cents.
Thank you so much, this is great information. :)

Reactions: AndrewJ
I just recently pulled my deposit from Barry Cullen as I was number 42 on there list. I think last year they received 10-15 C8's. A friend of mine has been on the list since sometime last year ( on the list for over a year now ). He started at 36 and is now 15 sooooooo. I then contacted Brian Cullen, put down there deposit $2500. They said that I was number 215 on there list. That being said they have received 99 cars either delivered or currently in the build process. They are expecting to get to 140ish on the list for 2021 builds. They said I would receive my car in the spring. Looking at other members that has placed there orders there the time line seems to add up. Spencers wanted a $2500 deposit as well and I was told a car in 22. I contacted Wilson - Nibbet and was told I wouldn't get a 22 it would be a 23. Of course this is all subject to change, as the times we are currently in are unpredictable at best. Also if the chip shortages and possible rubber shortages occur they could impact the C8 production. I don't believe any dealer is going to 100% commit to a specific time. In my opinion the dealers are giving there best educated guess based on previous allocations.

Thank you everyone for your input. I went with the general consensus on here, I put a deposit down today with Bill Spencer. I'm 119 on the list, however, there is 44 allocated orders already on that list, so, it looks somewhat promising for a '22 allocation. Fingers crossed. :) . Now the waiting game, but, I'm uniquely qualified in that area. 24 years of military training of "hurry and up and wait" has made me very patient overall. LOL

Thank you everyone for your input. I went with the general consensus on here, I put a deposit down today with Bill Spencer. I'm 119 on the list, however, there is 44 allocated orders already on that list, so, it looks somewhat promising for a '22 allocation. Fingers crossed. :) . Now the waiting game, but, I'm uniquely qualified in that area. 24 years of military training of "hurry and up and wait" has made me very patient overall. LOL
I think you made the right choice

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Just got an email update from Spencer's, I was wrong, I'm only 109 on the list, confirmation sent back with my deposit receipt, then minus the 44 ordered or allocated 21 builds yet to arrive. 2022 is looking good, but, I'm certainly in no rush, next summer is more than fine with me, perfect actually. Who knows, we may actually be able to travel down south across the border again by then.... .. LOL. Yeah, I know, I kid.

Reactions: 12cents
Just got an email update from Spencer's, I was wrong, I'm only 109 on the list, confirmation sent back with my deposit receipt, then minus the 44 ordered or allocated 21 builds yet to arrive. 2022 is looking good, but, I'm certainly in no rush, next summer is more than fine with me, perfect actually. Who knows, we may actually be able to travel down south across the border again by then.... .. LOL. Yeah, I know, I kid.
The 44 number seems to have not changed since March. Not sure if they are getting any more allocations for 2021. Lets see. I am 99 on their list.

The 44 number seems to have not changed since March. Not sure if they are getting any more allocations for 2021. Lets see. I am 99 on their list.
And it won't change until those 44 are actually delivered, that is how it works. Keep in mind, there is LOTS of folks who have been at 3000 status since March and even Feb. I heard from Andrew that they got 2 more allocations in May, haven't heard if they got any more for June yet. But, every dealer (even the big ones in the US) got a small fraction of the usual allocation for May/June. Nothing to worry about. Its all good.

Reactions: Shiraz
And it won't change until those 44 are actually delivered, that is how it works. Keep in mind, there is LOTS of folks who have been at 3000 status since March and even Feb. I heard from Andrew that they got 2 more allocations in May, haven't heard if they got any more for June yet. But, every dealer (even the big ones in the US) got a small fraction of the usual allocation for May/June. Nothing to worry about. Its all good.
I wonder if the small allocations is due to production number or because it's now sold worldwide and more cars are going overseas...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.