Dec 6, 2017
Sechelt, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2010 C6 base
Just got home with my new [to me] 2010 M/T base model. Wild ride home from Vancouver through pouring rain at night in a powerful and unfamiliar car. Love everything about the car including the exhaust note but it's too much for my wife who has tinnitis. I did a quick search for stock [non NPP] C6 exhausts and immediately realized I needed answers to the following:

Are the LS2 and LS3 exhaust systems interchangeable from the cat back?
Does the Z51 package have a different exhaust?
Does it matter whether it has an auto or manual transmission?

I found a few used stock systems online in the States but nobody seems to want the hassle of shipping them.

Are there wrecking yards specializing in Corvette parts in the Lower Mainland or Western Washington?

Thanks for any answers or suggestions.

Just got home with my new [to me] 2010 M/T base model. Wild ride home from Vancouver through pouring rain at night in a powerful and unfamiliar car. Love everything about the car including the exhaust note but it's too much for my wife who has tinnitis. I did a quick search for stock [non NPP] C6 exhausts and immediately realized I needed answers to the following:

I found a few used stock systems online in the States but nobody seems to want the hassle of shipping them.

Are there wrecking yards specializing in Corvette parts in the Lower Mainland or Western Washington?

You will very likely be making a deal and swap with someone near you real soon with that request.
It’s normally the other way around.

The ride home sounds a bit exciting but in a few months on those warm roads it will be the other kind of exciting.

Hope you find the exhaust system. :)

Derek

Canuckster.. congrats to you both on your new ride.

You may wish to entertain another solution to your issue,
You could use a DynaMat type of foil/insulating product under the carpet in the whole car.
This will stifle the noise somewhat as well as reduce the exhaust heat entering the interior cabin.
It also seems to stop a lot of rattles and creaks in the interior as well.
This product can be installed by the owner or done at a shop.
Take a look at that solution.
My ‘03 Convert is totally done and it helps a bunch.. and I run CORSA Extreme/Tiger exhaust.

Derek is probably correct in that you may find someone willing to swap your exhaust for a stock set-up.
Good luck.
Graham

If you go somewhere like gmpartsdirect.com that has some of the parts layouts, you can see which options affect the parts. In 2010 there are mufflers shown for left/right, and for performance exhaust and without (for a base model Corvette).

Since I have some '05 mufflers for sale right now, I did a quick search and found my '05 mufflers are a different part number, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't the same. If you want them send me a PM, I don't want too much, but shipping may cost a bit from Toronto area.

Curious canuckster if the sound bothers your wife all the time in the car or just at certain rpm/speeds? I am thinking that Graham's idea of the Dyna Mat might be the first consideration to dampen the noise. It would be frustrating to go through the efforts of an exhaust swap only to find the problem is still there for her. The stock exhaust is not exactly quiet either.

Derek is right somebody, likely on here, would jump at that swap opportunity.

Congrats on your purchase. I will admit after owning my car for 13 years that I like driving it in the rain. I won't leave if it is raining but if I get caught up in it no big deal. Just watch for water pooling on the road and drive with some caution. I find it is a comfortable car to be in when it does rain. Cocoon like if you will.

Good luck and please let us know the outcome.:thumbs:

Good Day Canuckster.

I have a tiny bit of info for you.

To my knowledge (which is limited) the Z51 6.3 came standard with a performance exhaust, with operable valves in two of the tips for changing the tone in performance mode.

I changed my 2009 M/T base Coupe to the Corsa exhaust. Corsa spec's a different part number for the 6.2 than the 6.3 and the box specifically identified it as for the 6.3. Whether it is an auto or a manual does not affect the exhaust. I kept the Corsa when I sold the car and re-sold it. It went to another good home in a 6.3 with an A/T. I was told during the selling process that with a bit of fabrication, a decent muffler shop could have fit the exhaust to a 6.2 but to be honest, it wouldn't be an avenue I would take. As stated before here, I don't think you will have any trouble trading your exhaust. That is a no brainer for anyone with a 6.3. Bump your message count up to 10 messages and the system will let you post your exhaust in the classified section here on the forum. Good Luck, but I don't think you need any....lol...

Reactions: ddgermann
Some good advice Eric.
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm still weighing my options but now have more info to make a decision.
I'm familiar with Dynamat, having done a whole tdi Vanagon with it. Can't hurt to try.
I was hoping the stock exhaust would be noticeably quieter inside than the Corsa, especially under load under 2500 rpms.
So many reviews seem to complain about how quiet the factory exhaust is, I figured it might be the answer. No other C6's around here to compare the noise levels.

I had terrible drone with my C5..I installed 2 resonators for about $150 and took care of it.. Went to Muffler Shop for the install.

I replaced the Corsa's with some inexpensive used stock mufflers and boy are they quiet! Great for the wife and cruising the freeway but I really miss winding up through the gears with the Corsa's.
I think I'll eventually go with the NPP's and M2W remote to get the best of both worlds. Can anyone tell me if the NPP [when open] is similar in sound to the Corsa? When closed is it as quiet as the stock mufflers?
Thanks for your input.
Michael

I had the MTW on my C6Z and it was quite quiet when closed but if I remember right all he** broke loose at 3500 RPM when they opened automatically. Possibly you can disconnect that feature.
Glad you’re happy with the quieter sound.

D

I must be getting old or always was. I've never had a loud exhaust on any of my musclecars over the years and our '05 Corvette has the stock exhaust. The biggest danger with aftermarket exhaust is that some have poor sound engineering and drone at certain rpms and usually right where you want to cruise. THAT gets old real fast. I find, above 4500, the engine makes all the sweet sounds that I am looking for with stock exhaust. Cruising, I like the quiet exhaust. I need to install the dynamat to get rid of the road noise from the tires so that I can enjoy the Bose sound system.

Last edited:
Cant remember where I bought them....have a look on ebay...1 in resonators stainless steel..they installed them close to the mufflers at the back so they would not hit bottom..They worked perfectly.

Reactions: Colleptic Corvette
I replaced the Corsa's with some inexpensive used stock mufflers and boy are they quiet! Great for the wife and cruising the freeway but I really miss winding up through the gears with the Corsa's.
I think I'll eventually go with the NPP's and M2W remote to get the best of both worlds. Can anyone tell me if the NPP [when open] is similar in sound to the Corsa? When closed is it as quiet as the stock mufflers?
Thanks for your input.
Michael

Michael, I think the Corsa Sport is similar to the NPP with valves open, maybe just a bit louder, though the Corsa doesn't have drone and the NPP valve open does from what I've been reading recently. The Corsa Extreme would definitely be louder but with no drone.

Did you end up selling or trading the Corsas? I just got my 05 C6 a couple weeks ago with stock mufflers, and am looking for something like the Corsa so might be interested if you still have them.

so that I can enjoy the Bose sound system.
Enjoying the Bose...lol...taking out the Bose and driving over all of the parts would be an improvement. :) But seriously, dynamat or other sound insulation would certainly help any system by cutting down the road noise along with tightening up the doors to deal with vibrations, standing waves, and other issues in the doors, and am giving serious consideration of doing that myself before I take out the Bose and back over it. I've faded mine forward which helps increase the clarity as well as the stereo separation since the rear speakers are mono (face to palm) and sound pretty muddy compared to the front. I then disconnected the center channel speaker which further clears things up as well as improves the stereo image (face to palm again), so would recommend trying both of those as well.

I recently installed a 'BlockIt' mass loaded vinyl pad in the hatch area and it made a noticeable difference in road/tire noise. I'm hoping it will help to appease the wife when I reinstall the Corsa Sport mufflers, this time with the LS3 'Touring Conversion' H pipe and extra mufflers that attach to the cats. This is different from the LS2 'Touring Conversion' which is just a replacement mid pipe with long skinny resonators. Very little info on the LS 3 Corsa system except for one thread here:
Corsa "Touring" Installed..long - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion
It sounds like it would fit my needs better than the NPP which I couldn't open up with the wife in the car and she always rides with me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread