Corsa sport to stock exhaust questions

Discussion in 'C6 Forum' started by canuckster, Jan 20, 2018.

1. canuckster

canuckster New Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2010 C6 base
    Just got home with my new [to me] 2010 M/T base model. Wild ride home from Vancouver through pouring rain at night in a powerful and unfamiliar car. Love everything about the car including the exhaust note but it's too much for my wife who has tinnitis. I did a quick search for stock [non NPP] C6 exhausts and immediately realized I needed answers to the following:

Are the LS2 and LS3 exhaust systems interchangeable from the cat back?
    Does the Z51 package have a different exhaust?
    Does it matter whether it has an auto or manual transmission?

I found a few used stock systems online in the States but nobody seems to want the hassle of shipping them.

Are there wrecking yards specializing in Corvette parts in the Lower Mainland or Western Washington?

Thanks for any answers or suggestions.

2. ddgermann

ddgermann High RPM Poster

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2017 3LZ Z06 Z07
    You will very likely be making a deal and swap with someone near you real soon with that request.
    It’s normally the other way around.

The ride home sounds a bit exciting but in a few months on those warm roads it will be the other kind of exciting.

Hope you find the exhaust system. :)

Derek

3. nascar03

nascar03 High RPM Poster

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    1975 coupe/2003 vert
    Map
    Canuckster.. congrats to you both on your new ride.

You may wish to entertain another solution to your issue,
    You could use a DynaMat type of foil/insulating product under the carpet in the whole car.
    This will stifle the noise somewhat as well as reduce the exhaust heat entering the interior cabin.
    It also seems to stop a lot of rattles and creaks in the interior as well.
    This product can be installed by the owner or done at a shop.
    Take a look at that solution.
    My ‘03 Convert is totally done and it helps a bunch.. and I run CORSA Extreme/Tiger exhaust.

Derek is probably correct in that you may find someone willing to swap your exhaust for a stock set-up.
    Good luck.
    Graham

4. G-ForceJunkie

G-ForceJunkie Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    '17 Z51
    If you go somewhere like gmpartsdirect.com that has some of the parts layouts, you can see which options affect the parts. In 2010 there are mufflers shown for left/right, and for performance exhaust and without (for a base model Corvette).

Since I have some '05 mufflers for sale right now, I did a quick search and found my '05 mufflers are a different part number, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't the same. If you want them send me a PM, I don't want too much, but shipping may cost a bit from Toronto area.

5. Black 03 Z06

Black 03 Z06 High RPM Poster

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2003 Z06
    Curious canuckster if the sound bothers your wife all the time in the car or just at certain rpm/speeds? I am thinking that Graham's idea of the Dyna Mat might be the first consideration to dampen the noise. It would be frustrating to go through the efforts of an exhaust swap only to find the problem is still there for her. The stock exhaust is not exactly quiet either.

Derek is right somebody, likely on here, would jump at that swap opportunity.

Congrats on your purchase. I will admit after owning my car for 13 years that I like driving it in the rain. I won't leave if it is raining but if I get caught up in it no big deal. Just watch for water pooling on the road and drive with some caution. I find it is a comfortable car to be in when it does rain. Cocoon like if you will.

Good luck and please let us know the outcome.:thumbs:

MikeysZ06 and vintageracer like this.
  6. Rruuff Day

Rruuff Day
    Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2015 C7 3LT ZF1
    Map
    Good Day Canuckster.

I have a tiny bit of info for you.

To my knowledge (which is limited) the Z51 6.3 came standard with a performance exhaust, with operable valves in two of the tips for changing the tone in performance mode.

I changed my 2009 M/T base Coupe to the Corsa exhaust. Corsa spec's a different part number for the 6.2 than the 6.3 and the box specifically identified it as for the 6.3. Whether it is an auto or a manual does not affect the exhaust. I kept the Corsa when I sold the car and re-sold it. It went to another good home in a 6.3 with an A/T. I was told during the selling process that with a bit of fabrication, a decent muffler shop could have fit the exhaust to a 6.2 but to be honest, it wouldn't be an avenue I would take. As stated before here, I don't think you will have any trouble trading your exhaust. That is a no brainer for anyone with a 6.3. Bump your message count up to 10 messages and the system will let you post your exhaust in the classified section here on the forum. Good Luck, but I don't think you need any....lol...

ddgermann likes this.
  7. Black 03 Z06

Black 03 Z06 High RPM Poster

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2003 Z06
    Some good advice Eric.

8. canuckster

canuckster New Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2010 C6 base
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm still weighing my options but now have more info to make a decision.
    I'm familiar with Dynamat, having done a whole tdi Vanagon with it. Can't hurt to try.
    I was hoping the stock exhaust would be noticeably quieter inside than the Corsa, especially under load under 2500 rpms.
    So many reviews seem to complain about how quiet the factory exhaust is, I figured it might be the answer. No other C6's around here to compare the noise levels.

9. nascar03

nascar03 High RPM Poster

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    1975 coupe/2003 vert
    Map
    Maybe find a C6 for sale at a nearby dealer and try it out for noise level before you do anything.

Graham

10. MikeysZ06

MikeysZ06 High RPM Poster

Featured Threads:
    And,the amount of water spray coming off the rear tires keeps the tailgaters back as well. I’ve noticed that in my travels in the wet.

Black 03 Z06 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted