May 3, 2018
Aurora
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Stingray
So - I've done a lot of searching through the forum(s) for information on the need for a catch can to prevent oil carbonization on valves on C7's. After plodding through many, many posts, it seemed to me that most of the recommendations focused on putting them on C7's which had dry sump systems and/or blowers. If this is a duplicate/redundant question, oops!, but I couldn't find the answer in the previous posts I reviewed.

A good friend with a Camaro SS 6.2 litre insists that a catch can should be installed on ANY direct injection engine. I did look at his, and it seems to be a pretty clean install, fairly easily done.

I have a 2019 1LT Stingray, the base model. My first Corvette, and my "baby". Do I need one of these units? I'm not averse to any cost of putting one on, but if I don't need it I'd rather spend my coin on other toys for it.

Thanks,

L.L.C.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
LLC, this catch can thing is tuner hype in the opinion of many. GM states it is not required and with a 100,000 km warranty, they are not paying out engines on this alleged valve damage. So after 6 production years, of the C7s running all over the place, I tend to believe them. GM says oil will pool in front of the MAS and the intake system is designed for this. Some GM guys say for a regularly tracked or a car running at high engine loads and RPM most of the time, maybe a catch can be a benefit. But for me and likey 95% of Corvette drivers; its a gimmick and just another thing to be serviced.
With what I have read on this, I do not plan on getting one. If you do decide to install one, it won't hurt anything. :thumbs:

So - I've done a lot of searching through the forum(s) for information on the need for a catch can to prevent oil carbonization on valves on C7's. After plodding through many, many posts, it seemed to me that most of the recommendations focused on putting them on C7's which had dry sump systems and/or blowers. If this is a duplicate/redundant question, oops!, but I couldn't find the answer in the previous posts I reviewed.

A good friend with a Camaro SS 6.2 litre insists that a catch can should be installed on ANY direct injection engine. I did look at his, and it seems to be a pretty clean install, fairly easily done.

I have a 2019 1LT Stingray, the base model. My first Corvette, and my "baby". Do I need one of these units? I'm not averse to any cost of putting one on, but if I don't need it I'd rather spend my coin on other toys for it.

Thanks,

L.L.C.

As per above you do not NEED one at all. It's another thing to maintain, remove/replace in case of big warranty work etc. Personally would not bother.

Reactions: ddgermann
I thought of installing one myself for quite some time, but after removing my air intake tube from the throttle body a few times, I have seen no sign of any oil residue. I realize the effects of direct injection scenario on the valves, but I will take my chances. I think if there were more devestating problems related to it after all these years you would hear about it more than you do.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
Thanks, all. You confirmed my suspicions about hyped product - I can see the TV commercial now - "But wait, if you order in the next 10 minutes, we'll send you a second Catch Can absolutely FREE - just pay a separate fee"

I think I'll put the money towards something useful, like maybe a set of 4 mud flaps with Yosemite Sam on them (NOT!).

LLC

Thanks, all. You confirmed my suspicions about hyped product - I can see the TV commercial now - "But wait, if you order in the next 10 minutes, we'll send you a second Catch Can absolutely FREE - just pay a separate fee"

I think I'll put the money towards something useful, like maybe a set of 4 mud flaps with Yosemite Sam on them (NOT!).

LLC
Only consider the Yosemite Sam with the "Back Off" warning... otherwise, go for the Woody Woodpecker

ccrp_0906_03_z-classic_car_decals-.jpg