Good morning Riley,

Well I do appreciate you making me sound sane, you are one crazy guy to tackle biking in that temperature! I've been outside when it was below -40 but I don't recall the wind that day. But I'm sure you'd agree that the experience is very refreshing and sure lets you know you're alive and as you say, bragging rights are nice to have too.

I recall that week we took the batteries out of the trucks, placed them in warm water, battery charger on them and then hooked two together to get a truck started to go to town to get groceries!! Fun times indeed.

Oh do I suffer in the heat owas well, or perhaps suffered anyway. 20 above is good, 25 is about as high as I'd like it and those consecutive days of 30 to 35 were very hard on me.

My house is now 2 degrees warmer than it used to be and I am still cold even with fleece clothing on. But that is a small price to pay. I can always wear more clothing in the winter, I reach a state of undress in the summer after whcih I'd get arrested.

That is the really nice thing about exercising. It gets easier the longer you do it and it actually gives you more energy than it uses. I liken it to an airplane, lots of fuel burned to get you to a higher altitude but once you are there you can throttle back and maintain that altitude without burning as much fuel.

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning,

Still 204 (no surprise) but my longest non-stop run post surgery, 5.31 km. I could have gone further but it was -20 and the way out was into a 8 km breeze so it got a bit cool. Pace was satisfactory, not for racing but for a retraining ex-runner.

Cheers,

Garry

5.31 km's is great! Nice run! Funny, it's currently -37 here without the wind and feels like -48 with the wind but it's going up to -4 by Saturday!? This has been the craziest winter with the temperature going straight from single digits to the minus thirties and back and forth with not much between!

Good morning Riley,

I did feel good as it was a full 1 km bump up. But I was pretty excited with the news of the dyno run coming on and so was well motivated to help mark the day by going over the 5 km mark. Make the day all the sweeter.

Need more CO2 from Z06's burning fuel I guess.

Yes, that is a temperature that is not much fun to be out in. It is much nicer here right now, -20 and also due to get warmer for the next five days. -6 to -16 range which is down right comfortable.........

Off to see if the railcars arrived finally. Nice that they were not here when it was so cold though, when I was looking at the long-range forecasts it was unsettling.

Cheers,

Garry

This is great stuff guys. My training has been on brief hiatas as we have a killer stomach virus going around in our household. Hoping to be able to do a run or 2 on the weekend.:mad:

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Good evening LSXtasy,

I hope that the weather will be nice for you this weekend then!

I ran a short stretch when I was waiting to get my son this afternoon. I'm always amazed at these parents that like arrive 30 minutes beforehand to pick up their children and then sit in their vehicles, with the engines running and texting away. I often wonder whose life is really that interesting. Why not get out and get some exercise, set an example and lets say some of these parents could use a little exercise. Oh heck some of them could use the surgery.........!

So there is a nice 1.6 km stretch that goes west from the school and then comes back that I like to walk and I decided to run it this time. While it is not that long a distance I made more of an effort and got my pace below 6 min. But for the second time I was intercepted by these two pug type dogs that follwed me to 5 or 600 M and barked and niped at me which slowed me down. I think when I do this again I'm going to bring my bear spray with me. As this is not the 1st time people need to be responsible with their pets instead of letting them run around off leash........

Cheers,

Garry

Very true statements on the "idle" time. As far as the dogs are concerned you have every right to protect yourself no matter what size of dog. I'm a dog owner, and I totally understand where you are coming from. Most people think that since they own a small dog that snarling and other aggressive behaviour is "cute" because they're little. It's NOT! If my 80 plus pound Rotti/Husky (Rusky, lol!) Was doing the same thing or even off leash, I would have by-law and the Humane Society breathing down my neck with the fines to go with it. Bring the spray next time.

Good evening LSXtasy,

What is a disappointment is my thinking that it can not be that these dogs were only out twice and at the times I was on the street myself. That instead it is that they are out running around all the time.

There is also a safety issue for me since I am not too interested in being tripped by someone's unrestrained dog when I was doing my first speed run.

For me it is a case of if you have a pet, you need to be responsible.

My parents, for example, are sort of wierd cat types. The rescued 7 of them from my uncle as the mother had six kittens right at the onset of winter as he wouldn't have looked after them.

Well they ended up taking in another mother a few months ago who got or was pregnant at the time and had 4 kittens. They took them to have them fixed - $800 later! Being responsbile is not cheap but if you can't afford that then you have to reconsider your desire to be a pet owner........

Small sharp teeth can hurt worse than large blunt ones too.

Cheers,

Garry

Can't agree with you more! People with pets really do need to be responsible. Man, I love Rotties. I grew up with a couple and they were deadly smart. I find Rotties are giant sucks wrapped in bear clothing. The funniest thing that ever happened was when I was walking my Dane and my roommates Dane, we were walking past a house and their two dogs were going NUTS in their front yard. The one made it over the 2 ft fence and when it realized the size of my two dogs, it's look on it's face was priceless! If it had pants, it would have peed them. I was holding my two dogs back as I didn't need to deal with returning strings back to the owner and my dogs were relatively calm but if that dog was still aggressive when it got over the fence I would have just let mine go to not get myself tangled up. Man, I miss my boy. I can't wait to get another Dane in a couple years.

I can't agree more about the misconception about small dogs acting aggressive being "cute". At the dog park, when their dog is being a terror, they thing it's funny. When my dog reacts, then it's a dangerous animal?

Yup. Couldn't agree more with all your statements. I've owned 2 Rottis and my Rusky and I love the breed. Bad stigma with the breed which can be very frustrating as an owner. Danes are a nice breed too. Love the large breeds in general.

Good morning,

Well that took six days to lose the last pound, now 203. Reality is now setting in that I'll be at my target weight range in 13 to 23 lbs. When I lost weight back in early 2008 I hit 199 for one day and back in 1999 I hit 189 again for one day so it will be nice to be in a weight I have spent so little time at!

I really have not given it much thought at all, to try to hold at 190 or to go for 180......it will depend on how I feel at that weight. I feel very good right now so it is again just a numbers game. Emotionally being actually below 200 would be an emotional boost but would not make any difference in how I am feeling or looking physically.

Likewise my gf is 1 lb away from the weight she was 2 years ago when we met so there is excitement all around.

Loading railcars possibly today or Thursday, we never seem to know what day they arrive but the weather will be pretty nice by the looks of the forecast.

And life continues to be so good for me!

Cheers,

Garry

That is great Garry!!!! Hitting under 200 would be awesome! Just don't go crazy and celebrate with too much cake and ice cream!:rofl: That is great news about your gf! Tell her we are rooting for her!

With the amount of food you eat, how do you find your energy level? Lots of stamina during the day or do you get tired out? Do you recover pretty quickly if you're sore? Like after you run, are you still good to keep doing stuff or do you need a break? (I know I would need a break after a 5 km run and I am eating a lot compared to you!:rofl:)

As for myself, the weight still is not peeling off. I've cut my portions down a bit but am still over eating. Stepped on the scale with no real results despite my wife thinking that I look like I am losing weight. But it is funny, the other day when I had my arm in front of me, something caught my eye. There is a little bump on the back of it that I never had before.....then I checked the other one and there was a bump on the back of the other one! Turns out my muscles are growing!:rofl:

Good morning Riley,

Oh be careful talking about finding bumps to an ex-cancer patient! My heart heaved until I finished reading the whole posting!!!!!!

I've heard the "story" that while you may not be losing weight, you may be adding muscle and as muscle is much more dense than fat you may still be losing volume.

I may have never mentioned it as well but my experience, both previous times I lost weight the old way, was that it took 3 to 4 weeks of major concerted effort before I lost the 1st pound. That is again what makes losing weight such a mental challenge. You're doing all this major effort for a couple of weeks without seeing any scale results and people tend to get discouraged. But you have to believe that what you are doing is correct and that it will pay off in the long run but it is a very, VERY long run indeed to get to the point of losing weight.

More experience as well, losing the weight was not the problem but keeping it off was. When you're in a losing cycle and you see the scale numbers decreasing it is a very powerful motivator. But once you've reached your goal and you start to see month after month of the same number on the scale, what provides your motivation then??

I keep a "before" picture up on my office wall to remind me of where I've been and how badly I never want to be there again.

Energy wise, no, I'm as good as I ever am. I mean I eat less and push myself harder when I walk or run but then again right now I'm also hauling around 58 lb less so it balances out perhaps. I just covered over 6 km and I'll have breakfast after this and get on with my day. But I can remember a period maybe a month ago for a couple of days when I'd have a 30 minute afternoon nap.............

And the more fit you become the more efficient your body gets to be as well so it requires less energy to move around. You recover faster when you are tired. I mean my schedule has not changed, in bed at 9:30 and out of bed at 5:30 and I stick to this 7 days a week. None of the sleeping in on weekends silliness, it is too disruptive and you pay for it come Monday, likewise with staying up until midnight - way too hard on my system the following day. Only during farming season will I push it and normally only during harvest but not if it can be avoided. I tend to be a get my work done during the day sort of guy rather than working all hours with less efficiency..........

Ya, even my gf is finally admitting that she is having fun with with, getting rid of baggy clothes and all that fun stuff. Still can't get her out walking with me sadly but the girl can spend the weekend quilting every waking hour!

Cheers,

Garry

Opps. Sorry about the bumps comment Garry. I didn't mean to be insensitive but wanted it to be a happy story.

I have a before picture although I was told I shouldn't look at it. What I am to do is just have the picture taken, do my first work out for 6 weeks, then take pictures again and compare the two to see the difference. Once that happens, I imagine I'll keep the before picture up to keep the motivation going, but the better motivation is how I am feeling. Although parts of the work outs still suck, the rest of the day I feel better. The muscles feel like they work, the body feels tighter and more capable. That is a great feeling despite how I look!

As for your comment about not being able to get your gf out for a walk. I'm not sure if you even want to try this, but if she likes quilting so much, what if she walks with you for an hour, you quilt with her for an hour?:D Not a realistic suggestion, but just a suggestion. I don't know the situation, maybe quilting is a way for her to decompress from the day and it's alone time for her? Maybe she would love your company during quilting? I don't know, but heck, after a few weeks of quilting with her, I'm sure you would be able to make that Corvette themed blanket!:D

Update from last night. My side program my friend has me on absolutely devastated me and I felt like I went through the wringer although it's not something that I know I could get through. I was thinking of skipping my class but went because I need all the fitness help I can get.:rofl:

Anyway, I figured I would step on the scale as the gym has a much better scale than I have at home. I expected to hit the same 250-252 that I think my bathroom scale was showing in the morning so I set the bottom slider to 250. Nope, not lifting, awesome I thought, I'm below 250 finally. I slid the top slider back. Woo! lighter than 245....243? Still not lifting...240!? Still not lifting!!! I got it down to 236!!! I can't believe I was 14 pounds lighter than when I started!!!

During the fitness class I was in great need of water so I think I'm really dehydrated so that loss is probably mostly water weight but it was so nice to see that I am on my way to losing weight and am below 250 for sure! Wooo!

How did the loading of the grain car go? Gooooooooo 13.3 Protein!

Good morning Riley,

Hey no sweating the bumps comment! No worries, no fears and no slights taken. Just more of a chuckle sort of thing. The doctor that did the biopsy was a "bumps and lumps man" and that is sadly how often people find out they might have a problem. it was that way for me, I just wish in hindsight I might have had it looked into sooner, might have ended up a Stage 2 instead of a Stage 3!!!!

You have to remember Riley that your body is going to be behind the weight loss. I've got a lot of flabby skin on me now but it is getting tighter as time goes on. The rate of weight loss is decreasing and so the skin is also showing some very slight resiliance as well. it will never go back to its' pre-obese taughtness but if it bothers me that much I can save up for a tuck.

We've looked for Corvette picture fabric but nothing yet!

She's ironed fabric while in my modeling room while I've been working on a kit a time or two. But one of the things that attracted me to her is that she had previously trained and done a tri-athalon and I was hoping she'd be a bit more open to getting out with me. Now when she was at her peak weight she did have foot and ankle issues but she needs to be testing the waters to see how things are going 45 lb lighter........

Riley that is the best news I'll hear today, well maybe outside of Manny telling me they'd hit 800 rwhp, but your unexpected weight loss is just terrific to hear and I share your feeling of accomplishment!! You must just be on Cloud 9 right now beyond belief with how it just suddenly snuck up on you and bango!

May this provide many moments of motivation when perhaps the scale is not moving as fast as you'd like it to be!!

I hit 202 this morning, close, oh close. Maybe in a week to reach and 10 days to break 200........

The car loading went OK outside of the 2 hour lunch my uncle and his crew took. As it means I'm waiting twiddling my thumbs at the car site it is sort of annoying. This is also mu uncles grain and it won't be that high in protein. Different management styles affect protein content and he's not with the program yet.........but it is sort of OK to be helping him, the weather is sort of decent and it prevents snakcing temptations too.

I'm still thinking about it, 236. Riley I am really proud of you for accomplishing this! We'll be meeting for no-fat yoghurt on my drive home!!!!

Cheers,

Garry

I would totally be up for some nf yogurt. I am pretty pumped about the lower weight. The only thing holding me back from being this excited was that when I was "lighter" last summer, I moved down one belt notch so I think my biggest excitement will come when that happens again....but with more muscle this time!:coolgleam:

I can't believe you hit 800 rwhp!!!!! That is out of this world! I am really looking forward to Manny posting it up! WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.