This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Columb lock on C5 vettes

This has been a HUGE issue with C5 owners and GM is clear of any actions needed to rectify the issue because GM issued a recall about steering columns locking. Their "fix" just meant removing the locking plate, installing the 'K' harness, and reprogramming the computer so that if it sensed the steering wheel lock pin was in locking position, it would trigger the code and cut off fuel to the engine above 2 mph. GM fixed the safety issue where our steering wheels won't lock on the highway or when we are driving but they sort of left us stranded with this aftermath and no fix....until someone came up with the CLB which tricks the computer into thinking the locking pin is in the retracted position whether it is or not. An alternate method to getting around being stranded is to reprogram your computer to shut the fuel off at 200 mph so at least you can still drive your car if the code comes up.

I purchased my column lock bypass from Corvettes of Houston. I tried everything to get the column lock issue resolved when this happened to my car with the end result of just getting a CLB. They work great and I recommend anyone who has this issue to purchase one.

Thanks Riley.....I didn't have this issue yet but maybe the previous owner did or not...well who knows....I don't know if I should wait till it happen's or prevent it from happening and if it was already done, how would I be able to tell ??

You can tell if the recall has been done by either getting a...oh, what's it called? Vehicle inspection report from the dealership or you can just go and grab your steering wheel in your car and if you can turn it when there is no key in the ignition, the recall has been completed. The bad news if the recall was completed, you will be limited to less than 2mph if the computer senses that the locking pin is not fully retracted. The bad news if your recall was not completed is that the steering COULD lock on you while you are driving your car. If you've had the recall done, I would at least suggest you have Manny change the fuel cut off from 2 mph to somewhere over 200 mph so that you will not be stranded if the code comes up and if the code does come up, then you can install a CLB (or just install a CLB now with the recalibrated fuel cut off and be done with it). If the recall has not been completed, I would order a CLB and install it. I have a write up completed of how to do the install should you want to tackle the job yourself or I'm sure Manny would be more than happy to take care of you.

http://www.canadiancorvetteforums.c...3-c5-clb-install-service-column-lock-fix.html

I just got information on my corvette at GM on the recalls and the guy at GM told me there were 2 recalls that were done on my vette, First one was the seatbelts which was completed in 2001 and the other he said was in 2004 they put in the harness kit, which is different to taking out the column locking plate...I don't know if you ever heard of this but seems to me it corrected the situation...Manny must know about this so called K Harness and if it solved the problem completly....

Even with the K harness , column lock can still happen .
Only sure way is to install the by-pass

Ok , Thanks Manny...I will order it now so I can install it before going that 910Km drive to Cambridge this spring... Do I still need to have you reprogram after the install ??

Not at all . once the by-pass is installed you just forgetaboutit

See you in the spring

Last edited: