Casual User
You're 5
Jan 27, 2018
Cold Lake, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
1975 Corvette Conv.
Bluvette75 created a new event:

Calling all Corvette's! The 2018 Cold Lake Air Show will be celebrating 60 years of NORAD and 65 years of the Chevrolet Corvette! We are looking for all years of Corvettes to join us in Cold Lake from Thurs 19 July - Sun 22 July for Thurs cruise night, Fri street party and Air Show display Sat and Sun. Pre-registration is required to get inside the restricted area on 4 Wing Cold Lake. This is going to be a large Air Show as the ramp will be filled with military and civilian aircraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting prospect Airshow event weekend trip from Calgary ... I will be considering this ... driving but not entering my Corvette.
Any weekenders out of Edmonton/Red Deer thinking about this ??? let me know ... thx

Looking where it's best to stay in cold lake ... Marriott ?

Last edited:
I would love to hit this up but I've used all my "get out of jail free" cards with Ponoka and MITM, plus being the VP of the Saskatoon Corvette Club. Maybe when the kids are older and I can drag one along.

Reactions: ddgermann
This used to be called Grande Centre and was a decent sized town. It's a bit of a drive from Bville to the action. There is a Timmys and a few decent restaurants. I should be allowed back up there by now... It's been 30 years.

Google Maps

My sister and Brother in law were stationed at Cold Lake Air force base for 10 years.

Cold Lake and Grand Center were a couple miles apart. 4 Wing area was called Medley. It may still be Medley but now I think it's all called Cold Lake.I could be wrong since sis has been gone for 8 years. Cold Lake South is where the road to Medley and 4 Wing is. It's about 7 km from Cold Lake South to the actual original Cold Lake. It's about 50 km from Bonneville to Cold Lake. There's motels, restaurants aplenty in Cold Lake but I would guess they may fill up fast during a major air show event. Bluvette may be able to comment more on this.

All good to know ... 50km is a distance from Bonnyville and likely not an option.
Would there be enough interest with a group going to this Air Show to inquire on a block of rooms?
I am partial to hotels that offer a breakfast to grab from ... (ie Holiday Inn Express or similar)
I can easily hook up through Red Deer and/or Edmonton for a trip up on Friday Night for Saturday & Sunday.
This would make for a weekend event ...

Reactions: Brent08
Just booked a room...

Decent deal and a steakhouse on location!

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 18.21.39.png

Just seeing the Apache on static display is worth this trip. Hopefully,one can get close enough to see the 30 mm chain gun under the nose. The F-22 is the loudest thing you’ll ever hear. The stuff this plane can do in the air with thrust vectoring is beyond what your eyes will comprehend. It is quite simply,the sickest thing in the skies today.

Walking around many B-52 Stratofortress planes in Abbotsford over the years,I always say to myself,,,” Holy s..t,just how many people has this plane killed.” Yup!! Airshows are right up my alley.

I also encourage displays. Our local muscle car collector brought his Ford table and chairs in, and I did an Apollo moon mission display as the original owner - Eugene Cernan - was the last Apollo mission commander (Apollo 17) and last man to step off the moon's surface. So I displayed his license plates, his mission patch, a photo of Eugene next to his Cadillac CTS and the guy who bought the car from him in 2005, the 3' tall model of the Saturn V rocket and a mini model of the lunar lander.
75 Vette Vehicle Display.jpg
Vehicle Display in Hangar 1.jpg

So as you can see from the photos we will have rope stanchions, rope and sandbags to help hold those stanchions in place. I also plan to have an historic display at the back of the show with information and photos relating to the history of the car. I was at Bowling Green over a year ago and took lots of photos in preparation for this 2018 show, and I have the permission from the NCM to recreate their posters and information for our show.

This used to be called Grande Centre and was a decent sized town. It's a bit of a drive from Bville to the action. There is a Timmys and a few decent restaurants. I should be allowed back up there by now... It's been 30 years.

Google Maps
You'll like the changes that have taken place in Cold Lake. The city of Cold Lake was an amalgamation of Grand Centre, Cold Lake, and Medley (the 4 Wing air base). This amalgamation of population now has the City around 13-14,000 people. The four lane Hwy 28 going through the city was redesigned with the lanes widened and a wider concrete divide added between North and South lanes. The four lanes now extends all the way to Cold Lake North just shy of the lake itself, with a red concrete boulevard extending from the Chrysler Dealership to the Tri-City Mall.

For shopping and restaurants we have a Walmart Superstore and a Canadian Tire as the two largest box stores in town. You'll find McDonalds, 2x Timmies, Wok Box, Taco Time, The Sawmill Steakhouse, A&W, Clarke's General Store and Eatery, Humpty's Restaurant, Lakeland Inn dining room and coffee shop (plus Taps Bar and the Oakroom bar inside the Inn), Beantrees Café (downtown 50th Ave) and lots of pizza shops in Cold Lake.

You can try the city website for accommodations - Accommodations | City of Cold Lake. Bonnyville has recently built some new hotels on the east end that you can check out online as well. If you're in Bonnyville you'll want to check out Jenny's Diner (50's themed). Hope this helps!

Just booked a room...

Decent deal and a steakhouse on location!

View attachment 14252
Best Western was completely renovated about 8 years ago. Same couple that owns the BW also owns the Holiday Inn. Holiday Inn Cold Lake is ranked as the #3 Holiday Inn in all of Canada! Not bad for a small city...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread