Oh there's plenty to see ... as once implied from another CCF friend before me ... "there's no Mountains in the way" ... ;)
I always look at the “Bowden Institute of higher learning” when I drive by. You know,the place with an excessive amount of barbed wire topped fences with those funny looking towers on the corners. Never been there myself mind you.

Contrary to some, you don't always need mountains to enjoy driving Alberta. I enjoy the varying scenery on every road I travel, and the road from Lamont up to Waskatenau and then Hwy 28 through Smoky Lake and all the way to Cold Lake is no exception. I have driven it many times.. Lots of bush, lakes, and quaint little towns. Take the time to appreciate what you have instead of dwelling on what you don't and you might just be surprised people.

Contrary to some, you don't always need mountains to enjoy driving Alberta. I enjoy the varying scenery on every road I travel, and the road from Lamont up to Waskatenau and then Hwy 28 through Smoky Lake and all the way to Cold Lake is no exception. I have driven it many times.. Lots of bush, lakes, and quaint little towns. Take the time to appreciate what you have instead of dwelling on what you don't and you might just be surprised people.
I agree with you somewhat Eric. I’m just saying the Calgary to Edmonton drive isn’t very scenic. I’m looking forward to Edmonton to Cold Lake as it’s a road I’ve never driven.

Oh there's plenty to see ...
The Cold Lake Drive will be fine ....
It's like what I said ... with no driving complaints here ...
well ... other than for one drive I had the misfortune of driving - never again
If one wants to really complain about a road its Interstate 90 Sioux Falls West to Rapid City South Dakota. There's an awesome river view half way but the journey is otherwise torture with sign after sign after sign for the same place I have never ever had the desire to go to because of this drive ... enjoy the link if you want to embrace only 88 of the many signs on this very long straight drive. After doing this, one might never complain about any other drive ...
Wall Drug, South Dakota's Most Famous Road Trip Pit Stop, Loves Billboards (PHOTOS) | HuffPost
... to save on some of the hurt ... fair warning by checking these thumb pics ... this was the most annoying drive I've ever done ... all you see is brutal Wall Drug signs
annoying01.jpg annoying02.jpg annoying03.jpg annoying04.jpg annoying05.jpg annoying06.jpg annoying07.jpg annoying08.jpg annoying09.jpg annoying10.jpg annoying11.jpg annoying13.jpg annoying15.jpg annoying16.jpg annoying20.jpg annoying21.jpg annoying22.jpg annoying24.jpg annoying28.jpg annoyoing12.jpg

and here is the only thing that breaks the insanity ....
missouririver000118.jpg

Good thing the 2019 Corvette Caravan to Kentucky heads East from Rapid City on this Interstate ... just don't look in your mirrors ...

... sorry for the detour / back to the Cold Lake planning again ....

Last edited:
Friday's 9am to 10am start from YEG is in my notes as this gets along ... Should a 6am start be from YYC, it might just hook up in Edmonton for finding us in around the 9:30 range so they can option for all leaving together. Plans continue to be in the making .... thx

I'm thinking that should work out fine. Picking a location around the the Sherwood Park area might be a good meet and leave location just off of Yellowhead Trail and Broadmoor.
Flying J ( Shell )50 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB T8H 2G9 There's a Timmys or a Mcdonalds across the street for a quick breakfast for the road.
Any other locations are welcome.
When Calgary cars come up. They can take Anthony Henday East to Sherwood Park to Yellowhead East then to Broadmoor south. Then its right there. just my thoughts.

I'm thinking that should work out fine. Picking a location around the the Sherwood Park area might be a good meet and leave location just off of Yellowhead Trail and Broadmoor.
Flying J ( Shell )50 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB T8H 2G9 There's a Timmys or a Mcdonalds across the street for a quick breakfast for the road.
When Calgary cars come up. They can take Anthony Henday East to Sherwood Park to Yellowhead East then to Broadmoor south. Then its right there. just my thoughts.
Thank you ... this is in my notes as a decision nears

Reactions: Baby Ray

Yes Ken this is a very good place to meet up and easy access for the cars coming in from Calgary... or any direction. The Edmonton MITM kick off is from there as well. Actually one of the vendors for MITM is just up the street too.

Google Maps

Excellent plan :thumbs:

Any other locations are welcome. When Calgary cars come up. They can take Anthony Henday East to Sherwood Park to Yellowhead East then to Broadmoor south. Then its right there. just my thoughts.

Yes Ken this is a very good place to meet up and easy access for the cars coming in from Calgary... or any direction. The Edmonton MITM kick off is from there as well. Actually one of the vendors for MITM is just up the street too ... Excellent plan :thumbs:

@ddgermann @Baby Ray and any others coming along for suggestion ...
so as the Sherwood Park Flying J is the "awesome" suggestion that I see so far ... this would be the intended TENTATIVE route ??? suggestions ???
likely meaning lunch stop in Bonnyville - there's lots to choose from A&W to a Pita Pit etc for lunch
(preference is to not have a lengthy sit-down diner thing though)

then roll to Hotel for check-in (likely 2pm'ish) and then into Cold Lake once the late afternoon plan is provided to me by our Cold Lake friends

Note ... this is TENTATIVE discussion as the final arrangement will be posted on Corvette Zone folks ...

Route to Cold Lake hotel too.jpg

Last edited:
Folks. Let me make a good suggestions for accommodations; try the Waterfront Harbour Bed and Breakfast. I have been working in Cold Lake since last Christmas and was originally staying at the Holiday Inn Express...which was okay ....at first. (A nice family owns both the Holiday Inn and the Best Western.) I have been staying at the Waterfront this month and reserved my suite for June as well.

The Waterfront is about the same cost as the two good hotels in town but has an excellent breakfast, as much privacy as you need plus genuine personal service to suit your needs by co-owners Isabel and Sharron.

Its on the lake shore and within walking distance of two good restaurants, two pubs, the marina and a huge, busy, family-orientated sandy beach. Call Isabel....tell her Richard sent you.

Cheers!

Information regarding Friday's Cold Lake Street Party
of which part of this will be the AFB Photo Shoot Opportunity with our Corvettes
(note: photo shoot is for 65th Anniversary Registrants only)
coldlakefestival.jpg

Last edited:
- June 18th 2018 update -
Word today is that registration is nearing 80 vehicles
Spots remain open for a C1 and C2 and C4 generation entry
Should you know of anyone who may be willing,
please pass along an invitation to
the 65th Corvette Anniversary Event at the 2018 Cold Lake Air Show
Thank you​

@ddgermann @Baby Ray and any others coming along for suggestion ...
so as the Sherwood Park Flying J is the "awesome" suggestion that I see so far ... this would be the intended TENTATIVE route ??? suggestions ???
likely meaning lunch stop in Bonnyville - there's lots to choose from A&W to a Pita Pit etc for lunch
(preference is to not have a lengthy sit-down diner thing though)

then roll to Hotel for check-in (likely 2pm'ish) and then into Cold Lake once the late afternoon plan is provided to me by our Cold Lake friends

Note ... this is TENTATIVE discussion as the final arrangement will be posted on Corvette Zone folks ...

View attachment 15580

Okay, I wish to make a suggestion; unless you have to stop in Bonnyville I strongly suggest you bypass Bonnyville and the last 40 klick drive from Bonnyville to Cold Lake!

I have been staying in Cold Lake since last Christmas (30 day contract...still going...another story...) and I make this commute to Cold Lake every Monday morning and return home Friday afternoons so I am very familiar with pretty much every route between St. Albert and Cold Lake. I find the drive through Bonnyville AND the last 40 kilometers to Cold Lake to be the slowest and roughest drive in northern/eastern Alberta. Between the snails pace through BV the last leg of the drive is on some of the roughest highways with rocks and soccer moms or semis plodding along...with darn few places to pass. Now add hundreds or thousands of sleepy tourists heading to the air show at the same time.

Here is my routine drive:

Every Monday morning I travel from home, drive east on highway 28 for the first two hours then I turn north onto secondary highway 881. 881 ends at a T intersection with highway 55 so I turn east on highway 55 then I march straight east into a major intersection that puts me about half way in between Cold Lake North (with the lake shore) and Cold Lake South (hotels and closer to the air show). Trust me on this folks, get off of 28 and onto 881 and 55. The pavement is silk, the traffic is light, yes it is patrolled, just slow down for the Iron River school zone, stop at the stop sign at La Corey, keep your eyes open for the man fishing a dugout with his dog, then rip halfway around the traffic circle at junction 892 and you're pretty much home free. No fuss, no rock chips, less stress and is quicker, not shorter but a lot quicker! The hazards are deer and texting drivers of course (sorry, my pet-peeve).

I wish I was attending the show but I go home every Friday to cut grass, golf, annoy my lady....the usual stuff...

FYI, I am totally enjoying Cold Lake and the people. Staying on the lake shore is very cool. Heck of a marina and beach with lots of bikinis and muscles for everyone.

Restaurants, rated by ….ME:

Mamacitas, authentic Mexican food and service that is always perfect. Very casual, owned and operated by Mexican ladies, not TFW. You will need a reservation. Tricky to find, don't let the outside appearance fool you. This is the real-deal.

Picates Casual Fine Dining (my BnB is four doors down....), huge deck on the lake. Good food and service. The owner is the chef....I've eaten there many times but never met her! A
very busy place so book ahead.

Sawmill, well what can I say, its the best beef in town. I don't eat here often but they always do it right.

O2's, yup, a tavern and I like it. Mushroom burger, onion rings and Coors Banquet. Their crispy hot wings are winners too! Nuff said.

OJ's, another tavern. Most popular place in town so i can be tricky to get a table.

BEST KEPT SECRET: all beer is 5 bucks at the Grand Centre Golf and Country Club.... sometimes I go there and hit balls.

Cheers and have fun...I will be seeing you soon...more on that later.
Dick

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread