img_1263_55c9615de0ef81893d6d07673d9566e100725427.jpeg

Probably a few years after Diefenbaker scrapped the AVRO project and all the engineers went to work in the USA
I am led to believe that the problem back then was their "buy or build American" policy.
Since the Arrow was Canadian built, there was no market for it across the border.
Too bad, it was a nice looking aircraft, fairly capable according to history, and I'm sure the French copied the airframe design from it for their Mirage fighters.

I am led to believe that the problem back then was their "buy or build American" policy.
Since the Arrow was Canadian built, there was no market for it across the border.
Too bad, it was a nice looking aircraft, fairly capable according to history, and I'm sure the French copied the airframe design from it for their Mirage fighters.
The US got pretty well all the engineer/design guys. I believe they came out with a star wing fighter not long after.

Reactions: MKC8
IMG_2413.jpeg

Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane [1962]​

sikorsky-ch54-skycrane_5

Well, who would have thought that you could make a crane fly? Well, That is precisely what the designers at Sikorsky had in mind while designing the Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane. Built like a skeleton, this weird looking contraption can haul massive loads underneath its seemingly delicate frame. The large area between its tall legs has a crane which can lift a bulky payload weighing as much as 25,000 pounds (11,300 kg) with ease.

avskbig_1_03

During the Vietnam War, the military version, designated as the CH-54 Tarhe was used to retrieve over 380 downed military aircraft. It saved millions of dollars as doing the same using other methods was far more expensive. It was also used to transport tanks, trucks, and troops. Another unique application was in the carrying of Universal military pod containers which could be adapted for purposes like surgical units based on the requirement.

Last edited: