a3f513e4101510842caba30aa2a84482.jpg

Reactions: 12cents
That rings so close to home...lol... Was fishing on Winifred Lake just on the edge of Cold Lake Air weapons range during Maple Flag. Gorgeous day... sunny... calm water. We were pretty relaxed until 2 F-18s came out of nowhere at treetop level and flew right over us. I saw them coming just before and ducked but when they blew over us my buddy almost fell out of the boat...and then came the gigantic double BOOM BOOM.... Holy $hit...... Was talking to the lodge owner about it when we got back and he said they aren't suppose to break the sound barrier outside of the range boundaries but often do as the lake is right on the edge. He mentioned that he has had his big plate glass window in the lodge broken several times... They pay for it without question. Maple Flag was a great show watching aircraft from allover playing games... Was on that lake for four different years at the same time.

We didn't get up as far as Winifred Lake that often but during the exercises it wasn't unusual to "ingress" to the range from the north... but your story reminds me scaring away an ice fisherman on Spencer Lake (in the range) a verrrry long time ago. Dude was sitting on a 5 gallon bucket with his back against the radiator of his pickup truck in the middle of the lake. Let's just say he couldn't have heard us coming. :)

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
We didn't get up as far as Winifred Lake that often but during the exercises it wasn't unusual to "ingress" to the range from the north... but your story reminds me scaring away an ice fisherman on Spencer Lake (in the range) a verrrry long time ago. Dude was sitting on a 5 gallon bucket with his back against the radiator of his pickup truck in the middle of the lake. Let's just say he couldn't have heard us coming. :)
lol.... you're already past when we hear you.... :thumbs: