Sep 8, 2019
Fort Saskatchewan
VetteCoins
Car
1980 Coupe
Province
AB
Hey folks. Been here awhile but not made many posts so far. I am still searching for what I want!
I have found a 1980 Claret Red with red interior. This car is in nearly showroom condition...for a 40yr old care I'm very impressed with what I've seen.

My question is, what do you see in the future for a car like this. Only 3400 or so made and I'm thinking there can't be that many around in this condition.
I suspect the values of these C3's will continue to rise but, Is a car like this worth saving in factory stock condition? What mods would hurt its value?
Other than an aftermarket air cleaner, headers and a Magnaflow H pipe exhaust, it is 100% untouched.
it was a Nov. 79 build so it has the ralley wheels as well.

Thoughts?

I bought an original 1980 Corvette, Dark Claret with Doe Skin interior and Aluminum rims in 1993. I had been looking for a red one for two years but this one with 41,000 km’s was too good to pass up. I still have it. I think it is a beautiful car. It has a few drawbacks. The original paint is cracking, from a distance it still looks beautiful but mine needs painting. Everybody seems to think the colour is brown? For some reason that drives me nuts. You are correct, that is a rare colour and, I think, a rich colour. It has very low power, 190 hp. Inspite of the fact that I installed a plastic rear spring 20 years ago it still is a rough rider. Some folks think the market for these old cars is aging out. Some think that the current arrival of electric cars will doom these old cars in the future. When I got my new C7 a few years ago, I was offered $15,000 for it. I was willing to let it go but my wife wanted me to keep it, I’m glad I did. It has almost 200,000 kms on it now so the motor needed refreshing so I put an LS motor and a 4L60 transmission in it last year. That smartened it up. I don’t know if that increased or decreased the value, but I saved the original motor and transmission which a new owner will get if they want to return it to original. I’ll probably be dead so who cares. With the new drivetrain and a set of factory option in 1969 side pipes that baby is fun to drive again. I wouldn’t keep that car expecting to eventually get mid year prices. I don’t think it is ever going to happen. Keep it if you love to look at it. If it’s just a car, move on.

I suspect it’s a driver based on the mods described.
I have previously owned 78,79,&81
How much $ is it?
Original KM is ?
Original parts taken off included? As stated best long term value is in original condition.
Thanks Corey. It is a driver but very limited. This owner has never taken it in rain or snow (claimed) and it looks like it. Underside is near perfect. Zero rust anywhere.
I suspect he has the original air cleaner but not the original exhaust.
He is asking $20,000CAD and it looks worth it.
Car has just a tick under 140k on the odo.

I bought an original 1980 Corvette, Dark Claret with Doe Skin interior and Aluminum rims in 1993. I had been looking for a red one for two years but this one with 41,000 km’s was too good to pass up. I still have it. I think it is a beautiful car. It has a few drawbacks. The original paint is cracking, from a distance it still looks beautiful but mine needs painting. Everybody seems to think the colour is brown? For some reason that drives me nuts. You are correct, that is a rare colour and, I think, a rich colour. It has very low power, 190 hp. Inspite of the fact that I installed a plastic rear spring 20 years ago it still is a rough rider. Some folks think the market for these old cars is aging out. Some think that the current arrival of electric cars will doom these old cars in the future. When I got my new C7 a few years ago, I was offered $15,000 for it. I was willing to let it go but my wife wanted me to keep it, I’m glad I did. It has almost 200,000 kms on it now so the motor needed refreshing so I put an LS motor and a 4L60 transmission in it last year. That smartened it up. I don’t know if that increased or decreased the value, but I saved the original motor and transmission which a new owner will get if they want to return it to original. I’ll probably be dead so who cares. With the new drivetrain and a set of factory option in 1969 side pipes that baby is fun to drive again. I wouldn’t keep that car expecting to eventually get mid year prices. I don’t think it is ever going to happen. Keep it if you love to look at it. If it’s just a car, move on.
That sounds like what my plan is for whatever car I do buy. LS and 4sp auto swap is magic in these things. But, I don't want to do that to a car that has the potential of increasing dramatically in value over time.
If these Claret Red cars are rare enough they will become even more sought after and I'd hate to ruin a good collectable.
There are lots of other cars out there one can buy to modify....but man this one is in such good condition! I have a great head start on a build with a car like this!

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
I've owned a number of "collector cars" and my advice is to never buy a car anticipating making a profit. If it happens that's a bonus but buy the car because you love it and will enjoy it. The market for old cars is unpredictable. Do with it what will make you happy.
I agree with that fully. I don't plan on making a profit but I'd hate to mess up a car with mods that "should" stay stock based on its rarity. If it is Infact rare enough to consider it.
I love it as is...and would enjoy it if I bought it. But I also always have the "mod bug" with everything I own! Lol.

Agreed do with it what you will enjoy don’t worry about the next guy. Resto Mods are bringing as much and more at B/J.
I have a 65 for 25 years took all the stock drive train out 4 years ago stored it in the garage. Now has a Blueprint Stroker tko 5 speed what a blast.
Can be returned to stock with minimal
Work and expense.

Reactions: Beegle17
if someone can tell me HOW to add pictures here I'd greatly appreciate it! For the life of me I cannot figure it out.
I can't add a picture to change my avatar either! I see where to do it....but when I click on it to upload picture...nothing happens!
Help????

Not sure for posting but in a reply click the rectangle box

Attachments

• A0462C4F-9CE2-406B-BEF1-17239675ED84.jpeg
    A0462C4F-9CE2-406B-BEF1-17239675ED84.jpeg
    611.7 KB · Views: 8
Beegle........that is a fine looking Vette, congratulations.
For the record, there were 3,451 Dark Claret (code 76) model year 1980 Corvettes.....that's 8.5% of the total 40,614 (all Coupes). Great purchase!
You may want to consider acquiring the 1980 NCRS guide publications, to establish originality....if you are so inclined.
https://www.ncrs.org/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78_1_17

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.