You bet they are. It’s been proven. Nobody reads the EULA . For anything, they just click on install in the case of software for example. Caveat Emptor . This is the GM privacy policy from 2023 , the most recent version I could find, and I doubt it has improved. Read it and weep.
That's the second time you've used caveat emptor Mr. secret lawyer

• Scared
Reactions: 1st Vette
Somebody on another forum pointed out that the GPS for the front lift is in the OnStar module. Not only that, but the OTA updates won't work without the OnStar system.
That sucks . Although I would think that the front lift would only be affected regarding the gps memory function and should still work manually. I’m thinking that if one placed a switch in the right location interrupting power or data flow to the device, similar to your suggestion to disconnect the cable that you could enable the system when over the air updates are announced and then disconnected it again. Needs more research but if that were possible it would be a good compromise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murray20c8
That sucks . Although I would think that the front lift would only be affected regarding the gps memory function and should still work manually. I’m thinking that if one placed a switch in the right location interrupting power or data flow to the device, similar to your suggestion to disconnect the cable that you could enable the system when over the air updates are announced and then disconnected it again. Needs more research but if that were possible it would be a good compromise.
I can see a new thread on it's way. 'Re-wiring Your C8 Corvette Made Easy' :rofl:

If you read the article check the last sentence. We are just dollar signs.

GM Ends Program that Shared Customer Driving Data with Brokers and Insurance​

• Agree

If you read the article check the last sentence. We are just dollar signs.

GM Ends Program that Shared Customer Driving Data with Brokers and Insurance​

I’m surprised it’s only ” low ” millions .

I am "attacking" this matter from two angles......firstly, I just finished writing an email to the Privacy Officer at General Motors ([email protected]) (that is the address from the privacy statement at GM Canada, which indicates that GM Corp is the collector of data, not GM Canada) with a request and requirement to immediately cease collecting data and further to delete previously collected data from my Stingray, gave 'em the VIN number. Second, after receiving information from a member of this forum (thanks, Rruff!), as soon as the weather warms a bit I'll make the effort to finalize the current location of the GPS module and either pull the power plug or remove the antenna connection.

I don't believe I'm any more "anal" than most others, but the facts support the data collecting and further sale, I never agreed to that and nothing about that was mentioned during the sale process or afterwards, and it bugs the hell out of me that my information is sold or distributed without my knowledge and potentially to my detriment.

Just did the same type of email to Toyota/Lexus for my daily driver, since they also collect data from the on-board gps/computer modules, although it appears they don't specifically sell said data. They've already acknowledged the email to Toyota/Lexus, and specifically stated that they would advise when such deletion/cessation of data collection was complete.

L.L.C.

Why dont you write to a few insurance companies to see if they even collect/buy the data in Canada? Insurance is highly regulated and I could see buying data through a side deal with GM being illegal
Well, I may end up doing that eventually. Having said that, frankly I’m not sure that the data they may have purchased from, say LexisNexis (which does have a Canadian operation and a Canadian website) would show any extreme operational issues. I don’t track the vehicle, it’s primarily used for touring, etc.

My actions in this regard are specifically directed at unauthorized data collection and use/sale by the car manufacturers in this case. A product that was paid for in full when purchased. They continue to make money from me, through parts/accessories/vehicle services, but that is my choice, not theirs. They shouldn’t have the right to surreptitiously collect and sell my information without permission or compensation to the end user.

In a world of ever decreasing individual privacy and rights, it’s important IMO to take a stand and keep snooping to a minimum. FWIW a recent article from MSN also mentioned monitoring and data collection from so-called Digital Home Assistants like Alexa etc (which I don’t use) and even “Smart TV’s”

Extreme? Maybe. But it all shows the creeping decrease in personal control of my/our information. I feel the need to limit that, speaking only for myself.

L.L.C.

• Agree
but didnt GM already announce that it's no longer selling the data to anyone?
Yup. They did. But they didn’t state how the previously collected data would be handled or secured, which is why I requested deletion of previously collected data. Not sure they’ll actually do that, but I have the request on file in my email, so they might have some explaining to do if it turns out they kept it and it surfaces, like any statement from an insurance provider, the privacy acts in the U.S. are actually more strict than here, except for their government data collection. Didn’t cost me much to request/require that deletion, except a few extra electrons to add to the email.

L.L.C.

Reactions: redpearl99

Users who are viewing this thread