Not that I consider myself overly cautious, but has anyone ever taken 'extra' measures at one of these overnight car 'outings'?
To be more specific, the Wife and I will be attending Vett Fest in Bayfield in July, as are a number of others from this forum.
Never having attended before, I imagine the cars are parked outside the rooms, hopefully fairly close and reasonably well lit.
I'd hate to get up in the morning only to find a vacant spot where may car was meant to be.
Personally, I would certainly be willing to throw a few bucks into a 'pot' to hire an overnight security guard, if that would act as a deterrent.

Does not make it right. Overlooking what is happening is NOT going to cure the problem. Enforce the damn laws, stop coddling these dangerous criminals.
The thieves know that there are not enough cops, jails are full, courts are overloaded and judges hands are tied. This is the result and it will get worse - much worse IMO. Law and Order is only a TV show - not reality in Canada.

Reactions: 1st Vette
Not that I consider myself overly cautious, but has anyone ever taken 'extra' measures at one of these overnight car 'outings'?
To be more specific, the Wife and I will be attending Vett Fest in Bayfield in July, as are a number of others from this forum.
Never having attended before, I imagine the cars are parked outside the rooms, hopefully fairly close and reasonably well lit.
I'd hate to get up in the morning only to find a vacant spot where may car was meant to be.
Personally, I would certainly be willing to throw a few bucks into a 'pot' to hire an overnight security guard, if that would act as a deterrent.
Bayfield is the 1st overnight event I am attending with my vette. The hotel was specifically picked so everyone can park right in front of their room door/window. I will be putting a steering wheel lock on and key in a faraday pouch just incase. I think hired security would be overkill.

Bayfield is the 1st overnight event I am attending with my vette. The hotel was specifically picked so everyone can park right in front of their room door/window. I will be putting a steering wheel lock on and key in a faraday pouch just incase. I think hired security would be overkill.
Bring a wi-fi camera with alarmed motion detection. Put it in the motel window facing the car. It will wake you up if someone walks by, but better than losing an expensive car that is difficult to replace.

Anyone have an aftermarket tracking device installed?
I would gladly if the insurance company paid for it or offered a discount on insurance to offset the cost.

If our Federal government got off their asses, and invested in new technology (it does exist in many forms) that scans every container entering the outgoing ports in Canada, that would put a end to 95-98% of this car theft nonsense. Flag the ones with vehicles contained and that would be the end of this problem as least for the overseas theft rings.
Every outgoing container arrives at the ports via truck or train.

It's extremely hard to steal a C8 when it's locked and armed. The faraday pouch is a good idea, but I wouldn't bother with anything else.
Steering wheel locks are easy to overcome and they'd have to break a window to steal your car setting off the alarm.

Don't our keys go to sleep after a few minutes and need to be jostled awake in order to transmit?
Yes. Not sure the exact time.

Reactions: DenisC8

Users who are viewing this thread