GM reports that for 2022 they made 25,831 cars (our count was 25,165)

2020 production 20,368 cars, Canada 1490 = 7.3%
2021 production 26,216 cars, Canada 1889 = 7.2%
2022 production 25,831 cars, Canada 1014 = 3.9%

for total 3 years of C8 production: 72,415 cars produced, Canada got 4,393= 6.1%
62A7EBB5-9DBC-4197-934B-52388037570E.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 97733

Wonder if the 2022 short production year August to May might be why the numbers reflect low as no point in shipping a bunch of Corvettes to Canada during the winter months

View attachment 97733

Another odd stat is Canada is the only country in the world that convertible sales are higher than coupes, can’t think of a reason for this

Reactions: kerry4
Another odd stat is Canada is the only country in the world that convertible sales are higher than coupes, can’t think of a reason for this
It must be climate change! ;)

i'm not surprised as a hard top convertible is the best option
I agree. The only caveat for many is cost. Had things transpired differently than it did, I likely would have opted for the HTC as the coupes top is too heavy for many women (and men like me) to remove. However, they took too long to introduce it and I had no idea the top would be so awkward to remove and replace.

i'm not surprised as a hard top convertible is the best option
I agree. The only caveat for many is cost. Had things transpired differently than it did, I likely would have opted for the HTC as the coupes top is too heavy for many women (and men like me) to remove. However, they took too long to introduce it and I had no idea the top would be so awkward to remove and replace.

Having owned a 2020 Coupe and a 2022 HTC , I will be buying a coupe again next.

• Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
I'm very discouraged today, looking at these recent stats, comparing them to the other C8 years, and realizing I'll not see a C8 Z06 anytime soon and likely many years away:

-there's a direct correlation in the recent stats, showing that GM takes away the Canadian Corvette allocations and gives them (mostly) to Europe and then the other countries. This is supported by the stats confirming the US sales remain about the same for all 3 years: 91.0% (2022); 89.9% (2021) and 91.2% (2020), whereas Canada allocations have tumbled by about 50% comparing 2022 to 2021 with the other allocations going to other countries;
-GM is trying to break into the European market and can now satisfy those European buyers who want right hand drive. This trend is shown by Europe getting 2.7% of the 2022 production with Canada only getting about 300 more C8's compared to Europe;
-I suspect that GM will focus on the European market even more with the C8 Z06: it'll want to directly compete with Porsche and the other higher-end sports cars, hoping to attract those buyers to the Z06 and Chevrolet brand.

None of this is helped by the trend of reduced production numbers: the C8 was understandably underproduced in 2020 (20,368 made) due to the initial GM strike, followed by the many-month COVID shutdown starting in the spring of 2020, then the numbers crept up for 2021 (26,216) however the numbers were lower in 2022 (25,831).

So with ongoing production problems as shown by plant shutdowns and constraints this year (making it unlikely production numbers will pick up), and GM choosing to reduce Canadian allocations, I'm now rethinking my next vehicle... :(

Reactions: Cruzin and Gilles27
I'm very discouraged today, looking at these recent stats, comparing them to the other C8 years, and realizing I'll not see a C8 Z06 anytime soon and likely many years away:

-there's a direct correlation in the recent stats, showing that GM takes away the Canadian Corvette allocations and gives them (mostly) to Europe and then the other countries. This is supported by the stats confirming the US sales remain about the same for all 3 years: 91.0% (2022); 89.9% (2021) and 91.2% (2020), whereas Canada allocations have tumbled by about 50% comparing 2022 to 2021 with the other allocations going to other countries;
-GM is trying to break into the European market and can now satisfy those European buyers who want right hand drive. This trend is shown by Europe getting 2.7% of the 2022 production with Canada only getting about 300 more C8's compared to Europe;
-I suspect that GM will focus on the European market even more with the C8 Z06: it'll want to directly compete with Porsche and the other higher-end sports cars, hoping to attract those buyers to the Z06 and Chevrolet brand.

None of this is helped by the trend of reduced production numbers: the C8 was understandably underproduced in 2020 (20,368 made) due to the initial GM strike, followed by the many-month COVID shutdown starting in the spring of 2020, then the numbers crept up for 2021 (26,216) however the numbers were lower in 2022 (25,831).

So with ongoing production problems as shown by plant shutdowns and constraints this year (making it unlikely production numbers will pick up), and GM choosing to reduce Canadian allocations, I'm now rethinking my next vehicle... :(
Europe and others are mostly getting (fully loaded) 3LT, Z51, Mag Ride, front lift, HTC C8s, which have the highest profit margin for GM. If Canada would stop buying 1lt coupes, we would be getting more allocations

Europe and others are mostly getting (fully loaded) 3LT, Z51, Mag Ride, front lift, HTC C8s, which have the highest profit margin for GM. If Canada would stop buying 1lt coupes, we would be getting more allocations

IMO that's not the reason. Almost 95% of the 2022's were 2LT and 3LT and with lots of other options to choose from, I doubt GM is seeing many "plain Jane C8's" bought from any particular market segment and if anything, more of the strictly base models, would have been sold in the States. I suspect it's more GM's focus on these new markets, coupled with its desire to favour the US buyers by not decreasing their allocations, which takes away from Canada's allocations. Unfortunately with this trend, the Corvette is poised to truly be the "American (aka: US) sports car", with a small sprinkling available in other countries, including Canada. Too bad for us and too bad for GM's future Corvette sales in Canada.

IMO that's not the reason. Almost 95% of the 2022's were 2LT and 3LT and with lots of other options to choose from, I doubt GM is seeing many "plain Jane C8's" bought from any particular market segment and if anything, more of the strictly base models, would have been sold in the States. I suspect it's more GM's focus on these new markets, coupled with its desire to favour the US buyers by not decreasing their allocations, which takes away from Canada's allocations. Unfortunately with this trend, the Corvette is poised to truly be the "American (aka: US) sports car", with a small sprinkling available in other countries, including Canada. Too bad for us and too bad for GM's future Corvette sales in Canada.
Canada’s law makers are not doing us or GM any favours with the luxury car tax of 20% on vehicles over $100k

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
Because us Canadians are to lazy to take the roof off by hand. Thats why I bought the convertible. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: OL Yeller

Probably doesn’t help that a bunch of 2020 and 2021 models got flipped and exported from Canada, can’t see GM being to pleased about that!

I’m surprised by the large drop in Canadian allocations. I thought that GM would treat the Corvette as a North American car rather than a US car. I’m sure Canadian dealers know what the deal is going forward and it would be great if they could share some facts. If our allocation remains at such a small percentage I‘ll be getting my deposit back sooner rather than later.

I’m surprised by the large drop in Canadian allocations. I thought that GM would treat the Corvette as a North American car rather than a US car. I’m sure Canadian dealers know what the deal is going forward and it would be great if they could share some facts. If our allocation remains at such a small percentage I‘ll be getting my deposit back sooner rather than later.
as soon Z06 allocations come out (I think July 07, 2022), allocations of base C8 will drop by 1/3rd, so if Canada was to get 1000 C8 in 2023, it will now be 667

With the $3000.00 Cdn.base price increase, plus option price increases announced for Canada the other day maybe some will be rethinking their purchase..

We also don't know that 30% of the allocations for Canada will be ZO6. Much more profitable to sell them in the U.S.

Jack Raccoon you’re to blame for this you cheap rodent!

• Haha
Reactions: Jack Raccoon!
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.