Bob, I don't think you posted anywhere, but how was the experience at the border and did you have to prepare ahead of time?
[mob][/mob]

Bob, fantastic looking car. Looks to be well worth the effort to go get it. I bet by now you've already started to take it apart. I don't know if you've got an air cleaner yet, but there's one for sale just south of me from a 427 425 hp. It may be too expensive but here's a look.
Rob
Corvette 427 air cleaner

Thanks, Rob, but I may try to work up a cowl induction setup. It's also too soon in the process. I'm only collecting trim and emblem pieces so I can drill all the necessary holes on the Belair for the SS427 trim "before" moving to body and paint.

egac5z.jpg

Bob, I don't think you posted anywhere, but how was the experience at the border and did you have to prepare ahead of time?
[mob][/mob]

I'm still collecting my thoughts and deciding how to put it all into words. Suffice it to say that the whole experience was bizarre. On the final day alone, I was in the U.S.A. twice and Canada twice within an hour. ;)

More when time allows. I'm catching up with work.

What could you order, in 1967, which would turn a real nice $25,000 car (in 2013) into a fabulous $80,000 car (in 2013).....and it only cost $84.30 in 1967?

Hmmmm?

3534082.jpg

The answer is Z-24. Look down the option list above. The difference between a regular Impala Super Sport (ordered with a 427), and an extremely rare (one of 2,124) SS427, was a measly $84.30.

$84.30. If only we had known.
2czeu1e.jpg

I once had a real Chevrolet with the Z24 package...Cavalier that is. :rofl: An '89 with the 2.8 V6 and 5 speed. It even had a fiberglass hood with cowl induction that mated up with the top of the air cleaner. :D

Funny how GM likes to recycle the RPO codes over the years. Sorry for the derail. Back to our regularily scheduled thread.

were there rag tops as well as coupes bob?

RPO Z-24 was available on the following four 1967 Chevrolet models:
16487 - Impala V8 sport coupe
16467 - Impala V8 convertible
16887 - Impala SS V8 sport coupe
16867 - Impala SS V8 convertible

As can be seen, RPO Z-24 (SS427) could be added to a regular Impala (coupe or 'vert) or to an Impala SS (RPO Z-03).

That's why you could have a SS427 that was NOT a Super Sport. ;)

It's confirmed. I get just about as much fun out of planning and building a project as in driving the end result. I only wish I'd got going on my current project back in the Fall.

Never mind. There's always next Fall. I'll tinker with it this Spring and Summer, and get real serious by Oct/Nov.

For those of you who've never tackled a knock-em-down-drag-em-out-body-off-bare-knuckles-project, you've just gotta try it once before you croak.

You will NEVER take greater joy from driving a car over one you've built yourself. Seriously. I built this car and I approve this message. ;)

IMG_6369-700.JPG

:seeya:

i know exactly what you mean bob. i couldn't begin to describe the builds i want to do. it frustrates the livin' bejeezus outta me that i can't get my new shop off the ground. it's starting to look like it may not happen this year as i'd hoped. i'd just love to be knee deep in a project. the non believers don't get it do they ?

I admire you Bob, and anyone else who can do this sort of project . I could never do it because I'm too much of a perfectionist ...Even though I am pretty good at technical stuff, nothing would ever suit me, I'd drive myself completely crazy trying to make things Too perfect !

I'm really looking forward to watching this '67 take shape ..Judging by your Vette, it will be a winner ! ! :D

Last edited:
What engine are you planning on using Bob? 427? or bigger? Hydraulic cam? Flat or Roller? What tranny? I love reading specs for some reason. Bench racing is so cheap for me :coolgleam:

What engine are you planning on using Bob? 427? or bigger? Hydraulic cam? Flat or Roller? What tranny? I love reading specs for some reason. Bench racing is so cheap for me :coolgleam:

I'm tempted to rebuild the 427 just as it was, but my wife would never get in the car. So, it's a toss-up between de-tuning the 427 and dropping it into the Belair, or transplanting the 502 in and returning the 427 to the Corvette. If I return the 427 to the Corvette, it'll be with the ZL-1 solid-lifter cam, L-88 valvetrain and 11.25:1.

I'm happy with the Richmond 5-speed in the Corvette, so I'd probably use the M21- 4-speed in the Belair with a 2.73 diff.

The practical decision would be the 502 in the Belair....not that I tend to the practical. :D

:canada:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.