I'm not sure they're wide enough. The ones rated st 16000lbs that were 12" wide were "on sale" for $119 plus tax. I can get a set of Pittsburgh ramps at Harbor Freight across the river for US$60 + 6% state tax = ~ C$80. Going over this weekend for "supplies".
Good thinking!

Reactions: MKC8
I'm not sure they're wide enough. The CTC Rhino ones rated at 16000lbs that were 12" wide were "on sale" for $119 plus tax. I can get a set of Pittsburgh ramps at Harbor Freight across the river for US$60 + 6% state tax = ~ C$80. Going over this weekend for "supplies".
Oh well, good then. I keep forgetting that a lot of you have the luxury of being close enough for cross border shopping. It would take me two days each way!

You could try a "I live (virtually) in the lower 48" shipper/receiver like MyUS.
https://www.myus.com/welcome/canada...MI096SzcvtggMVDkhHAR21nAUCEAAYASAAEgJOjPD_BwE
Some charge fees that diminish any discounts you might get with the lower US (with Forex exchange) prices.
You have to do the homework. One or two aren't too bad for fees.
Yes I am familiar with similar services some even host P.O. Boxes just on the other side, some with shipping as you say. But the fees, and shipping usually make Amazon very competitive especially if you have Prime. Also considering our 73 cent dollar. Still not a bad excuse for a road trip though not that one really needs an excuse. But thanks for mentioning it. I also have an agreement with US immigration that if I don’t attempt to cross the border they won’t deny me entry, lol . Reefer Madness alive and well.

Hmmmm, too bad about that. I'm sure it's not uncommon.
Since the government decriminalized cannabis, they've placed signage prior to most US/Canada border crossings warning about trying to enter the US with it. Still a Schedule I drug federally, even though some states have permitted it recreationally, but you probably know that. Funny how many people don't, such that they had to put signs up for the users.
cannabis-border.jpg

Reactions: 1st Vette
Since the government decriminalized cannabis, they've placed signage prior to most US/Canada border crossings warning about trying to enter the US with it. Still a Schedule I drug federally, even though some states have permitted it recreationally, but you probably know that. Funny how many people don't, such that they had to put signs up for the users. View attachment 117088
Yes the laws are still absurd. If anything for comparison sake given the relative harm to society and individuals it’s probably alcohol that should be restricted. And regarding the signs have you ever suffered through a couple of hours of “ Prime Time “ tv , lol. Says it all right there. Not to mention the fact regarding who more than half of the population voted for in the second last election. There but for the grace of god ….

I pay $120 a month for full coverage during the summer months, however my insurance broker contacted me Friday to tell me my insurance will be dropping the Z06 at renewal because it has over 580 horsepower.

Apparently they added this as a new rule in July but decided to wait until 30 days before renewal to inform me.

My broker will find me another provider so I don't have a new number yet but hoping for similar.

Since the government decriminalized cannabis, they've placed signage prior to most US/Canada border crossings warning about trying to enter the US with it. Still a Schedule I drug federally, even though some states have permitted it recreationally, but you probably know that. Funny how many people don't, such that they had to put signs up for the users. View attachment 117088
As a matter of fact an impaired charge , which I have never had , or apparently even simply having been arrested for anything puts you in the same position. My simple possession charge goes back literally 50 years. You would think that they would have gotten over it by now. I did .

I pay $120 a month for full coverage during the summer months, however my insurance broker contacted me Friday to tell me my insurance will be dropping the Z06 at renewal because it has over 580 horsepower.

Apparently they added this as a new rule in July but decided to wait until 30 days before renewal to inform me.

My broker will find me another provider so I don't have a new number yet but hoping for similar.
The rate you have been paying was based on a Stingray and not a Z06 most likely unless you have some massive discounts for multiple lines of business. Many insurers don't want to cover cars above 500 hp. If your stuck let me know my buddies an insurance agent and also drives a 2023 Z06.

Mine just went up $65/year. My broker said they rated and priced it based on a 2023 car, because they didn't have the 2024 actuarials set up 2 weeks ago. So I'm now a shade over $900/year w/$1M liability/all perils, and $2500 deductibles. Still via CAA Insurance. Not in Alberta, so not useful, as pointed out earlier in the thread.

As a matter of fact an impaired charge , which I have never had , or apparently even simply having been arrested for anything puts you in the same position. My simple possession charge goes back literally 50 years. You would think that they would have gotten over it by now. I did .
CBP bases their decisions on the nature of the crime, and how it's treated/punished in the US, not how it's assessed in Canada.
You can be convicted of a DUI in Canada, which is a federal offense, but it might be considered a misdemeanor in some US jurisdictions, and so not necessarily disqualifying. The reverse is also true, a DUI in New York, without legal remediation, is diqualifying for entry to Canada (if they ask). The pot related stuff is treated more seriously down south, so that's why you're disqualified. If you are asked at the border if you ever smoked pot, and you say "yes", they can refuse entry. CBP border agents are "God", for entry decisions. You can challenge the decision, but the odds are against you. If the issue was on their side of the border, it would probably be harder to clear your name, without legal representation to apply for an entry Visa waiver for you. If in Canada, you can DIY apply for a Record Suspension (formerly aka Pardon), if you really want to enter the US. See more at the Parole Board of Canada. Even showing up at the border with either of these remedies in hand, the CBP agent still has the last word at US Customs inspection. Considering their situation at the Mexican border, it's almost laughable that they would not allow you entry.

The rate you have been paying was based on a Stingray and not a Z06 most likely unless you have some massive discounts for multiple lines of business. Many insurers don't want to cover cars above 500 hp. If your stuck let me know my buddies an insurance agent and also drives a 2023 Z06.
They had the VIN and knew what they were insuring. They just didn't inform me until 30 days before renewal that they don't insure anything over 580hp. New rule came out in July.

They were not insuring my Z06 as a Stingray, insurance companies aren't stupid. The info is on the VIN but they can't deny me before my current plan expires. So they insured it until renewal and then informed me they would not be renewing by the legal amount of days required.

CBP bases their decisions on the nature of the crime, and how it's treated/punished in the US, not how it's assessed in Canada.
You can be convicted of a DUI in Canada, which is a federal offense, but it might be considered a misdemeanor in some US jurisdictions, and so not necessarily disqualifying. The reverse is also true, a DUI in New York, without legal remediation, is diqualifying for entry to Canada (if they ask). The pot related stuff is treated more seriously down south, so that's why you're disqualified. If you are asked at the border if you ever smoked pot, and you say "yes", they can refuse entry. CBP border agents are "God", for entry decisions. You can challenge the decision, but the odds are against you. If the issue was on their side of the border, it would probably be harder to clear your name, without legal representation to apply for an entry Visa waiver for you. If in Canada, you can DIY apply for a Record Suspension (formerly aka Pardon), if you really want to enter the US. See more at the Parole Board of Canada. Even showing up at the border with either of these remedies in hand, the CBP agent still has the last word at US Customs inspection. Considering their situation at the Mexican border, it's almost laughable that they would not allow you entry.
I’m very familiar with the legalities of admissibility. US immigration have access to CPIC , and even if you have a pardon in Canada you still have to apply for and be granted a US Waiver for entry. A quite onerous process to say the least. There is a fee, the application must be taken in person to one of I believe six land border crossing points, fingerprints are to be submitted to the appropriate authorities in the State you wish to visit, record abstract from the RCMP etc . All applications are processed in North Dakota for some reason and you cannot even inquire as to the applications status for the first six months. To add insult to injury this must be done every time you want to enter. You would almost think that they don’t want you to even try , lol . I was given all the requisite application forms by US immigration the one time I was refused entry after just showing up at the border and must admit that they were very helpful and cooperative as they offered, l didn’t ask. Although I had entered previously with no issues but that was a number of years ago. I think before you needed a passport, just picture ID .

They had the VIN and knew what they were insuring. They just didn't inform me until 30 days before renewal that they don't insure anything over 580hp. New rule came out in July.

They were not insuring my Z06 as a Stingray, insurance companies aren't stupid. The info is on the VIN but they can't deny me before my current plan expires. So they insured it until renewal and then informed me they would not be renewing by the legal amount of days required.
Maybe if you pulled out a few spark plugs? Just saying, lol .

Reactions: DW Ruby

When you insured your Z06, you and the insurance company had your VIN but there was no individual rating groups set up for the car. They didn't know what they were insuring. That's why you paid rates equivalent to what the Stingray is. Each car has an individual rating group for Third party liability, Accident Benefits, Direct Compensation for Property Damage as well as for Collision and Comprehensive coverage. Each one is a numerical figure based on risk. Mine are 34-69-54-62 and 46 but that won't mean anything to you unless you understand what Rating Groups mean. You can ask your broker what different figures that your current insurance company had for your vehicle when you first insured it. More than likely they didn't have the individual rating groups at the time for the Z06 and what happens is when the insurance companies figured out what they were dealing with, they either send you a registered letter saying your insurance is cancelled in 30 or specified number of days, or they non-renewal at your next renewal date which is the case here. I know Aviva insurance doesn't want to insure a Z06 but they will a Stingray. Right now other members on here are dealing with insurance companies that don't have the updated numbers for 2024 model year vehicles like CAA that is using 2023 rates for the time being until they have time to update the rate groups.

Maybe if you pulled out a few spark plugs? Just saying, lol .
Good idea, but unfortunately, de-tuning a car doesn't work for insurance companies as I just explained the inner workings of rating cars on my previous thread. I liked your border experiences though. Usually when I show up they ask where I'm going, for how long and do I have any alcohol or anything to declare and wave me through.
If I am in the Corvette usually it goes even faster.

• Agree
Reactions: MKC8
Someone is insuring all these cars, so while it may be more expensive (as it should be), it's not impossible.
I wonder how the insurance companies will handle the E-Ray?
The 'equivalent' HP is the same issue as the Z06, but so too are Teslas, and like them or not, there's lots out there.

I’m very familiar with the legalities of admissibility. US immigration have access to CPIC , and even if you have a pardon in Canada you still have to apply for and be granted a US Waiver for entry. A quite onerous process to say the least. There is a fee, the application must be taken in person to one of I believe six land border crossing points, fingerprints are to be submitted to the appropriate authorities in the State you wish to visit, record abstract from the RCMP etc . All applications are processed in North Dakota for some reason and you cannot even inquire as to the applications status for the first six months. To add insult to injury this must be done every time you want to enter. You would almost think that they don’t want you to even try , lol . I was given all the requisite application forms by US immigration the one time I was refused entry after just showing up at the border and must admit that they were very helpful and cooperative as they offered, l didn’t ask. Although I had entered previously with no issues but that was a number of years ago. I think before you needed a passport, just picture ID .
If that's your personal experience, or what you've been told or read or remember, so be it.
Mine differs, and I live on the border, and have crossed regularly (excepting during covid) for over a decade.

Passports (or a Nexus or other TTP document) have been required since the WHTI was enacted in 2004.
Everyone has access to CPIC, for some stuff, like you can run a VIN to see if it's stolen. No special access required. I just did my Wrangler to test it.
Yes, a Canadian Pardon (or Records Suspension) guarantees nothing at CBP Customs inspection. It does allow you to respond to the security question, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime for which you have not received a pardon?", with a "No" answer, which is a good thing, considering it's a regular question that pops up on things like Nexus applications, and similar security clearance documents.
I have no idea about the degree of difficulty getting a US entry waiver Visa, but that's what immigration lawyers are for. It does look a bit ugly, from the CBP website. You can apply for up to a 5 year waiver, so you can enter multiple times on your approved visa, until it expires, and it's not state specific, as far as I can tell. One size fits all, appears to apply here?

Rather than drag this out into an endless off topic, let's just let our own personal experience be our guide.
Agree to disagree.
Each to his own.
Adieu.

Good idea, but unfortunately, de-tuning a car doesn't work for insurance companies as I just explained the inner workings of rating cars on my previous thread. I liked your border experiences though. Usually when I show up they ask where I'm going, for how long and do I have any alcohol or anything to declare and wave me through.
If I am in the Corvette usually it goes even faster.
Your experience is typical.
So Nexus and Corvette are tools that expedite crossing?
How cool is that??? :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.Corvette
Someone is insuring all these cars, so while it may be more expensive (as it should be), it's not impossible.
I wonder how the insurance companies will handle the E-Ray?
The 'equivalent' HP is the same issue as the Z06, but so too are Teslas, and like them or not, there's lots out there.
Due to the HP rating many will refuse to insure them. Still like you said somebody will, you just have to find one that will and you will pay for it based on cost price new values and other factors that go into each vehicle's rating group.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread