Casual User
Mar 4, 2018
Shellbrook, Saskatchewan Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 HTC-3LT Z51
Province
SK
I’m interested in opinions and advice on wheel spacers for the C8. I was thinking about installing the 20mm wheel spacers from Paragon Performance. Does this affect factory warranty and potential create issues with performance. I like the looks, but what is the downside?

I'm no expert, but GM designed it this way for a reason. I'd think it would effect performance a bit.
I had spacers on a car when I was a kid and the wheel fell off when the spacer disintegrated. Times have changed and I'm sure they are built way better, but, for me, once bitten twice shy as they say.
You can also buy wheels with different offsets if you want.

Reactions: Dik and WE XLR8
Read this. It'll give you an idea of pros and cons of spacers.

I run the Paragon spacers on my C8, and have run 10mm on my previous Porsche to get my Vossen wheels back to stock offsets.

On the street, I feel no difference whatsoever with a 20mm spacer. Almost every single aftermarket wheel runs a negative offset (with factory tires) to correct the wheel spacing of the OEM wheels, and there has been zero negative feedback that I have found on aftermarket wheels with such offsets.

The Paragons are made out of forged 6061-T6 Aluminum. The factory cast wheels on the C8 will go before the spacers do.

I'm no expert, but GM designed it this way for a reason. I'd think it would effect performance a bit.
I had spacers on a car when I was a kid and the wheel fell off when the spacer disintegrated. Times have changed and I'm sure they are built way better, but, for me, once bitten twice shy as they say.
You can also buy wheels with different offsets if you want.
Murray, when you where a kid wheel spacers where pull tabs off of Coke cans...

Read this. It'll give you an idea of pros and cons of spacers.
Interesting article. I don't understand when the author of the article says that using wheel spacers "lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle".

Also wondering about C6 and C7 Grand Sports and Z06 which have wider wheels than the base C6 and C7 Coupe - do the Z06 and GS have different suspension components/geometry so that the middle of wheels are in the same place as the base Coupe's (I am thinking no, but not sure), so for those that say wheel spacers are harder on wheel bearings, control arms, etc., are you also saying that having a GS or Z06 is also harder on wheel bearings or suspension components?

Reactions: WE XLR8
Interesting article. I don't understand when the author of the article says that using wheel spacers "lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle".

Also wondering about C6 and C7 Grand Sports and Z06 which have wider wheels than the base C6 and C7 Coupe - do the Z06 and GS have different suspension components/geometry so that the middle of wheels are in the same place as the base Coupe's (I am thinking no, but not sure), so for those that say wheel spacers are harder on wheel bearings, control arms, etc., are you also saying that having a GS or Z06 is also harder on wheel bearings or suspension components?
Just for the sake of argument imagine bearings at the car, but the axles are 10 feet long so the wheels are 10 feet from the car. The downforce on the bearings would be a lot higher. Bringing the wheels closer to the car greatly reduces that load, but the process still holds right? The difference in that downforce might be negligible, but it is there. So the thicker the spacer the more the load.
A Z06 likely has larger bearings etc. but I'm only guessing. They usually are designed for the riggers of racing.

Reactions: WE XLR8

There is a point where I just try different things and see how it feels. I'm not an automotive engineer, but I have a basic understanding of what I like, and the results I am after. But a lot of it is a by-product of trial and error.

Cool to compare this and that, but there are sooo many variables. Tires, camber, weight, chassis, suspension. Back to your C6 comments, the Z06 and base models were completely different cars, starting with the frame which was like 20% lighter and 50% stiffer than the regular models. So ya, the geometry was completely different, but after years of ownership of a C6Z, I never once had any issue with the stock suspension or rotating assembly. Ask me about needle bearings blowing up from a rocker arm, and boy do I have a story to tell you.

But my personal opinion - do I think that a 20mm spacer is going to have any noticeable effect on a control arm, bearing, etc. Not in the slightest, but to each their own.

Reactions: WE XLR8 and JR410
Thanks for all the feedback folks! I think the real risk might be something going wrong with tires and suspension components or such unrelated to the spacers, but GM voiding the warranty, but I'll take my chances. I just received the 20mm spacers from Paragon and will be installing soon. Still to early to drive around Shellbrook, Sask. I'm itching to drive this beauty! My 2020 C8 arrived October 31, 2020 in a snowstorm and has been sitting in the garage with 24km on her.

Reactions: Gilles27
Thanks for all the feedback folks! I think the real risk might be something going wrong with tires and suspension components or such unrelated to the spacers, but GM voiding the warranty, but I'll take my chances. I just received the 20mm spacers from Paragon and will be installing soon. Still to early to drive around Shellbrook, Sask. I'm itching to drive this beauty! My 2020 C8 arrived October 31, 2020 in a snowstorm and has been sitting in the garage with 24km on her.
Hope you get out there soon!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.