Just called around to 25-30 dealerships in the GTA area and it seems like the 2020 model C8 is completely sold out everywhere, there's even waiting lists past the allocation that dealers are allotted.

Did anyone here manage to get into the first allocation and if so do you have any recommedations for someone still trying to get in one early.

That is my biggest question that I have been sitting back and waiting for an answer. This is a mid engine car which makes services much harder to do, which no doubt will result in much higher service prices. Time will tell, I'm waiting and watching with curiosity.

Reactions: Cariboocreek
That is my biggest question that I have been sitting back and waiting for an answer. This is a mid engine car which makes services much harder to do, which no doubt will result in much higher service prices. Time will tell, I'm waiting and watching with curiosity.
I have waited for weeks for the wisdom of the “Zig”. I wasn’t disappointed....

Whenever a new design has implemented the dealerships who are directly involved with the new model, the people who have hands-on due to the servicing and repairs require additional training. Some dealerships may not have the required tools or equipment to perform the work. Take the new F-150 which now has an aluminium body. Dealerships had to re-tool to accommodate not to crosscontaminate steel to aluminium. Thus labour charges had to increase. I hope that the engineers who drafted the C8 made it easy to drop the rear subframe to work on the engine.
ISO

Hello everybody
For me in France, the problem is simple: will the Corvette C8 be officially sold in Europe?
Sad news for Corvette enthusiasts in Europe: Chevrolet is leaving the European market. The reason? The upgrading of Corvette and Camaro to the new European standards. The reduced volumes of the European market do not justify this adaptation.

I disagree with your statement regarding GM sales in Europe. The C8 was purposely designed for the European market, this is why the C8 will not have standard transmission; ease of production to transfer from left to right-hand drive. the C8 corvette was purposely designed for the overseas market. In the early days, it was a domestic market, GM has to tap into the lucrative sports car market in Europe. Whatever standards have to be met GM will implement, only because they have invested too much time and money in the new C8 for it to rest on the shoulders of the domestic market for this alone once the buying frenzy has stopped the domestic market can not repay the billions of dollars that GM needs to recover its investment in the first year of production.

Statistical sales of the past years of corvettes fall short of the 100,000 units per year. Although GM allows the Corvette to still be produced in low numbers only because the vehicle is cheap to produce. One has to applaud GM in its strategy to use the media to suggest the overall pricing of the C8 after the dust of frenzy buying has settled seeing what the public are willing to pay.
ISO

• Agree
Reactions: BDK and 12cents
Need to shed some light on this volatile subject on C8 sold out. I searched production figures for
2019 C7 I found two conflicting production figures; 27,868 and 30,000 units produced. If GM is going on the past 2019 production figures then this sold-out business is a walk in the park.
ISO

I disagree with your statement regarding GM sales in Europe. The C8 was purposely designed for the European market, this is why the C8 will not have standard transmission; ease of production to transfer from left to right-hand drive. the C8 corvette was purposely designed for the overseas market. In the early days, it was a domestic market, GM has to tap into the lucrative sports car market in Europe. Whatever standards have to be met GM will implement, only because they have invested too much time and money in the new C8 for it to rest on the shoulders of the domestic market for this alone once the buying frenzy has stopped the domestic market can not repay the billions of dollars that GM needs to recover its investment in the first year of production.

Statistical sales of the past years of corvettes fall short of the 100,000 units per year. Although GM allows the Corvette to still be produced in low numbers only because the vehicle is cheap to produce. One has to applaud GM in its strategy to use the media to suggest the overall pricing of the C8 after the dust of frenzy buying has settled seeing what the public are willing to pay.
ISO

There are extremely few European countries that drive right hand side. United Kingdom, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus are, I believe the only ones. The majotity of rhd countries are actually in Africa. I'm guessing Australia will be the highest non USA and Canada export sales for the rhd model. As far as manual transmission being harder to convert, the only difference would be the clutch pedal as the transmission position and shift pattern are exactly the same with both drives. If history repeats itself, there will be less than 600 Corvettes shipped out of North America. The other alternative is if GM wants to get a bunch of C8's in other countries to promote future sales, and if smart, that would be a good idea. Corvettes best production year was 1979 with just under 53,000 units produced. If indeed they only produce 30,000 or so C8 units, they won't have to ship anywhere. The first year of C7 produced 34,839 units. Of that number, only 1181 were shipped to Canada and less than half that to European markets and they disappeared pdq.
With order production now rumoured not to start until December, Cdn delivery will not be until at least April and if history repeats and only 1200 units come north, then it will likely be a sad day for anyone who didn't have their deposit down long before the July reveal. Yes. Some dealers are still getting buyer's hopes up making shallow promises and taking deposits but IMO, consider the 2020 run long gone. At least you will have a head start on the 2021 release.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
There are extremely few European countries that drive right hand side. United Kingdom, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus are, I believe the only ones. The majotity of rhd countries are actually in Africa. I'm guessing Australia will be the highest non USA and Canada export sales for the rhd model. As far as manual transmission being harder to convert, the only difference would be the clutch pedal as the transmission position and shift pattern are exactly the same with both drives. If history repeats itself, there will be less than 600 Corvettes shipped out of North America. The other alternative is if GM wants to get a bunch of C8's in other countries to promote future sales, and if smart, that would be a good idea. Corvettes best production year was 1979 with just under 53,000 units produced. If indeed they only produce 30,000 or so C8 units, they won't have to ship anywhere. The first year of C7 produced 34,839 units. Of that number, only 1181 were shipped to Canada and less than half that to European markets and they disappeared pdq.
With order production now rumoured not to start until December, Cdn delivery will not be until at least April and if history repeats and only 1200 units come north, then it will likely be a sad day for anyone who didn't have their deposit down long before the July reveal. Yes. Some dealers are still getting buyer's hopes up making shallow promises and taking deposits but IMO, consider the 2020 run long gone. At least you will have a head start on the 2021 release.
With everything you have said my friend, I tend to agree. But, for one thing, because of the American market will only withstand moderate production numbers versus sales, GM has to expand to the global market so the Corvette may have a future. The investments that were made to get the C8 to the public is indeed a big gamble on GM's part. It is just a matter of time for the end of the Corvette only by increasing production numbers or placing a much higher price tag on the C8 to be saved.
The American auto companies need to recover their initial investments in a year after production. Hence the European market including right-hand drives countries too. Also, GM's $60,000 equates to 49, 811-pound sterling, and 54, 722 Eurodollars. A very moderate price for a mid-engine sports car.
ISO

With everything you have said my friend, I tend to agree. But, for one thing, because of the American market will only withstand moderate production numbers versus sales, GM has to expand to the global market so the Corvette may have a future. The investments that were made to get the C8 to the public is indeed a big gamble on GM's part. It is just a matter of time for the end of the Corvette only by increasing production numbers or placing a much higher price tag on the C8 to be saved.
The American auto companies need to recover their initial investments in a year after production. Hence the European market including right-hand drives countries too. Also, GM's $60,000 equates to 49, 811-pound sterling, and 54, 722 Eurodollars. A very moderate price for a mid-engine sports car.
ISO
Agreed. GM would love to recoup investments in the first year but I think that is a pipe dream with a production number rumour of 30,000 units. Being generous and forecsting a GM margin of say $9,000.00 per unit, that is a first year net of only $ 270 M. Recovering their initial investment in one year? Not even in the ballpark.... Now. Put 300,000 units out there and the bottom line reads a little better..GM could only wish... LOL... That would not be a good idea to flood the market with a halo car though. Too soon it would become just another car on the road.... such as the Mustang has become....

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents and tyho
Agreed. GM would love to recoup investments in the first year but I think that is a pipe dream with a production number rumour of 30,000 units. Being generous and forecsting a GM margin of say $9,000.00 per unit, that is a first year net of only $ 270 M. Recovering their initial investment in one year? Not even in the ballpark.... Now. Put 300,000 units out there and the bottom line reads a little better..GM could only wish... LOL... That would not be a good idea to flood the market with a halo car though. Too soon it would become just another car on the road.... such as the Mustang has become....
GM is in business to sell vehicles and to sell them at a high production rate. They are not concerned about the Corvette being just another halo car as you have said, they would be ecstatic if the corvette numbers reached over 100,000 per year. GM is in a very vulnerable financial state in the market share dollars, thus the European market. GM is shutting down its global plants, concentrating on its American operations. Chrysler had to do the same in the 70s and we all know what happened after that. The only vehicles that are keeping GM afloat are the pick-up trucks the cross overs and Cadillac. The Corvette is an American icon, if GM had to rely on Corvette sale alone, well they would have folded along time ago.
GM needs to recover its initial investment in the year after production, they need the overseas market to achieve this. If their vision fails to be fruitful they may lose their shareholders.
ISO

100% dead on. No way GM will recoup their investment in the C8 in one year given the price and number of units, even at 40,000. I bet their investment and resources in this car is north of 1/2B $ easily. The European market does not sell a car like this equivalent to US pricing of $60,00. You can buy a Mercedes or Porsche in Germany, Greece, Czech Republic for about 1/2 of what they sell for here. I bet the base C8 would hit $100,000 CAN overseas. I also recall Tadge mentioning the car is easily changed over to right wheel for the overseas market. The Toronto Auto Show is in February. I hope we don't have to wait that long to see the first one in Canada.

You are almost right with your pricing my friend, the German Mercedes is around the same or a little cheaper than the USA version, but, their VAT (Value-Added Tax)is at 19% that is the kicker. The German Eurodollar works out around $55,000Euros for the C8 plus the VAT @19% 10,450 Euros. for just over 65,000 Euros. Now that is a cheap price to pay for a mid-engine sports car that is capable of doing 197 miles per hour. with great gas mileage too. I personally think that GM has a winner here.!! With our Canadian dollar, it probably will be out of reach for most Canadians. Sigh!!
ISO

GM is in business to sell vehicles and to sell them at a high production rate. They are not concerned about the Corvette being just another halo car as you have said, they would be ecstatic if the corvette numbers reached over 100,000 per year. GM is in a very vulnerable financial state in the market share dollars, thus the European market. GM is shutting down its global plants, concentrating on its American operations. Chrysler had to do the same in the 70s and we all know what happened after that. The only vehicles that are keeping GM afloat are the pick-up trucks the cross overs and Cadillac. The Corvette is an American icon, if GM had to rely on Corvette sale alone, well they would have folded along time ago.
GM needs to recover its initial investment in the year after production, they need the overseas market to achieve this. If their vision fails to be fruitful they may lose their shareholders.
ISO

So what are you saying ISO? That GM has to produce upwards of 200 or 300 thousand C8's by the 2021 release? I guess they may as well say goodbye to the shareholders now then. Even Porsche barely comes close to those numbers and they have 11 models out there, with their biggest seller by far being their SUV's. We could start a rumour here now that there will be a Corvette ZORA SUV by 2022....Ouch.... I hope not. I may have to save up for a McLaren instead.... Just sayin'.....

So what are you saying ISO? That GM has to produce upwards of 200 or 300 thousand C8's by the 2021 release? I guess they may as well say goodbye to the shareholders now then. Even Porsche barely comes close to those numbers and they have 11 models out there, with their biggest seller by far being their SUV's. We could start a rumour here now that there will be a Corvette ZORA SUV by 2022....Ouch.... I hope not. I may have to save up for a McLaren instead.... Just sayin'.....
Hey, my friend RruuffDay, Yes that is exactly what I am saying. GM has done their due diligence scoping out the sports car market overseas; spending in access of over $1 billion to launch a new version of the Corvette takes some big balls.
(the old saying goes, what aint broke don't fix it). The global sales for Porsche are outstanding, 256.255 Porsches were sold in 2018: Ferraris sold in 2018 8,000 in the USA.So my friend GMs proposed forecast numbers to exceed 100,000 units per year is doable. The 2020 C8 may reach 50,000units. Top of my head I have no actual data to corroborate these figures, Gms gross costs to produce one C8 Corvette approx $9,000. To recover $1billion in the first year's production is not a pie in the sky deal.
ISO

Hey, my friend RruuffDay, Yes that is exactly what I am saying. GM has done their due diligence scoping out the sports car market overseas; spending in access of over $1 billion to launch a new version of the Corvette takes some big balls.
(the old saying goes, what aint broke don't fix it). The global sales for Porsche are outstanding, 256.255 Porsches were sold in 2018: Ferraris sold in 2018 8,000 in the USA.So my friend GMs proposed forecast numbers to exceed 100,000 units per year is doable. The 2020 C8 may reach 50,000units. Top of my head I have no actual data to corroborate these figures, Gms gross costs to produce one C8 Corvette approx $9,000. To recover $1billion in the first year's production is not a pie in the sky deal.
ISO
What can I say but wow IF you are correct on several levels Iso. I totally understand GM's dream to shatter the overseas market but as I said, that is a hefty wish for the first year or two. I would have thought the 30,000 units this year is do-able but not much more unless they are rubber stamping them off a Chevy Cruze assembly line. I was told by a GM source who probably doesn't know much more than we do that it takes 10 to 11 weeks to build the C8. I have no idea. Supposedly at the moment they are just building dealership and advertising mules but if rumours that retail production won't start until later in the fall, and if buyers all want their cars before next September, that would equate to approx 1000 units per week start to finish to hit 50,000. And if GM actually does only have $ 9,000 gross per unit in the build of a C8, I suppose cost recovery, for the last seven years of design and planning to get us to this point, is reachable sooner than I would have thought. I was basing my conjecture on only $9,000 of return per unit..... If nothing else, interesting discussion... Thanks you Iso. :Cheers2:

In general discussion: To launch a new model there is a breaking in period for all assembly workers, maintenance, engineers, management and vendors. These slow production rates are to ensure quality standards are met and to highlight any pre-production problems, shipping and such alike. Once management has signed off on all issues pertaining to the build the line speed will increase slowly till it reaches maximum production speed on or before the start of the 2020 model year. My concern is that the current assembly line worker who's line speed has been around 12.5 units per hour, may increase to a staggering 65 units per hour; plus if GM stays true to its claim in adding second shift will only compound any unsolved issues.
ISO

I don't see building 65 units/hour unless extra assembly lines are installed. As for Porsche selling 256,255 cars in 2018, that is an entire production number for all models. I'm sure Chevrolet sold quite a bit more then this. If you equate the 911 turbo, Porsche's high end car,to Chevy's C8, the numbers would be substantially lower, I'm guessing maybe 20,000 if that. It really doesn't matter how many C8 are produced yearly. Demand will be high initially, taper off, a new model is introduced and the cycle will start all over again. I for one, cannot wait to see this car in real life. Lots of hype and anticipation. Judging from photos and what I read, this car will be a hit for GM and vette enthusiasts.

It really does matter how many vehicles are produced. I think you are missing the point. Porsche global out put provides a measuring tool for GM to potentially persuade Porsche currently customers to swing over to the C8 As for the assembly line they are already there. ISO

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
THIS JUST IN! Dropped in at my dealer this morning. They now have the order sheet for the C8. But no prices yet. They have a first allocation for customer order vehicles for March/April delivery of 7 units. They are all spoken for with deposit. They have a second allocation for 6 more customer order vehicles for late April/May delivery of 6 units. 3 of these have deposits and 3 are out there for deposit and orders to customer specs for anyone interested. They guarantee MSRP only and frown on the dealers that are tagging an extra 10k on the price. I came really close to pulling the plug but listened to my head instead of my groin and will still let this car hit the market for at least the first year. If anyone in Alberta is still looking and wants the name of my dealer and my salesman, please PM me and I will be happy to provide to serious buyers. Again. They have no prices yet but you can order what you want and be assured of MSRP. They also mentioned that there won't be any discounts below MSRP so if that's your condition, don't bother. If by chance anyone does pm me and buys from them, I would really like a ride.... lol...These likely won't be up for deposit long so act fast if this is your 2020 dream....

Reactions: tyho and ddgermann