This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

C8.R Video: Testing At Night At Sebring

Not to worry AXeZ06, for first, every one of the major renderers (fvs, Chazcron and bdsvavars) have all said that GM will do much better than what they have done; and most importantly, those who have seen the car without any camo, have said the car is so much excitingly better when you see it in person.

Everything about these cars is better in person. Prior to buying one, I read, and watched as much as I could. The first time I heard one fire up (cold), my first question was, "is that stock? ". "Yes it is" he said. From there, everything was......just so amazingly better.

Reactions: ddgermann
I agree. I'm not ready to pass judgement until I see them in person. So far......meh...........

Let’s hope the sound is just a bad mic

Love the huge side intake vent and we now know what the taillights should look like. They look pretty good to me. Certainly throw off some attitude at night.
The transmission question is pretty much confirmed by the sounds in the vid as well. The up shifts and especially the down shifts made that clear to me.
So far I’m impressed with the car. Seems fast and the handling looks rail like.

I see nobody has mentioned the flames on the downshifting in the video. Exhaust sound was different as many have noticed, not what I expected, but they're not finished with the prototype yet.

Reactions: Zora
Looks very fast and tight. I agree with the sound though. Gotta pull them baffles out.... Albeit extremely fast, I liken the exhaust to a CBR 1100xx whereas I prefer the V-Twin roar of the Harley.... JMO

Good question that I do not know the answer too. However, your question has been asked by many elsewhere. And it has received differing options. One person noted that Ford’s flat plane cranks have caused vibrational and thus warranty issues, a second that to build a motor to dampen flat plane crank vibrations takes counterbalancing weights (the enemy of a race car and the enemy of the C8 Z06+ even for customer usage), and a third noted that GM has almost no experience with flat plane crank motors.

Yet despite those observations/comments, many feel that it sure sounds like a flat plane crank.

Guess we will only know for sure when the C8.R’s motor is revealed.

Thanks Zora. IMO, I would put money on the flat crank after listening to it but I am still not sure. There so many unknowns that remain about the C8. GM is really doing a good job keeping information leaks under control. Frustrating for all of us but necessary from a commercial viewpoint.

Reactions: Zora and ddgermann
As an expectant Corvette enthusiast merely waiting for the C8 delivery ...
Although not a fan of it ... I was actually anticipating this sound.
May be simply put as it being more like F1 & IRL than like a Nascar Stock ...
so I am not disappointed other than, until seen, who knows what's coming down
the ramp from the C8 parkade level at MITM-2021

I actually like the change. Less "Ricky Bobby" and more "Ayrton Senna". It sounds like the engine is revving quite high..........

Reactions: ddgermann and Zora
I actually like the change. Less "Ricky Bobby" and more "Ayrton Senna". It sounds like the engine is revving quite high..........
yup ... to each their own ... not a problem at all ... as I definitely do enjoy the sound of F1 & IRL ...
I just do not enjoy the sound when being emulated from many of certain vehicle types I see on
the road all the time. The same vehicles with Drivers that think I'm interested in "showing them"
what I am driving ... this is what is likely turning me away from the sound ... well ... so far

I actually drive my Vette in "stealth mode" most of the time, particularly in the winter. I used to keep it in "track mode" all the time. One day I tried "stealth" and didn't feel as "shouty"....I kinda like that. I save the track mode for when I'm in the mood....very very cool feature of this car.

Reactions: ddgermann and Zora
You sure are right. Love stealth mode on 600+ mile days. Using it comes one after an hour of the morning’s drive — when it comes out of Track mode where it is a lot of the time. If the C8 only would have stealth mode and track mode, personally that is all we would want.

I actually do not find my car very loud inside on the “sports” mode setting as on the highway it quiets down until you hit the fuel pedal significantly. I do not use track mode in general as it has been warned by GM not to on rough public roads. Hard on the suspension apparently.
Now I just realized you cats are likely speaking strictly about your exhaust setting... I have yet to set it to remain in track mode. Well there’s another thing on the list to check out and enjoy after hibernation.

Reactions: YFCvii
I always do not keep in in track suspension mode for the reason you mentioned, and also not fun on our lousy road. However, when on a track...

You are correct that I was referring to stealth and track mode as far as the exhaust loudness only (not referring to suspension settings).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread