Get on a list for a 2022 or keep the 2021 when it comes in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
True. But I would hardly compare the water loaded with salt in a marine salt water environment to any corrosive materials on a dry North American road. Someone living and driving in the summers on a North American coastline would be far more exposed to salt in the air than winter driving inland on dry roads.
Agreed, Thom. The key word is "dry".
Funny story; I know a guy who had a small house 200 meters from the Atlantic, on Barbados. One night he got into bed and fell through the mattress to the floor. The salt in the air had rusted the steel coil springs that bad.

Agreed, Thom. The key word is "dry".
Funny story; I know a guy who had a small house 200 meters from the Atlantic, on Barbados. One night he got into bed and fell through the mattress to the floor. The salt in the air had rusted the steel coil springs that bad.
I know watching the HGTV show "Island of Bryan" that the salt environment of the Caribbean did not help the hotel renovations. But again it's the environment not brine on roads

Unprotected aluminum will slowly dissolve in the presence of salt and moisture. Take a look at the aluminum bits on any small boat in the Caribbean. Or older aluminum wheels on Ontario cars, where the powder coat has been compromised.View attachment 87880
That is direct contact with salt over an extended period of time! Also in heat! Heat is a huge factor in the corrosion process. Totally not a realistic example!
Edit: I drove a Steel car for over 20 years all year long and it showed only a small amount of rust.
It's your car, baby it all you want I am likely to only live another 20 years that I can drive, so I'll enjoy mine 24/7/345 (Yes, not in a snow storm. Right Mr. Raccoon?)

Last edited:
All true. Chloride anions (not onions) will corrode and pit aluminum over a period of time, albeit longer than exposed steel, but it will still occur. If you drive on roads that use that nasty liquid spray on the winter roads like they do in Alberta, the corrosion will happen faster but it it more aesthetics than anything and other than maybe your wheels, few people see the underside of your Corvette. I don't drive my Vette in the winter just because it's my choice and not trusting other so called drivers that I see sliding through intersections on a regular basis. If I did and was concerned about minor corrosion and had unlimited disposable income, powder coating your exposed aluminum chassis will protect it.

Last edited: