Get on a list for a 2022 or keep the 2021 when it comes in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 19, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2021 C8
Province
AB
Ordered a 2021 - still have not received it yet, when I do likely get it in late October/early November it will be time to put it in the garage and I realistically will not get to fully enjoy it until next April. Should I walk away from it (I am sure the dealer would be more than happy to keep it) and get my name on some dealer's list for a 2022?

Ordered a 2021 - still have not received it yet, when I do likely get it in late October/early November it will be time to put it in the garage and I realistically will not get to fully enjoy it until next April. Should I walk away from it (I am sure the dealer would be more than happy to keep it) and get my name on some dealer's list for a 2022?

If you’re car isn’t already built it will be a 22

All 2021s are built so I'm questioning your dealer and them telling you it will be received in the fall. Gilles received his 2022 already...

If in fact you are receiving a 2022 keep it because lists are still very long...

Houston we may have a problem.
Sorry should clarify it is built, just sitting in Ontario waiting to be shipped out west

Reactions: pozi240
I got my 2020 Sebring orange convertible late October. It was the colour I wanted, which they don't make now. Very happy with it. Had to store it with only 400 kilometres or so on it. Wasn't even broken in yet. Yours might be a 2022 already. You don't say what status it is right now. I would say just keep your order. Prices are going up on new and older every day. You won't lose money on it if you decide to sell it when you get it. Probably make some money on it.

Sorry should clarify it is built, just sitting in Ontario waiting to be shipped out west
You'll be waiting a very long time for a 22'...

Typically dealerships won't bump you up the list if you give up your car so I'd check on that too.

Whatever you do...don't buy it and flip it unless you never want another GM product again.

This is a first. The burden of winter storage outweighs the benefits of ownership.

If that's your motivation, then I don't think this is the car for you.
You may be right. I have been storing cars and bikes for many winters. It don't bother me to much.

If you have a Z51 with summer only tires, I can understand not driving in the winter. Otherwise winter driving on days of bare and dry pavement present no problem for me or my C8. People have said "But there is still salt on those bare and dry roads". Yes, but my car is 99.9% aluminum and plastic.
Aluminum doesn't like salt either and can corrode. Plus that brine they spray on the roads these days gets into every nook and cranny it can find. Once it's there it's there for life. That stuff sticks like glue. Not to mention salt getting into some electrical connections.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Aluminum doesn't like salt either and can corrode. Plus that brine they spray on the roads these days gets into every nook and cranny it can find. Once it's there it's there for life. That stuff sticks like glue. Not to mention salt getting into some electrical connections.
Aluminum cares a ton less than steel does. It will be 100 years before it affects aluminum. All cars are susceptible to electrical corrosion if not protected, but they are protected.
Worrying about all this is just a waste of time and all you are doing is saving a car for the next guy. Enjoy the car now.

Get the 2021. My dealer informed me last week my window for getting a car is now Spring 2022 to Fall 2023, and I got on a list last July. If by next spring I still have no allocation from the dealer, I will consider getting a used C8, driving it for two summers and selling it when (if ever) the new one shows up. I should be able to break even if I buy in Ontario and sell locally.

I ordered a '20 in February, 2020. Still nothing. Frustrating. Milton, ON.
Buddy I think your dealership has screwed you over. They are now building 2022s...

Even being a small dealership I would have thought by now you'd have seen a car. I'd go elsewhere or have a very stern conversation with them.

Aluminum cares a ton less than steel does. It will be 100 years before it affects aluminum. All cars are susceptible to electrical corrosion if not protected, but they are protected.
Worrying about all this is just a waste of time and all you are doing is saving a car for the next guy. Enjoy the car now.
This is one car I plan on keeping for a long time. So I am keeping it in good shape for myself. I have summer only tires with the Z51 package. No plans for installing snow tires to drive it in crappy weather. The way people drive out there these days they think they are on dry summer roads all year round. The risk of someone sliding into you in the winter is much greater. I don't ride my Harley in the winter either. Even though I have to insure it all year long. At least a car can just have storage insurance on it. To each their own.

This is one car I plan on keeping for a long time. So I am keeping it in good shape for myself. I have summer only tires with the Z51 package. No plans for installing snow tires to drive it in crappy weather. The way people drive out there these days they think they are on dry summer roads all year round. The risk of someone sliding into you in the winter is much greater. I don't ride my Harley in the winter either. Even though I have to insure it all year long. At least a car can just have storage insurance on it. To each their own.
I drive a mini cooper S in the winter. Way better option than my C8

• Agree
Reactions: kerry4 and pozi240
Buddy I think your dealership has screwed you over. They are now building 2022s...

Even being a small dealership I would have thought by now you'd have seen a car. I'd go elsewhere or have a very stern conversation with them.
I'm fully aware of that by now. They've been evasive about allotment and my status. I placed a 2nd order at a large dealer last April. Will likely see it sooner than Milton.

Reactions: pozi240
Unprotected aluminum will slowly dissolve in the presence of salt and moisture. Take a look at the aluminum bits on any small boat in the Caribbean. Or older aluminum wheels on Ontario cars, where the powder coat has been compromised.
1633613987658.png